Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2021, 09:43   #16
BHPian

Re: Car perfume leaked into AC vent | How to remove the stubborn smell?

Ozone generators are also effective.

Watch this video, and more, on YouTube. Search for ozone generator car.

lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 10:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

What i used to do to remove odour from my car is keep a slice of bread on a newspaper (easy to lift it and dispose off) and pour a little vinegar on the bread and leave it on the floor for a day or two that would absorb the foul smell inside the car.

Other permanent alternative I have is by using the below product, which can be regenerated by keeping under sunlight for 30 mins every fortnight.

Car perfume leaked into AC vent | How to remove the stubborn smell?-71gnrqmq4l._sl1500_.jpg
SnS_12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 10:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Ozone generators are also effective.

Watch this video, and more, on YouTube. Search for ozone generator car.
This seems to be a good idea. If you search the online shopping sites, this doesn't seem to be too costly.

If the odor is because of slow release from your carpets, seats and roof liners, then this shall help. And if we keep the blower on in recirculation mode as suggested in the video, it might be effective on any gel on the coils.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 11:51   #19
BHPian

A spill in 2012 having the odor still in place ?? Very skeptical. But if true, definitely Ambi Pur should look at this thread, to convert it into a marketing campaign

But on a helpful note, I have had major spills (with kids vomit and so on) where the smell would be intoxicating and tough to remove. Heat from Sun works wonders..
Old 14th July 2021, 11:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Do the following -

1. Switch on the AC and set it to full speed and go for 15-20 mins run with all windows down. It will reduce the smell drastically.

2. Keep all windows open and switch Heater on for some time at safe place as you mentioned it smells more with heater on. Keep car idling for 20-30 mins or take for small spin.

3. Park your car under sunlight with all windows, doors open for few hours. It will reduce smell drastically for sure.

4. Now get car washed completely and get you cushioning, mats washed properly. Make sure they blow air in the car. Normally they have machines which blows air at very high speed.
Old 14th July 2021, 13:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
Car perfumes are nothing but chemicals. They are dangerous for the health.
Cannot agree more. This stuff should be banned. I did a bit of research on this and was horrified by what I found. You might as well start smoking a pack a day.

Fellow BHPians - please read here on this hazard

Quote from the article:

The majority of home and car air fresheners are created with Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). These are synthetic chemicals that can stay suspended in air. The EPA lists a number of possible adverse effects of exposure to VOCs including headaches, loss of coordination, nausea, liver, kidney, and central nervous system damage, cancer, and more.
Spaced Out is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 19:52   #22
BHPian

Use a sieve to spread baking soda liberally on all the carpets and mats and leave it overnight. Next morning vacuum the carpet and the mats. Baking soda has the property of diffusing odour molecules. If this does not work then you may go for ozone treatment. Maybe the high-end detailers have Ozone machine.After the ozone treatment this problem will hopefully be resolved. You may check out this video on YouTube
Old 16th July 2021, 09:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced Out View Post
Cannot agree more. This stuff should be banned. I did a bit of research on this and was horrified by what I found. You might as well start smoking a pack a day.
I suggest, humidifier for the car. It doubles as perfume dispenser.

https://www.amazon.in/Demokrazy-Diff...s%2C270&sr=8-8

Pl. use pure natural essential oil.
Old 16th July 2021, 10:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash24979 View Post
Use a sieve to spread baking soda liberally on all the carpets and mats and leave it overnight. Next morning vacuum the carpet and the mats. Baking soda...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
If the odor is because of slow release from your carpets, seats and roof liners, then this shall help. And if we keep the blower on in recirculation mode as suggested in the video, it might be effective on any gel on the coils.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Ozone generators are also effective...
Seems like the perfume oils have bonded to the fabric and interior plastic. You say this happened in 2012, so it means that the perfume has penetrated deep into wherever it spilled - you may need to change that part (you could probably sell it to the Ambipur people for a nice profit )
Ozone itself is quite toxic and reactive, but you could buy something that works when you are away from the car - I'm sure the ozone treatment would need to be done for months - a single treatment would not penetrate deep enough. Beware of poor quality ozone generators, though. Many fakes on Amazon. You get some that work with 12V off the cigarette lighter port.

As a last resort, you may have to replace all the plastics and the fabrics. I noticed that you have a rexine seat cover, have you tried removing it and checking?

I wonder if liquid bleach like Chlorox would work, but the smell of chlorine would be far worse. But a very dilute solution sprayed and wiped off every day might work to react with and neutralize the odors. The only other solution would be to dip all the plastics in some solvent (isopropyl alcohol?) that will dissolve the perfume oils - possibly toxic and will may damage some of the plastics as well.

Hydrogen peroxide solution would work better than Chlorox solution. But test it out on a small area. Oxygen is less dangerous than chlorine, but nascent oxygen is very reactive. Don't know about baking soda or charcoal in this case as the perfume seems to have penetrated very deep - but active charcoal would definitely help adsorb any pollutants, including the perfume - you would need to replace it often.

It's a pity that Indian manufacturers/marketers will not even respond to queries about products (most likely they just import the perfume and sell it bottled), otherwise you could have asked them for pointers on neutralizing it.

Last edited by mvadg : 16th July 2021 at 10:13.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks