Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2021, 20:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Reminder: Not every DSG failure is a mechatronics issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Koreans like most Japanese car manufacturers don't give a damn about safety. It does not matter the number of airbags when the structural rigidity is not up there.
Toyota Innova Crysta, Kia Carnival, Tata harrier, Nexon all have five star rating. The harrier and Nexon even have a manageable body roll. From my first hand experience, innova crysta offers great braking. It surprised me and stopped well ahead of my anticipation and avoided hitting a goat. Lot of cabbies swear by Innova's ability to stop in time without loosing control. I guess Ecosport is four star and even Endeavour is not bad in terms of safety.
The Honda city also gets five stars in ASEAN NCAP.
I think now even the Altroz is tested to be safe and Etios was not really that unsafe. Market does have options today. Agreed that you might not get exact german build and dynamics but good and reasonably reliable cars are available. Also lets not forget mentioning Jeep compass which also happens to be safe and slightly more reliable than Skoda/Vw. I'm not sure about Citroen C5 but it looks like it might be safe. New Tucson gets 5 star euro NCAP. The Thar is four star. Safe sedans, SUVs and crossovers are available in the market today. I guess it wont be long before other manufacturers make safe and decent handlers.
vikrantshete is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 21:05   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantshete View Post
Toyota Innova Crysta, Kia Carnival, Tata harrier, Nexon all have five star rating. The harrier and Nexon even have a manageable body roll. From my first hand experience, innova crysta offers great braking. It surprised me and stopped well ahead of my anticipation and avoided hitting a goat. Lot of cabbies swear by Innova's ability to stop in time without loosing control. I guess Ecosport is four star and even Endeavour is not bad in terms of safety.
I think now even the Altroz is tested to be safe and Etios was not really that unsafe. Market does have options today. Agreed that you might not get exact german build and dynamics but good and reasonably reliable cars are available. Also lets not forget mentioning Jeep compass which also happens to be safe and slightly more reliable than Skoda/Vw. I'm not sure about Citroen C5 but it looks like it might be safe. New Tucson gets 5 star euro NCAP. The Thar is four star. Safe sedans, SUVs and crossovers are available in the market today. I guess it wont be long before other manufacturers make safe and decent handlers.

Tata Harrier is not yet tested in NCAP. It's quite suspicious why they're not testing the flagship product when many other entry-level TATA cars are tested.

I've seen 2 new threads on VAG DSG issues in the last week, which makes me question whether I should cancel the Taigun and go with Seltos AT or DCT.
Old 30th May 2021, 21:07   #18
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Toyota Innova Crysta, Kia Carnival, Tata harrier, Nexon all have five star rating.............

I guess Ecosport is four star and even Endeavour is not bad in terms of safety.

I think now even the Altroz is tested to be safe and Etios was not really that unsafe. Market does have options today........

Also lets not forget mentioning Jeep compass which also happens to be safe and slightly more reliable than Skoda/Vw. I'm not sure about Citroen C5 but it looks like it might be safe. New Tucson gets 5 star euro NCAP. The Thar is four star. Safe sedans, SUVs and crossovers are available in the market today........
I think you may have extrapolated the crash rating of international spec variants to Indian variants here. Not to mention that the Harrier has never been crash tested anywhere in the world by an organization that releases the crash results publicly and/or gives them a rating. We have quite a few examples of how Indianization of vehicles is carried out.

It would be wise not to assume that international ratings apply to the India specific variants, unless confirmed by GNCAP, or the manufacturer themselves.

We do have plenty of safe options in the budget sub-4m segment, but beyond that, officially crash rated and proven safe options really start drying out.
rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 00:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
I think you may have extrapolated the crash rating of international spec variants to Indian variants here. Not to mention that the Harrier has never been crash tested anywhere in the world by an organization that releases the crash results publicly and/or gives them a rating. We have quite a few examples of how Indianization of vehicles is carried out.
Harrier has had multiple real life accidents in India. Doesn't look like an unsafe car. Yes the Indonesian innova has 5 star rating but maybe not the Indian one.
My point is how far would people want to buy VW/Skoda cars for sake of safety or driving dynamics even if they have to experience a not so smooth sailing service and no reliability. Are other cars so unsafe that people are destined to die in them?
vikrantshete is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 01:18   #20
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Harrier has had multiple real life accidents in India. Doesn't look like an unsafe car. Yes the Indonesian innova has 5 star rating but maybe not the Indian one.
Whether speculative crash ratings are your thing, is entirely up to you. I pointed out the obvious because it was presented in manner that didn't hint at being speculative in its assessment.
Quote:
My point is how far would people want to buy VW/Skoda cars for sake of safety or driving dynamics even if they have to experience a not so smooth sailing service and no reliability.
I do not know. How far they wish to go is entirely their decision to make. Different people value different things. You may take it up with prospective buyers and current/ex-owners to get the answers you are looking for. I've never really owned a VW/Skoda, however I do like their clean designs. I won't be of much help with your query, I'm afraid.
Quote:
Are other cars so unsafe that people are destined to die in them?
People can die even in a safe car. What destiny holds for them is something I do not— rather can not know. I don't really subscribe to the concept of destiny, unless I'm indulging in poetry or exaggeration. What I do know, is probably something you know too— the probability of surviving a crash increases in a car that has been designed to handle one.

Last edited by rpm : 31st May 2021 at 01:22.
rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 05:21   #21
BHPian

Let's stick to the subject of the discussion. Even I am part of diverting from the topic. Any updates from the owner ?

Last edited by amvj : 31st May 2021 at 05:32.
Old 31st May 2021, 09:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto1212 View Post
Tata Harrier is not yet tested in NCAP. It's quite suspicious why they're not testing the flagship product when many other entry-level TATA cars are tested.

I've seen 2 new threads on VAG DSG issues in the last week, which makes me question whether I should cancel the Taigun and go with Seltos AT or DCT.
Reliability is not really the strength of the DSG gearbox. I wouldn't assume that even the new DQ381 is reliable unless it is proven in Indian conditions. However, if you are okay with a six year warranty and some hassle which can happen if the gearbox fails you might enjoy driving the car. I am not sure what happens after six years. I am exploring if there are reliable mechanics who can do the job at a very reasonable price. If this route exists then DSG could be great to have. If safety is your concern Seltos is not as safe as even a harrier. (As seen in accidents)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
. I won't be of much help with your query, I'm afraid.
People can die even in a safe car. What destiny holds for them is something I do not— rather can not know. I don't really subscribe to the concept of destiny, unless I'm indulging in poetry or exaggeration. What I do know, is probably something you know too— the probability of surviving a crash increases in a car that has been designed to handle one.
I wasn't expecting you to answer that. It was rather a thought than a question.

I agree on the proven crash testing point.

Indeed it is personal call. What I think is trash might be gold to someone. While I might dislike bargaining part prices, mismatch between skoda declared price and the service center pricing ,going through the hassle of contacting skoda, generating a ticket for support and waiting on it, not being able to put battery of my choice on my car, others might very well think of it as a minor price to pay to own a fast car like Octavia.

It is for individuals to decide what they think is worth for German feel and safety or if they would rather buy other cars

I couldn't help but relate car choice to DSG and service experience.
vikrantshete is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 10:39   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Indeed it is personal call. What I think is trash might be gold to someone. While I might dislike bargaining part prices, mismatch between skoda declared price and the service center pricing ,going through the hassle of contacting skoda, generating a ticket for support and waiting on it, not being able to put battery of my choice on my car, others might very well think of it as a minor price to pay to own a fast car like Octavia.

It is for individuals to decide what they think is worth for German feel and safety or if they would rather buy other cars
Off-topic (and Mods please delete it if you required), but looks like your love affair with your Octavia is long over. I'd recommend selling it off and changing to a more reliable vehicle.

Used car prices are at a record high, and you should get an excellent price for an in-warranty Octavia TSI. At least in BLR, such cars are commanding sky-high resale values unheard of in pre-COVID times.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 17:50   #24

Dear Bhpians,
My 2015 Vento TDI DSG is showing slight sign of gear shift problem when changing from D3 to D2 to D1. During upshift there is no issues. When I talked to the VW technician he said we need to add sim to the mechatronics unit, I am not confident about this answers. He too told that when reading the log it show the clutch plate is worn out.
I am surprised about their answers as it is not acceptable. My Vento TDI DSG is just 76k kms done.

Your suggestions, feedback and ideas are highly appreciable.
Old 17th January 2022, 14:40   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The objective of the post was something else = Dealers will blindly quote you for a mechatronics change even when the DSG problem was due to something else. A 2-lakh quote dropped to 90k just like that. Not every DSG breakdown is due to the mechatronics going bad.
I am in a similar situation right now and in a dilemma to proceed with the repair. I have documented the details here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5236985 (Yet another DQ200 gearbox failure - VW Polo GT TSI)

Awaiting diagnostic report from Mahavir Skoda.
Old 17th January 2022, 15:59   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not every DSG breakdown is due to the mechatronics going bad.
Someone needs to remind the VAG folks about that!

Few years ago the team at JMD Skoda replaced the mechatronics unit for the DSG in our Laura (thankfully under goodwill warranty) only for the gearbox to fault a day later. Was eventually diagnosed to a bad shifting mechanism which we were billed at 50% charges for part cost and labor.
Old 9th May 2022, 19:09   #27
BHPian

Hoping that the problem I am facing is not a DSG / Mechatronics Failure ! *fingers crossed*

So I encountered a problem with my Vento TDi DSG, 2 days back.
I was driving back from the MRF MoCross event, and was in D mode, the car lost lost power ( fortunately, just about 100m from my home ! ). The engine wouldn't rev beyond 1100-1200 RPM. Got the car into parking and tried putting it in Reverse. The gear wont engage despite the MID showing R.

Pushed the car back into parking, keeping it in N to make way for other cars, and kept it parked. I again started the car today morning to see if it was just a temporary glitch. It starts normally. The gear lever slots into all positions. But only D mode engages and doesn't go beyond D1. In N mode, the engine revvs upto 1100-1200 RPM ( which I assume, is something like a 'Safe Mode' ).

And all this while, the Engine check light is ON, and The Gear Indictor ( be it in P/ R/ N/ D/ S ) is Blinking along with a Spanner sign next to the Odo.

Mileage on the car is 1.26L since 2015, and is serviced regularly.
What do you guys think, might be the problem and Should I take it to Authorised Service center or my regular service guy ( since the car is out of warranty, but I intend to keep it for another 2 years minimum ) ?
Old 9th May 2022, 19:45   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar View Post
Hoping that the problem I am facing is not a DSG / Mechatronics Failure ! *fingers crossed*
Could you check your battery first? If it's fine, then it's a classic DSG failure sadly.
nitkel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 10:01   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitkel View Post
Could you check your battery first? If it's fine, then it's a classic DSG failure sadly.
The battery is fine. Spoke with the VW service guys in BU Bhandari as well. They have suggested that it looks like a DSG Failure, and getting the car towed to the service centre will help them ascertain the issue.

I read up on a couple of other tech forums - the DQ200 repair is next to impossible given the expertise it requires. Replacement is the only option.

Does anyone here have any idea regarding the costs involved ?
Old 11th May 2022, 12:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar View Post
The battery is fine. Spoke with the VW service guys in BU Bhandari as well. They have suggested that it looks like a DSG Failure, and getting the car towed to the service centre will help them ascertain the issue.
Does anyone here have any idea regarding the costs involved ?
If it's just a multi-clutch failure, then it will cost you around 60k to replace.

If it's a mechatronics failure, then, considering your mileage it would be better to replace the whole GB. That would be around 1.5 to 2 lakhs.

Better to find an independent garage to fix it or sell the car as it is to a dealer if you're unwilling to spend so much on a 7 year old car.

Another option is to push BUB for a goodwill warranty assuming it's been serviced with them regularly till now.
nitkel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks