Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2007, 13:39   #16
Team-BHP Support

Verna and Elantra(and maybe skoda) have the grade listed as API-CF4
Old 3rd May 2007, 14:06   #17
BHPian

I had put Castrol GTD in my Scorpio for some time (meets API CF-4/SAE 15W-40).The service manual says "should exceed CH4" and as a fallback option should meet atleast 15W-40.
After running with this oil for ~ 500 kms,I switched back to GTX Diesel (SAE 15W/40 & API CI-4)
Have I done damage to my engine ? If yes,how do I check that.
The vehicle seems to be running perfectly fine and returns me the same mileage (~14 kmpl) though I can sense somewhat increased vibrations.

Thanks,
rb2399
Old 3rd May 2007, 14:11   #18
Team-BHP Support

The engine is okay, I would worry more about exhaust management (EGR/CAT etc.,)
I suggest you stick to GTX diesel for now
Old 3rd May 2007, 20:31   #19
BHPian

Somehow managed to get in touch with a mechanic there.He told me that they use oil from the same big drums for both petrol and diesel vehicles.He don't know much about the grade but says it's from Mobil brand.
Old 4th May 2007, 09:09   #20
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans33 View Post
Somehow managed to get in touch with a mechanic there.He told me that they use oil from the same big drums for both petrol and diesel vehicles.He don't know much about the grade but says it's from Mobil brand.
Wow. What carelessness. A diesel is a sturdy long-life engine. But it still isn't proof against the careless abandon of the roadside garage.
Old 4th May 2007, 09:21   #21
BHPian

Thats why I carry my own engine oil..!

What service center is this, If you complain to TATA I'm sure you will recieve a free wash and Free Oil change, Just log this onto TATA.

There has to be difference in Oils, Diesel and Petrol Oils are different.

HM Mitsubishi Excel Motors has two seprate dispenser drums, One Servo for Petrol and other for Diesel..! Infact even at TASC Vivek, I have seen Them put petrol engine oil either from Plastic can or from dispenser drums..! Now I find it weird and funny to have diesel engine oil at same parity as petrol engine oil..Tommorow to them Vaseline and Iodex may seem the same thing..!
Old 4th May 2007, 09:37   #22
Team-BHP Support

Actually most multigrade oils used in workshops are API-CF/SJ
So they would be okay for both diesel and petrol engines of the older era(Tata etc.,)
Like someone mentioned, scorpio wants API-CH4 or higher, and using a synthetic oil with a low grade such as CF-4 will harm the engine more.
Old 26th February 2008, 03:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Wow. What carelessness. A diesel is a sturdy long-life engine. But it still isn't proof against the careless abandon of the roadside garage.
well they even do this in M.A.S.S, had a big fight with then for the same and had appropriate oil change done from 1liter bottles at the same A.S.S. there and then!, and made sure i registered a complained when i got my swift serviced!
Old 26th February 2008, 15:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

The best would be the Mobil Delvac MX Mutligrade, that will make your Scorpio purr in delight..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
I had put Castrol GTD in my Scorpio for some time (meets API CF-4/SAE 15W-40).The service manual says "should exceed CH4" and as a fallback option should meet atleast 15W-40.
After running with this oil for ~ 500 kms,I switched back to GTX Diesel (SAE 15W/40 & API CI-4)
Have I done damage to my engine ? If yes,how do I check that.
The vehicle seems to be running perfectly fine and returns me the same mileage (~14 kmpl) though I can sense somewhat increased vibrations.

Thanks,
rb2399
Old 26th February 2008, 16:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

What about the safari 2.2, Manual says API-CH4 + MB228.3 or higher grade. Castrol GTX (diesel)/ HP milcy Turbo plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
The best would be the Mobil Delvac MX Mutligrade, that will make your Scorpio purr in delight..
Old 26th February 2008, 16:39   #26
BHPian

Well, I am facing this situation now. Got my Palio 1.6 serviced last week. The bill shows Engine oil as CASTROL FOR D. Upon asking I was told by the servide adviser that, its a mistake while selecting the item in the billing and not in the servicing.

I have not noticed any difference yet but keeping my eyes open to see unusual engine temp changes and ears to hear any unusual engine noise.

Till now nothing has shown any change.
Old 26th February 2008, 16:56   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
What about the safari 2.2, Manual says API-CH4 + MB228.3 or higher grade. Castrol GTX (diesel)/ HP milcy Turbo plus
Castrol GTX diesel will meet these requirements, but make sure your workshop is not putting in Castrol GTD. Thats not same as GTX Diesel.
If your workshop is putting in GTD, it will damage the engine in the long run as the GTD oil is API-CF4, which is quite below the required standard of API-CH4
Old 25th July 2011, 22:46   #28
BHPian

Re: Difference in diesel and petrol engine oils

Nowadays you get oils which are formulated to work well in both diesel and petrol vehicles. For example some oils have API CI rating for diesel and API SL for petrol vehicles.
I am assuming oils for diesel engines are formulated to handle xtra heat than the gasoline engines.
So my query is can one safely use such oil in a CNG retrofitted petrol vehicle which specifies SL as requirement on a long term basis rather than using Ngv engine oils with their obsolete grades ?
15w -40 is perfect for the ambient temperature range specified by the manufacturer.
Oil in question is Futura D.
Old 1st August 2011, 22:24   #29
BHPian

Hi friends. My Manza has completed 7500 kms till now and its due for third free service on account of completion of 1 year from purchase. Oil change is one thing which is to be discussed now. Since my car has done just 7.5k on the odo,is it still necessary to change oil just because the car has done 1 year. I have seen many Manza owners change oil very early, but my question is is it really necessarily to do so. Plus the service adviser says that the cost will be be close to 4k + air filter 1.2k total works to be 5.2k. Please advise. I am bit hesitant to spend close to 5k now ,but if it is a strict requirement i will surely do it.
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:41   #30
BANNED

@rki2007; Changing oil once a year is a very good habit. I will not stretch the change, and even more so the first one. Oil in the sump does tend to oxidise even if not run much. In fact one can even have a counter argument, in car used only for short runs the oil never gets hot enough to vent out the acid and other volatile impurities.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks