Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2021, 11:41   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Body and Bumper colour mismatch

Has been noticed by other members as well.

A thread on the same:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...os-normal.html
Old 22nd October 2021, 11:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

There is some technical reason behind this, which I simply could not understand fully.
Some detailed explanation below:
https://www.autobodysupply.net/Articles.asp?ID=140

The summary is that, Paint 'binds' in a different manner to different materials.
This results in a slight color variance.
Old 22nd October 2021, 12:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Has been noticed by other members as well.

A thread on the same:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...os-normal.html
I saw this post and I thought it must be an issue with just one car. I should have gone through the thread before starting a new thread.

Mods: Please remove this thread or merge it. Sincere apologies.
chethan.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 15:43   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Till about more than a decade ago, even various body panel shades mismatched. Like the bonnet and front fender shades didn't match with the difference just being a wee bit. Unless seen with very probing eyes, the mismatch would not be noticeable. A metallic shade of Maruti from the mid 1990's, called metallic sea blue (may be corrected) showed lots of mismatch between panels. The Maruti 800 and Esteem came with this metallic paint.
Old 18th February 2022, 12:39   #35
BHPian

Re: Body & Bumper colour difference - Is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCarGuy View Post
Hello BHP'ians, so I have an update. This discoloration has been bothering me a lot, typical OCD of BHP'ians.

I wrote a mail to KIA, attaching the pic with all the relevant details. KIA responded immediately and asked me about my current location, I said it's Cochin and the dealer is Incheon KIA, so they have looped in Incheon into the communication and I immediately got a call from the customer relationship manager. At this moment there was an LD in Kerala, hence he assured me that he will contact me as soon as the LD is lifted, and as promised he contacted me and scheduled an inspection.

I visited Incheon KIA this Monday and the initial impressions were really good, the SA and the paint shop manager seemed to be genuinely concerned about the issue. As per the SA, this issue is happening in pearl white color and ideally, in the factory, there should be a slight difference in the paint mix for the bumper and metal, but looks like KIA uses the same mix for both, hence this issue (I am really not sure if this issue happened only with the initial batches of Seltos's or it is still happening for the newer lot). Anyways, they have acknowledged the issue and agreed that there is discoloration and this would be fixed as part of the warranty. But since still there are LD restrictions in Kerala, they have told me that they will find a suitable time in the next 2 weeks and inform me so that they can do the painting and they promised me the car in 3 days. I did share my concern on the fit and finish from the showroom after the paint job and also if the issue will reoccur even after the painting, the SA promised me that they have done many white bumper paintings, and even after one year there is no difference, so l would have to go by their word and try to get this fixed.

I will keep this group posted on the updates and meanwhile, other BHPians who have this issue, I would advise you to please write to KIA care on the same with pics, or get the car inspected with your respective service centers. Cheers!
Hello BHP'ians,

As promised here is an update on the discoloration fix. The initial impressions of Incheon KIA, Cochin did not last long as they did not contact me back for the fix. So now being back in Bangalore, I got in touch with my service center (Naara KIA) and the repainting is now done.

The repaint job is fine, the front looks good and I cannot find a discoloration now, but on the rear, my OCD eyes still find a minor discoloration, but that is something I guess, I can live with.

It's been nearly a year since I initially reported the issue, but because of multiple reasons, my work schedule, and delay from the service centers the fix was delayed, but better late than never, it's now completed. Now, let me be honest, I have been keeping an open eye on this issue, and mostly all white Seltos' I have seen have this discoloration and most owners haven't even noticed it. So really if this issue doesn't bother you much, leave it as it is, but otherwise, contact your service center/write to KIA care and this can be sorted. Cheers!

Last edited by ThatCarGuy : 18th February 2022 at 12:46. Reason: Better readability
ThatCarGuy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 17:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

Bumping an old thread.

It seems that Kia hasn't addressed this problem yet. My car is August 2022 manufactured and both the bumpers have developed this discolouration over time. My other car, a 9 year old glistening grey Swift, still has original paint on the rear bumper. And it matches much better with the quarter panel in comparison to Kia. And unlike the Kia, the Swift has been exposed to the outside elements for all these years.

A local detailing shop I spoke to suggested rubbing and polishing which I believe this is a temporary fix and the yellowness will be back in some time. Is repaint the only option to solve this permanently?

Last edited by self_driven : 18th November 2023 at 17:56.
Old 18th November 2023, 18:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

This is nothing but cost cutting! I don't see the bigger cars having these issues?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks