Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2007, 14:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Well logically you could turn your airbags off. There must be a separate fuse in the fusebox for the airbag controller module, and if you take that out, it won't work.
Old 12th May 2007, 15:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
air bags save lives.it should be made compulsory for all cars.
i hope someday the govt and car manufacturers team up to make it affordable on all cars.
that said they save lives only when the passengers are wearing their seatbelts.
@paras:i'm sure you're joking right?
Well said!! It took a doc to say that. Its only when our near and dear ones get into an unfortunate situation that our Indian mentality does a re-think on safety issues.

Better safe than sorry.
Old 12th May 2007, 15:55   #18
BHPian

does the octy have weight sensors in the passenger seat or an airbag deactivation button?
it could save some money if there is no one in the passenger seat.
Old 12th May 2007, 16:15   #19
BHPian

i ment it in a scarstic way for the insurance guys who should be covering the cost .
Quote:
This is what the typical Indian mentality is all about. Sorry to say this but money cant buy happines or lives
Old 12th May 2007, 18:47   #20
Team-BHP Support

i think you can switch off the passenger side airbag with a button in some cars.
Old 15th May 2007, 01:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
i think you can switch off the passenger side airbag with a button in some cars.

No.. No airbags can be switched off with buttons.. Like v1p3r said.. You will have to remove the fuse..

Godfather
Old 15th May 2007, 01:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
No.. No airbags can be switched off with buttons.. Like v1p3r said.. You will have to remove the fuse..

Godfather
no, he said passenger airbag. some cars have buttons that deactivate the pass airbag in case there is an infant or a rear facing child seat in the front seat.

Last edited by heelntoe : 15th May 2007 at 01:33.
Old 15th May 2007, 01:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Thanks heelntoe.. I was not aware of this..

Godfather
Old 15th May 2007, 01:39   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

Godfather
Quote:
Originally Posted by heelntoe View Post
no, he said passenger airbag. some cars have buttons that deactivate the pass airbag in case there is an infant or a rear facing child seat in the front seat.
that's right - generally 2-seaters and pick-up trucks have this option!

in the event of a crash, an airbag will not activate unless the seat belt is used. so if you don't have a passenger (or the passenger isn't wearing a seat-belt), the passenger-side airbag will not inflate.

sometimes you have an indicator to notify whether the passenger side airbag is deactivated, sometimes you don't.

do not play around with your airbag electronics and fuses unless you're qualified to do so - they can be activated inadvertently - causing physical and monetary damage. merely removing the plastic part on your dashboard marked "SRS Airbag" might cause it to inflate!
Old 15th May 2007, 01:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
so if you don't have a passenger (or the passenger isn't wearing a seat-belt), the passenger-side airbag will not inflate.
What about Curtain airbags..(present on the side windows) in case of a front collission will these deploy?? even though there is no one sitting behind...

Godfather
Old 15th May 2007, 10:00   #26
Team-BHP Support

This talk, even if it is only in passing, about deactivating airbags by pulling a fuse is ridiculous! A person spends the better part of 5 lakhs (minimum) to by a car which is equipped with an airbag, and then, in the hope to save a few bucks, people give idea's on how to deactivate it!

In the recent Mumbai accident, the only survivor in the Swift lived because of the airbag. Can someone put a price on that? Also, can that car ever be repaired that one should worry about the costs related with replacing an airbag!

Guys, seriously, there may be some nut out there foolish enough to do this!
Old 15th May 2007, 12:33   #27
BHPian

Quote:
What about Curtain airbags..(present on the side windows) in case of a front collission will these deploy?? even though there is no one sitting behind...

Godfather
i'm not sure but i think the curtain airbags deploy only in the case of a side impact.
Old 15th May 2007, 23:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i'm not sure but i think the curtain airbags deploy only in the case of a side impact.
Nah!!.. What was told when we bought the Prado was that the curtain airbags will also deploy during a front collission...(depending on the impact i guess)

Godfather
Old 16th May 2007, 00:21   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Nah!!.. What was told when we bought the Prado was that the curtain airbags will also deploy during a front collission...(depending on the impact i guess)

Godfather
then i hope the engeneers have enough sense to deactivate the curtain airbag when the front passenger airbag is deactivated.

also, i don't think the curtain airbag relly hurts the occupants as much as a front airbag because of the way it deploys.
Old 16th May 2007, 00:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
then i hope the engeneers have enough sense to deactivate the curtain airbag when the front passenger airbag is deactivated.

also, i don't think the curtain airbag relly hurts the occupants as much as a front airbag because of the way it deploys.
I checked in the Prado..and there is no switch available to deactivate any airbags.. Not that i want to deactivate them.. just out of curiousity i checked..(before people start flaming me) and also there is no mention of the same on that industrial sized book of that vehicle..
So i was just wondering if this is limited to some vehicles..

PS: I am more happy if the airbags deploy in an accidential situation.. Atleast its safe.

Godfather

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks