Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2021, 12:56   #31
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia : Dreaded mechatronics failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Can you please confirm that they replaced the entire mechatronics module, when you say "parts"?

That would mean you would have spent close to 9 years in all, adequate enough perhaps to consider the ownership?
The next car could be from the Big 3 league by then

Thanks JoshMachine.
The invoice says Mechatronic Unit - so I guess the entire unit has been changed. Will need to recheck with the SA.

Yes, I will keep the vehicle for another couple of years. It is still a wonderful car to drive - and be driven in. Everything works beautifully for now.

Regarding the big three league....a nice thought, though tough negotiations will we required...

with the better half
docsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 15:24   #32
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia : Dreaded mechatronics failure

I had a similar experience with the Battery in March 2022m when the car was serviced in Dec 2021.

our email after the Battery Change:

Synopsis
Greetings for the seasons, I seek your attention to this feedback to feel true sense of it. We aren’t aggrieved at any one experience, indeed intrigued at frequent visits to ASC holding an aspirational product for India. Our Korean car and Japanese car ownership had not prepared us for such experiences.

Background
Our Octavia TSi's 26 months old, completed 2 Annual Maintenance (recently on 15 December 2021). Our driving experience has been satisfactory/exhilarating, while our ownership experience with respect to after sales experience has given us unpleasant surprises.

Recent Visit experience
Reference our Servicing on 8th March 2022, on the eve of a 400 km drive we're at a fuel station preparing for the trip. Post refueling the car wouldn't start with several failure alerts flashing on MID. Video attached for your reference...

Note: there were no prior caution alerts in the instrument cluster. The car gave up all of a sudden, leaving us puzzled & embarrassed at the fuel station to the eyes of everyone with the beautiful machine by our side. We faced several questions which are left for your imagination.

We recorded the indications, forwarded to the service advisors at Gurudev, Chennai and SGA, Coimbatore who were almost certain it was a battery failure. A battery failure with no caution message prior to this (i repeat this). My Honda City/ Hyundai i20 shows a low battery Annunciation light much before it gives up. What an irony to not have such heads-up in an Octavia.

RSA arranged for a jump start in an hour. We could reach the Ambattur Gurudev facility for a battery change. It took 3 hours from us, but it was considered alright to face it then not the next day of it. The Gurudev team was supportive and extended their day to fix and enable us to go on trip the next day. We sincerely appreciate it.

Comprehending our concerns
1) 26 Months on, Battery fails with no heads up, in spite of decent microprocessors inbuilt.

2) Secondly during previous Scheduled maintenance, neither advice nor a prompting about the battery health approaching such low levels was issued to us. When it fails everyone is vocal to say "Sir/Madam, 2 years old the battery is expected to fail'.

3) This unscientific way to experience such failures is clearly not appropriate in the present age. I suspect the Diagnosis was improper or incomplete or inconsiderately deliberate, letting us down.

4) When I/we know a 2017 VRS clocking 23000 KMS has its battery running on till date why not ours. I now point this to the Technician who certainly mentioned it is because of the low mileage of our car in 2 years. Does Skoda develop products only with power and style but not reliability. Should we not consider this? when deciding to buy a Skoda.

5) For us to comfortably drive the next day, we had to change the Battery; with a compromise that we will let go of the Goodwill Warranty claim. The following was stated to us "Leave the Car for a day or two so that SKODA India HQ would decide on what to offer us. Our video was not enough and the Diagnose report during battery change is not adequate for SKODA HQ". Infuriating is such an elaborate process in the digital age. Unbelieving the Owners experiences.

6) May we assume, in December when our skoda was being serviced, the battery health was deliberately kept off the discussion to save replacement under warranty.

7) Various other justification "eco friendly & safe battery" are not acceptable to us, when the fundamentals are not met. A Balanced approach is necessary in building a good product. My Approval of Skoda for India is at the lowest, when ease of maintenance and reliability is not met in my experience. Check out Various Forums to have a pulse of it all.

Few more to digest
After the scheduled servicing on15 December 2021, 3 days later on 18th December 3 days, I had a failure message which took me off my planned drive to the service station. A Diagnosis was run to discover LHS Rear View mirror Indicator light failure. I was irritated after 3 hours of being there and paid for it.

Alas I hate these failures but have been restraining myself from complaining until now. Apart from 2 Annual Maintenance visits and 2 Minor Repairs due Accidents, I have had 4 unscheduled surprise visits due part failures, Electric Seat Failure (During a Long drive, our Co-Driver seat stops working. In July 2021 our car had to be left for 3 days at the Service station to identify and replace the Wiring), etc.

Sum up
To sum it up, we are conclusive that we can’t own only one car when we wish for a Skoda. We need to have an alternate car for such scenarios. We ought to cater for such surprises. And can’t have 2 Skoda's in my Garage.

Haven’t got a suitable closure to this matter

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks