Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2021, 23:49   #1

Installed wrong-sized wipers : Now what?

Was in the middle of the rain on a long drive and my existing wipers had gone bad. In a hurry, purchased a new pair of wipers but the shopkeeper gave the wrong size.

For Verna Fluidic, It should have been 24 inch & 16 inch but he installed 22 inch & 17 inch (Minda) He also mentioned you were using the wrong size earlier.

It was only upon reaching back home and checking specs online, I realized he has given me the wrong size.

Just wondering what wrong can these wipers do to the car glass (other than the fact of course that the 22" wiper would wipe lesser area than the 24" and 17" would wipe greater area than 16")?
ankurj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 08:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Installed wrong-sized wipers : Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurj View Post
For Verna Fluidic, It should have been 24 inch & 16 inch
Yes.

Quote:
He also mentioned you were using the wrong size earlier.

Quote:
Just wondering what wrong can these wipers do to the car glass...
Nothing much. 24" to 22" won't cause any issue as the latter is obviously shorter. It could've been a problem if it was the other way around. The difference between 16" and 17" is again too small to create any issues.

If the wipers are working smoothly without brushing with each other, there's no need to change.
self_driven is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 15:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Installed wrong-sized wipers : Now what?

Quote:
Just wondering what wrong can these wipers do to the car glass (other than the fact of course that the 22" wiper would wipe lesser area than the 24" and 17" would wipe greater area than 16")?
Nothing will happen to the glass.

Just check the area that is now being cleaned by the Wipers.
If it substantially less than earlier, and it is affecting your field of vision, then go back to the previous setup.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 17:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing wrong will happen by using 22" instead of 24". All you will get is lesser wiping area. But no damage to be worried about.

Regarding the other 17" instead of 16" wiper, only possibility is that the increases 1" length could interfere with the other wiper or the edges of the windshield. You will know that by audible sounds and a jagged movement of the wiper, if that is happening. But if that interference is not happening, then you are fine and nothing to worry.

In short, wrong wiper sizes are not a great idea, but it will not cause any immediate or serious damage that you need to worry about.
Dr.AD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 17:43   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just wondering what wrong can these wipers do to the car glass ..
Apart from the shape of the sweep area, nothing much can go wrong. IF you are very specific about maintaining OE specs, go back and ask for the right size. But, if it were me, I'd just wait for the next replacement.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 18:18   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

There is some shipping delays between China and India for various things, Bosch Wipers included. So an alternative that is getting pushed down our pockets is Minda - Bosch works better.

Get the Bosch Eco wipers, they are just as inexpensive and you can fit them yourself.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 19:32   #7
BHPian

I have been using wrong sized wipers in my car for 4 years now(replaced every year) to get better coverage and get rid of some annoying unwiped zone that leads to water tricking down after wipe. I changed from 20" 18" to 24" 16", then to 22" 16" and now 22" 18" in 4 years. Have had no issues. When using 24" instead of 20", the last 1 inch of wiper did not have sufficient contact with glass in some areas due to windshield curvature.

Replace at least the driver side wiper back to stock size if you are not happy with the reduced coverage in driver side. Otherwise wait till the minda dries up or starts steaking.

Last edited by AntPaul : 2nd August 2021 at 19:34. Reason: missed some info
AntPaul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 00:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Just wondering what wrong can these wipers do to the car glass?
No need to worry about any damage. Other than maybe a lesser area covered, shouldn't be any hassle at all. If you're going to be uneasy however due to this at the back of your mind, you should just get it reverted to the originals. Nothing should cause you discomfort while driving.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 12:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntPaul View Post
Replace at least the driver side wiper back to stock size
Given that the other wiper (17") is longer than the stock 16", that doesn't seem to be option for me. If I install 24", it will touch the 17" wiper.

Thanks everyone for your response. Think I am good to go, will get them replaced in the next wiper change. Nothing to worry for now.
Old 3rd August 2021, 13:51   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Replaced 24,16 with 22,17 ?

That would mean that the wiped area between the centers of the wiper spindle was 12+8=20 , now is 11+8.5=19.5 ; so a tiny sliver of unwiped water arc will be present when the new set of wipers operate in rain.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 14:14   #11
ike
BHPian

A 3M store in Chennai installed smaller wipers in my car and it left an annoying line of water in the middle of the windscreen because there was no overlap.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 14:40   #12

Quote:
Was in the middle of the rain on a long drive and my existing wipers had gone bad. In a hurry, purchased a new pair of wipers but the shopkeeper gave the wrong size.

For Verna Fluidic, It should have been 24 inch & 16 inch but he installed 22 inch & 17 inch (Minda) He also mentioned you were using the wrong size earlier.

It was only upon reaching back home and checking specs online, I realized he has given me the wrong size.

Ankur I had a similiar situation wherein I was not able to get 16 " wipers for my Rapid post lockdown [Read Second wave] (Rapid had the same 24"/16" inch wipers) so I decided to take a chance with 17" I was ready to forego that money but surprisingly it worked so currently my Rapid has 24"/17" instead of 24"/16".

My Observations: The wipers never come in contact with one another. No noise or redirection of rain water. And it sits well within the windshield frame.

I might even stick to this specs going forward. I been using these wipers for last three months.
PradoGdr88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 14:50   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

My Scorpio had 21" blades (both) as the recommended size, but for 7-8 years, I'd used 22" wiper blades. Nothing happens if the blades don't foul with each other or touch anything at the end of their travel either side.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 19:11   #14
BHPian

As long as they dont cross paths (lower edge of one and the top edge of another at the edge of sweeping path) or touch the outer frame of the car during the wiping, its fine. Don't take "tenshan" for small issues like this - enjoy your new wipers during the monsoon and replace them next year and get the right sizes.
Old 3rd August 2021, 20:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter side, if you are dissatisfied with the wrong sized wipers for your current car, you can look at this as an opportunity to buy a car that fits the wipers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks