Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2021, 22:07   #1

Cooling fans turn on and off repeatedly, when the AC is on

Hello! I recently bought a 2014 Honda Accord LX (2.4 I4) in Washington. It is a single owner vehicle with around 50,000 miles on it (low mileage for 7yrs!).

However, I noticed that when the AC is on, the twin cooling fans inbetween the engine and the radiator go on and off crazily (like every 20sec or so). I read on a couple of online forums that this was deliberately done by Honda to reduce load on the compressor.

Is this normal?
Old 23rd July 2021, 11:45   #2
BHPian

re: Cooling fans turn on and off repeatedly, when the AC is on

Get your radiator and ac condenser cleaned with a pressure washer. Repeated kicking of fans occurs because the condenser alone is not able to dissipate heat owing to dust accumulation.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 13:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikbhat8923 View Post
Hello! I recently bought a 2014 Honda Accord LX (2.4 I4) in Washington. It is a single owner vehicle with around 50,000 miles on it (low mileage for 7yrs!).

However, I noticed that when the AC is on, the twin cooling fans inbetween the engine and the radiator go on and off crazily (like every 20sec or so). I read on a couple of online forums that this was deliberately done by Honda to reduce load on the compressor.

Is this normal?
I think its completely OK. The thermostat is working and hence this behavior. You should be concerned if the fan doesn't turn on or is running in full speed all the time.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 01:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the cooling fan is normally commanded by engine coolant temperature while the other is commanded by the operation of the AC Compressor. Only in extreme conditions both fans run as a fail safe. So depending on the condition the fans turn on and off intermittently.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks