Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2021, 21:22   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Aircons! Demystifying the car air-conditioning system, Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight View Post
Is there any other way of getting the evaporator cleaned except taking out the whole dashboard apart?
Yes 3M has an AC evaporator cleaning process where they insert a camera and check for dirt, then spray the evaporator and drain from the AC drain below.

After that they check with camera again to show you the clean evaporator.

Almost all 3M stores offer the service.

Post the evaporator cleaning they also spray the vents which I would avoid as some liquid once fell onto the head unit from AC vent.

The evaporator cleaning is down in passenger footwell and completely safe.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 23:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Good thread, very informatiive indeed!

Quick question---does the cabin air filter get clogged more often when using fresh air mode, when compared to recirculate mode?
Old 1st July 2021, 08:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

Quick question---does the cabin air filter get clogged more often when using fresh air mode, when compared to recirculate mode?
Quick Answer - Yes

When on fresh air mode, the air intake is from under the windscreen. This is the cavity that houses the wipers etc and is prone to catch the dust and debris when the car is standing still. The reason for choosing this space is to perhaps shield from the moving airstream, while in motion, which will have much more dust.

In recirculation mode, the air going through the evaporator is the air already passed through it so it is cleaner than the air outside.
Ravi Parwan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 17:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yes 3M has an AC evaporator cleaning process where they insert a camera and check for dirt, then spray the evaporator and drain from the AC drain below.

After that they check with camera again to show you the clean evaporator.

Almost all 3M stores offer the service.
Hey Vid (and other AC gurus including Vigsom), couple of questions that have always bothered me,

1) Even our house Aircons (for lack of a better word) get their filters filthy every 5-6 months and we have to manually clean them, how does one clean a car aircon filter and how often do we do that? My assumption is these will get dirtier and at a very rapid rate

2) Is there some annual car aircon check up / cleaning routine we should follow?

3) What are regular care tips to maintain our car aircon

Lastly what is this service called, the one in 3m? And does it impact the cooling effect positively?
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 19:19   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
- how does one clean a car aircon filter and how often do we do that?

- Is there some annual car aircon check up / cleaning routine we should follow?

- What are regular care tips to maintain our car aircon

- what is this service called, the one in 3m?
1. The car aircon filter is typically located behind the glove box OR at the bottom of the dashboard behind the center console - remove the glove box, open the cabin air filter cover, remove the filter, blow compressed air into it in the direction opposite to the regular flow, and install it back.

2. I'd recommend cleaning the cabin air filter every three months if usage of the car is high, and six months for a sparingly used AC.

3. Tips- keep the car clean, use the AC just as much as one needs, and keep the filter clean.

4. 3M has a foam that one can apply directly to the AC blower with the cabin air filter out of position. The foam claims to cleanse the evaporator core and the dirty condensate would be removed via the condensate removal drain. I've found this effective in cleaning fine dust that settles on the evaporator core but things like leaves and twigs that come in (if the car doesn't have a cabin air filter) have to be removed mechanically by opening up the dash. There are videos on YouTube on how to use this foam.

Some related threads

1. PajeroSport (A/C Air Path clean out + Cabin Air Filter installation - Mitsubishi Pajero Sport)

2. Xylo (DIY: Cleaning the cabin air-filter of the Mahindra Quanto / Xylo)

3. Micra (DIY: Cabin air filter replacement in the Nissan Micra)

Adding to my original posts, here are pics of a failed Evap Core in a 2016 Hyundai Grand i10 and a 2017 Hyundai Xcent - both cores failed in exact 4 years, which is the new quality benchmark

2016 Grand i10 - evaporator core failed in 4 years
Aircons! Demystifying the car air-conditioning system, Part 2-img20210630wa0042.jpg

2017 Xcent - evaporator core failed in 4 years
Aircons! Demystifying the car air-conditioning system, Part 2-20210522_153706.jpg
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 00:34   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
1) Even our house Aircons (for lack of a better word) get their filters filthy every 5-6 months and we have to manually clean them, how does one clean a car aircon filter and how often do we do that? My assumption is these will get dirtier and at a very rapid rate
Every service the cabin AC filter is changed. This is what prevents the dirst from entering the AC evaporator. The more clogged the less effective is the air con.

Quote:
2) Is there some annual car aircon check up / cleaning routine we should follow?

3) What are regular care tips to maintain our car aircon
Just the AC filter change and every 2 years or so get the gas checked.

Quote:
Lastly what is this service called, the one in 3m? And does it impact the cooling effect positively?
3M Car Air-Care treatment which uses 3M AC Evaporator Cleaning Technology.

http://carcarestores.3mindia.co.in/o...care-treatment

Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 01:23   #22
BHPian

Awesome thread vigsom , very informative. I personally have been lucky with the air-conditioners of our cars, never have had any major issue (except in the Swift recently, but that's an used car). We did over 100k km in our Punto, never needed to service the AC system. Our Ecosport is currently at 85k km, the AC still cools perfectly (finger crossed for the future). Few things that I follow regarding the AC system:
  • Always run the AC in re-circulation mode (except on long highway drives).
  • Clean & replace the AC filter at regular intervals.
  • Keep the interiors clean, strictly no eating inside the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Use the aircon only just enough to keep fatigue at bay. Do not over-run the aircon and get addicted. It isn't healthy
I have some questions/doubt regarding this part. We always drive with our windows rolled up (except in the Omni) & hence the AC is always on. I do however don't run the AC at full blast, like to keep the interiors at a comfortable temperature (Even my room's AC is always set at 26 degrees Celsius).
  • Are there any positive effects on the longevity of the AC components if the AC is not run at full blast?
  • Does the compressor cut off more frequently if the temperature is set on the higher side? I read somewhere that to attain a higher temperature, the climate control system would mix hot air along with cool air, rather than switch off the compressor for a longer interval.
  • Many people in India would run the AC on coolest setting, manually switch off the compressor when things get too cold, then again switch on the compressor. Does this method help in fuel saving? I personally like to adjust only the temperature knob, rather than switching on/off the AC compressor manually.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 2nd July 2021 at 01:26.
chiranjitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 07:52   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Are there any positive effects on the longevity of the AC components if the AC is not run at full blast?
Thank You @chiranjitp. In my earlier cars, a 2003 and a Toyota Corolla, I've observed the AC compressor cutting off faster if the blower speed is lower. The compressor cycling (on - off - on) is based on the thermistor reading of the evaporator skin temperature. My first thread on the topic has details of how the compressor cycles on and off. So, it is good if the AC is not run at full blast.

Quote:
Does the compressor cut off more frequently if the temperature is set on the higher side? I read somewhere that to attain a higher temperature, the climate control system would mix hot air along with cool air, rather than switch off the compressor for a longer interval
Unfortunately, in cars' Automatic Climate Control systems, this mixing does occur. The compressor cycling will continue to be determined only by the thermistor.

Quote:
Many people in India would run the AC on coolest setting, manually switch off the compressor when things get too cold, then again switch on the compressor. Does this method help in fuel saving?
Nothing wrong in doing this compressor switch off and switch on with the blower still running. But this might result in the cabin temperature going up beyond intended if the compressor isn't started on time.

I'd say, keep the blower speed at the optimum level(the lowest required to keep the cabin just cool), and the temperature setting at the lowest. The compressor will cycle on and off just right. If you see, in manual AC cars, the temperature knob is set at the lowest in the blue range.

For home ACs, which are just ACs and not HVACs, I set the temperature at 26 degrees C in summer. In winters, I run the ACs 10 minutes a week just to keep them roused.

One tip on AC care that I missed mentioning in my earlier post - clean the AC condenser every 6 months or so using a low pressure water spray so that it works efficiently. At a water wash station, the gun should be approx. a foot away so that high pressure jet doesn't damage the condenser fins. In most cars, the front grille has to be removed for access to most of the condenser area.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 16:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
1. The car aircon filter is typically located behind the glove box OR at the bottom of the dashboard behind the center console - remove the glove box, open the cabin air filter cover, remove the filter, blow compressed air into it in the direction opposite to the regular flow, and install it back.

2. I'd recommend cleaning the cabin air filter every three months if usage of the car is high, and six months for a sparingly used AC.

3. Tips- keep the car clean, use the AC just as much as one needs, and keep the filter clean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
3M Car Air-Care treatment which uses 3M AC Evaporator Cleaning Technology.

http://carcarestores.3mindia.co.in/o...care-treatment

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=beRUeB5xEvg
Thanks Gents,

Strange though, after this I called 3, 3M car cares in Chennai (Kodambakkam, Anna Nagar and Nungambakkam) and all 3 claim that the kit they have for doing this was defective and they have stopped this service!

Will use google to see if some non 3M centre does this. Will also write a brief email to the 3m customer care to let them know about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom
For home ACs, which are just ACs and not HVACs, I set the temperature at 26 degrees C in summer.
My Man! lol

I do the exact same but at 25*c. Fan at speed 2 and you can sleep all day / night without getting uncomfortable or blowing a hole in your wallet.

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd July 2021 at 19:26. Reason: Quote tags fixed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks