Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2021, 15:22   #1
BHPian

Auto-folding mechanism of the ORVM stops working

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2011 Toyota Corolla Altis D4D G. The driver side auto-folding rear view mirror on the car stopped working a few days ago. It has been having niggles since the past few weeks - it would work on most days, but on some days it would stop working for no reason. A few days ago it decided to stop working completely.

I took the car to the ASC and they said that the retracting mechanism/gear or something thereabout has been broken and I need to replace the entire mirror assembly which costs Rs. 19543.00 and is too expensive and hence not an option for me.

I live in Aurangabad city in Maharashtra and do not know any FNGs there, so I can't ask them either. I did a round of the few scrap dealers who deal in old car parts and I couldn't find the mirror assembly. Even if I had managed to find one, I am not sure it would have been very useful, since mine has stopped working due to age.

I did look online and found a website (Autoretails.com) offering new replacement mirrors for Rs. 5620.00, which is much cheaper than the OEM option. I also found another mirror from a brand called Motherson on another website (motrparts.com) costing Rs. 3992, but for the 2014 onwards model.

My query is, can these websites be trusted? Does anyone here have any experience with these websites and these brands?

I was hoping to get a new mirror assembly from one of these sites, preferably the Motherson one and then replace the internal parts on my existing mirror with the internal parts of the new mirror. Is this a sensible thing to do? Would the internal mechanism on a 2014 model be the same as on a 2011 model?

Are there any other options of getting the internal parts (retracting mechanism) for the mirror?

MODS - I am not sure if I am right in mentioning the names of the websites and the brands directly. If I am in violation of the forum rules, I request you to kindly collapse my post.

Thank you for your valuable inputs.
Old 25th April 2021, 15:32   #2
BHPian

re: Auto-folding mechanism of the ORVM stops working

If you anyway plan to open the ovrm assembly, see if you can identify what is broken. It might end up being a simple broken part fixable with glue. In my case driver side power window switch went partially dead and cause was a tiny plastic pin. Fixed using 5rs fevistick. New module cost 2160/-
akshay380 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 16:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
If you anyway plan to open the ovrm assembly, see if you can identify what is broken. It might end up being a simple broken part fixable with glue. In my case driver side power window switch went partially dead and cause was a tiny plastic pin. Fixed using 5rs fevistick. New module cost 2160/-
I am not going to open it myself as I have no idea how to repair a vehicle, or open any of its parts. I will take the new assembly to someone, probably the ASC itself and ask them to do the swap (Mechanism of the new ORVM to the mechanism of the old ORVM).
Old 25th April 2021, 16:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareekvirendra View Post
Are there any other options of getting the internal parts (retracting mechanism) for the mirror?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Dad's Ciaz suffered a hit and run recently. Side view mirror had taken a beating. New one costs INR 5,000. Get this one and salvage parts if you want. Toyota is anyway rebadging Suzuki's cars these days.

In our case, Maruti suggested we get a new one. We managed to fix the electronics on our own and only bought the plastic casing from them.
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 16:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Get this one and salvage parts if you want. Toyota is anyway rebadging Suzuki's cars these days.
Ah, cross shopping! I hadn't given that a thought. It might be a great idea, I can get OEM parts at a lesser price. Come to think of it, I can get the mirror of a Yaris, which I hope will have the same internals as the Altis.

Thank you so much, this is a great idea. Now to just find someone who can help me execute it
Old 25th April 2021, 17:42   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Just curious, why not just leave the mirrors in open position? I rarely use this feature on my cars.

I remember someone posting on this forum about 3D printing the worn out/broken part of mirror folding mechanism. Here it is:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...irror-fix.html (3D Printer DIY: Skoda Laura broken side mirror fix)

Just have someone to open it up to check if there is a simple fix. You might be pleasantly surprised.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 17:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Just curious, why not just leave the mirrors in open position? I rarely use this feature on my cars.
I do not want to leave the mirrors in the open position as they are likely to be damaged by passing vehicles when the car is parked in public. I have seen instances where the mirrors on parked cars have been knocked off by passing bikers or other cars.

Quote:
I remember someone posting on this forum about 3D printing the worn out/broken part of mirror folding mechanism. Here it is:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...irror-fix.html (3D Printer DIY: Skoda Laura broken side mirror fix)
This is really interesting and it is likely that a similar part is broken in my mirror as well. Do you have any idea where I might get it 3d printed?

Quote:
Just have someone to open it up to check if there is a simple fix. You might be pleasantly surprised.
This is the first thing I wanted to do, but I do not know of any FNG in the city where I live (Aurangabad City), and I do not know how to open the mirror myself. I tried looking at youtube videos, but since I have never undertaken anything of this sort, I am likely to damage it further, rather than repair it.

However, I will talk to the Toyota ASC that had opened it last time and try to gather what exactly is broken inside the ORVM and then try to source the exact part, rather than the entire assembly of some other car. Lets see how it goes.
Old 25th April 2021, 18:29   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Check this out:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ew-mirror.html (DIY: Fixing a broken automatic outside rear view mirror)
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks