Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Old 12th April 2021, 10:50   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Renault Duster: Engine timing changed, warranty denied, pathetic customer service

Not going into the technical aspects, if the coolant not being changed is the reason given for warranty being void, they should not have approved your extended warranty. If they did they should honor it else refund the money you paid for it. Push for the latter now since you have anyways moved to an FNG.
Altocumulus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 23:13   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Renault Duster: Engine timing changed, warranty denied, pathetic customer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
Do you see the shiny spots on the bak of the pulley. These spots will show that it was torqued correctly.
I could not figure out much but could see the spots covered in grease. Not sure what to make of it.
Name:  IMG_20210412_182334__01__01.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  216.2 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiguy View Post
But of course, the service center is reneging on the warranty claim and the reasons given are absolutely unbelievable. My daily drive is a 5.4L 4x4 in the middle east, didn't change the coolant for 9 years / 100,000 kms, just topped up. When a coolant hose burst recently, i lost half the coolant, topped up with tap water and drove for 3 months in 40 to 50 deg C ambient before replacing the coolant, and the engine temperature never budged from normal.

I'd put all the facts on paper, ask a Lawyer to draft a letter brimming with legal jargon and demand that the car be repaired under the warranty within 7 days, failing which you would have it repaired elsewhere reserving the right to claim all costs through the appropriate forum. If the letter won't bear results, go ahead with repairs while keeping records of all costs, and subsequently take a decision on pursuing the matter through the consumer courts.
I have waited for them for more than 2 weeks now, though I did not send any mail / letter drafted by a lawyer. But I am thinking of getting it drafted now saying we waited for this long and went ahead with repairs. Haven't discussed it yet with any lawyer, will keep you posted on this once I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Not going into the technical aspects, if the coolant not being changed is the reason given for warranty being void, they should not have approved your extended warranty. If they did they should honor it else refund the money you paid for it. Push for the latter now since you have anyways moved to an FNG.
Yes this is my next plan, will be shooting a mail to their heads tomorrow. Since they claim this to be coolant issue and if they knew a coolant would cause major issues like this then why did they even approve the warranty only to deny repairs under it later, will be my question.
prguru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 23:47   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
I could not figure out much but could see the spots covered in grease. Not sure what to make of it.
Attachment 2143824
Looks like your pulley bolt has not been torqued correctly or the mechanic forgot to tighten it at all. That is also the reason your seal leaked. The timing belt sprocket has just to move out a few millimeters to clear the oil seal. Perhaps 2 or 3 mm. On my car it clears in about a millimeter.

Has the timing belt ever been replaced? Looks like you have been driving for some time with a loose bolt.
Have him pull out the sprocket and and show you the swelling of the seal. There will be none. This damage to your car is clearly not your fault at all. Tell them to fix it with no discussions. If he does not seek legal advice.
You are lucky they gave it all to you in writing. Renault is looking at some bad publicity. Better still if you get a journalist interested in writing a piece about it and apply pressure.
Anybody can sell cars and run a workshop but their real skills show in customer service.

Something similar happened to me last summer. My timing belt was replaced in December and while on holiday my fan belt snapped causing some damage inside the engine bay. The rollers and tensioner were damaged.The local VW dealer fixed it for me for which I paid 1400 euros

2 months later it happened again and this time I noticed that the servo pulley was mounted inside out.

My VW dealer took responsibility and replaced the belt again free of charge and paid me my 1400 euros back.
There was no discussion. They just told me that they will reimburse me and fix it and they did.
Indian2003 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 00:04   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post

Has the timing belt ever been replaced? Looks like you have been driving for some time with a loose bolt.
Yes it was replaced about 10k kms ago at the A.S.S as per their service schedule.

Quote:
Have him pull out the sprocket and and show you the swelling of the seal. There will be none.
Will check this but there was some oil residue on the pulley. If the seal is intact it will tell a different story then. I got the car out of A.S.S and decided to get it fixed from a trusted F.N.G. Even mailing to top leaders at Renault did not make a difference and all they did was to forward my mail to the same service manager who went about the same story again and I did not want to waste anymore time. They did not give me in writing or email but I have the recording of two of their SA's and their Service Manager also repeating the same story and trying to convince me to drop pursuing for warranty claim and shooting mails to their bosses.

If any lawyers are reading this please DM me, need some information.

Quote:
My VW dealer took responsibility and replaced the belt again free of charge and paid me my 1400 euros back.
There was no discussion. They just told me that they will reimburse me and fix it and they did.
There it is a different story and the laws are very strict and fines hefty ! Here customers are taken for granted. I am disappointed at Renault's apathy towards a customer with a valid case, they did not even bother to assign an expert mechanic to look into it or have a Renault mechanic talk to me to understand the problem.
prguru is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed