Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2021, 10:15   #1
Team-BHP Support

Brand new Mahindra Thar | Oil leak | Towed to dealer

Thanks to Vaibhav Singh Rajput for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
Hello Team-BHP,

Thank you for the wonderful content. I'm a frequent visitor to the forum and have been following the Mahindra Thar 2020 thread from the past 2 years. The thread has kept my patience in check while I was waiting for Thar to launch and then for the delivery.

After a waiting period of 5 months, I got the delivery of new Mahindra Thar on 26th March. The same evening, I took it out for a drive and after driving it for about 100 kms, I noticed the left-side of the footwell area getting hot. I cut short my drive and came back home. The next day, I drove the car, and the heating issue did not arise again. So, I thought maybe it was because of the heater.

First service was done after 950 kms on April 1st, 2021. In the first service, I mentioned this one-time issue to the service advisor to which he said he will see. The oil filter and engine oil were changed on my request, though it was not necessary. While the Thar was getting serviced, I was present there. I managed to capture a photograph of the underbody and there was no leak.
Underbody photo taken during first service:
Brand new Mahindra Thar | Oil leak | Towed to dealer-img_20210401_163739.jpg

Oil filter (could not take proper photo as filter was hot):
Brand new Mahindra Thar | Oil leak | Towed to dealer-img_20210401_165437.jpg

Brand new Mahindra Thar | Oil leak | Towed to dealer-img_20210401_165504.jpg

Quote:
After the first service, I have driven around 1,900 km which includes a 1,100 km road trip (some offroading as well) and did not face the heating issue in the footwell again. But yesterday, when I was driving Thar, I noticed the footwell area near the clutch getting hot again and figured out that it might be gearbox. I came home and checked the parking area only to find drops of oil on the floor which I hadn't noticedf earlier. Then I got under the vehicle to confirm the oil leak. Below are the photos of oil leaking near gearbox area and on the floor.
Oil Leak:
Brand new Mahindra Thar | Oil leak | Towed to dealer-img_20210417_205409-1.jpg

Floor of the parking:
Brand new Mahindra Thar | Oil leak | Towed to dealer-img_20210417_204942-1.jpg

Brand new Mahindra Thar | Oil leak | Towed to dealer-img_20210418_112225.jpg

Quote:
Immediately, I called Mahindra customer care, and informed them about the issue. They were helpful in arranging the roadside assistance towing service. The Thar has been handed over to the Sireesh Auto service center in Marathalli, Bangalore. Unfortunately, the service center is closed as it is Sunday. Will update you guys tomorrow.

Advice Needed: This is my first new purchase, and I really love this vehicle. I don't know if should be satisfied by the repair work, or ask for replacement of the defective part (in this case it might be the gearbox). Some have suggested that I should ask for a replacement since the issue may resurface in the future if the same part is used. I would be grateful if Mahindra vehicle owners, or other members can share what they think I should do.

Thanks and Regards
Vaibhav

Last edited by Aditya : 19th April 2021 at 10:27.
Aditya is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 10:29   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Brand new Mahindra Thar | Oil leak | Towed to dealer

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 18:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Vaibhav Singh Rajput for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
Update (Mon, 19 April 2021):

Note: The leak was not from the gearbox but from the cam cover gasket.

I visited the Mahindra service centre today around 9:00 AM. There I met the person in charge of the service centre, informed him about the issue, and shared the underbody pictures of the Thar. The service team checked the engine oil level (it was normal) and took the vehicle to the workshop and lifted it on the ramp.

After the initial inspection, the service centre incharge informed me that the oil is not leaking from the gearbox, but somewhere from the engine. I also informed him what I thought maybe the other issues with my Thar. Those are
squeaking noises while engaging hill descent control feature.

While upshifting from 1-2 and 2-3, there is noise if the clutch is released faster than normal. This doesn't happen in 3-4, 4-5, and if I release the clutch slowly, there is no noise.

The left side of the footwell area is getting heated. He told me not to worry and they will inspect these points as well after the oil leak issue is sorted out and will keep me updated. And then I came back for some office work.

In the afternoon, as I was about to leave for the service center, I got a call from the service center incharge that the leak is from the cam cover gasket, and that they are going to replace the part. I was informed that the work should be done by evening.

I want to highlight that the service team was very helpful and supportive, especially the person incharge of the service center, and hope they resolve the issue and it never resurfaces again.

Thanks & Regards
ChiragM is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 10:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

I see M&M's test mule all the time, it's amazing to see them not deliver quality product even after so much testing! Makes me think how their testing works.
giri1.8 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 10:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

This may be an exaggeration, but looking at the number of issues Mahindra Thar owners are reporting, Mahindra can offer a permanent spot for Thars in their service stations.

Owners can purchase cars, and no need to take them to temple or home. They can directly drive them to service stations to the permanent spot reserved for them. Give complaints to SA and pick an auto to reach home.

When ever they get a desire to drive, they can call up SA, check if vehicle is fit for long drives and if confirmed as fit, go on long drive.

Again, while coming back, drop the car in Service centre with new set of complaints and reach home by auto

While the post above looks sarcastic, I sincerely think it may be real story of many people.

First, XUV5OO had so many niggles and issues. Then came XUV3OO. Now Thar, multiple issues are getting reported by many owners.

What is Mahindra doing? Turning blind to all the issues and raising prices with out addressing root cause of any of the issues reported.

Last edited by gkveda : 24th April 2021 at 10:46.
gkveda is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 10:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
I see M&M's test mule all the time, it's amazing to see them not deliver quality product even after so much testing! Makes me think how their testing works.
I don't think this is an improper testing issue, this just might be a QC issue. With the humungous demand for the Thar, the factory might be working in three shifts to meet the demand and the shop floor workers might be over worked and being pushed to meet numbers. When this happens after a point the technician in-charge of that station might slack off and let one improperly torqued piece by or may not set the seal properly as he is running behind the line.
Beerus is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 11:03   #7
BHPian

I feel so sorry about your bad experience with your new baby. After reading through your findings, I must appreciate your initiative in following the basics of inspection. Just to inform you that the underbody pictures where you show the oil droplets are of an engine oil which is always black and G.B oil doesn't have this color (usually it is transparent red).

Points to be noted here is.
1. Oil leakages in new vehicles have become a big time scene in our country with almost all the manufacturers in mass segments keep bringing up new bulletins to replace the sealant or gasket or perform any other additional jobs on customers vehicle.

2. With regards to the gear shifting concern, I suggest you to please compare your findings with other vehicle to determine whether the shifting noise is genuine or not. As these days all the G.B's have synchronizes a quick shift will always produce sound when operated half clutch, not to forget this can seriously damage the gears and warranty will be affected.

3. The heating near the clutch pedal may be due to poor heat insulation at the firewall region, compare the same with a T.D vehicle.

Looking forward with earliest update to the same.

NOTE: Do not be in a heist to pick the vehicle immediately please take assurance with the service manager and do perform a final inspection on the vehicle (incl. underbody check) in the presence of the manager, SA and sr. technician additionally do take pictures too for future references.
sameerpatel90 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 11:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post

Update (Mon, 19 April 2021):

Note: The leak was not from the gearbox but from the cam cover gasket.

I visited the Mahindra service centre today around 9:00 AM. There I met the person in charge of the service centre, informed him about the issue, and shared the underbody pictures of the Thar. The service team checked the engine oil level (it was normal) and took the vehicle to the workshop and lifted it on the ramp.

After the initial inspection, the service centre incharge informed me that the oil is not leaking from the gearbox, but somewhere from the engine. I also informed him what I thought maybe the other issues with my Thar. Those are
squeaking noises while engaging hill descent control feature.

While upshifting from 1-2 and 2-3, there is noise if the clutch is released faster than normal. This doesn't happen in 3-4, 4-5, and if I release the clutch slowly, there is no noise.

I have my doubts regarding M&M's word that the leak from cam cover gasket. I suspect the leak is from the engine rear oil seal inside the bell housing.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 12:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerus View Post
I don't think this is an improper testing issue, this just might be a QC issue. With the humungous demand for the Thar, the factory might be working in three shifts to meet the demand and the shop floor workers might be over worked and being pushed to meet numbers.
It doesn't matter what type of classification the issue falls under, the end result is that the customer has to suffer after putting his/her hard earned money into these brands. Just for your kind information, if you are not aware you can search for 2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions on this very forum itself.

My request is to be realistic and be open to criticize and demand quality experience irrespective of the brand. And why can't Mahindra get this right? So what if the demand is huge? Will they simply start skipping quality checkpoints? Might as well deliver one without an engine then to reduce delivery times.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 13:38   #10
BHPian

Irrespective of manufacturers, I believe this issue is prevalent in our country because of the laxity around consumer rights and the loopholes in the laws related to the consumer rights. The manufacturers know they'll most likely get through unharmed in our country, because of the chalta hai/$hit happens attitude. In case someone has the balls to take on these manufacturers, the case will go on for decades before a verdict is given! Who's gonna spend their valuable resource, time and effort running pillar to post to get their complaints heard and get compensated? This is the fear that the manufacturers play to, and get by, every single time!

Imagine someone spending close to 2 million rupees for buying his/her dream vehicle only to drive it to the service centre every week! I wish that his nightmares may soon be over and he could drive this otherwise brilliant piece of machinery to the real place it deserves to be driven at.
mav3r1ckblu3 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 14:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I have my doubts regarding M&M's word that the leak from cam cover gasket. I suspect the leak is from the engine rear oil seal inside the bell housing.
Indeed, one needs to check the area around the flywheel.
Seals can fail even on new vehicles..
Quite a tedious affair to fix I'm afraid (but manageable)

Last edited by bikertillidie : 24th April 2021 at 14:01.
bikertillidie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 15:18   #12
BHPian

Is no one worried about the mettalic bits on his finger from the filter??

Could someone throw light on this please.
viXit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 16:23   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Is no one worried about the mettalic bits on his finger from the filter??

Could someone throw light on this please.
Such cases actually needs to be thoroughly checked as there are ample of things to be considered to understand these tiny particles found in the engine oil filter. As the vehicle is new minor particles are common but to avoid any consequential damage refilling the engine with another oil and running for few mins and drain inspection can give us some evidence about whether is there any serious issue or not. Just by putting on paper about the procedure it is better to perform an inspection can eradicate any suspicion.
Old 24th April 2021, 17:05   #14
BHPian

This is exactly the reason why I steer away from Mahindra products no matter how good they seem to be. I used to own a Logan from the Renault-Mahindra JV more than a decade ago and everything about that car was harrowing.

Value proposition, design, and other points of the Mahindra/Mahindra JV cars aside, bad reliability and poor ASS is a sure-shot way to create a nightmare for customers.

I really hope that you have your issue sorted soon! I had an overheating issue with the Logan as well when it was new and demanded a full replacement of the faulty part which after some cajoling they agreed to. I would also say that in case you are not satisfied with the current ASS responses, you can try raising the problem. One of the things I have noticed with Mahindra is that they are super receptive to your problems when you raise them to higher levels.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 17:48   #15
BHPian

One really needs rock solid patience & unabated love for such a vehicle - I don't think this car can be the "only" vehicle in a family - imagine having a critical situation & your car breaking down on you?! And to think - this car has been awarded as COTY by so many magazines / channels!

At least the positive side is that Mahindra is responding fast & resolving issues - demand for a car cannot be an excuse for skipping qc's - A single model of Maruti Suzuki probably sells more than all models of Mahindra and its rare to see a "break-down" post about MS cars.
jeetumg27 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks