Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2021, 12:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Why would the brake pad of one side (left) wear out faster than the other (right)?

Rahul Apte drops in a query via this page!

Quote:
Hello Team,

I own a 2019 Honda City V MT. I recently got a routine service done from the dealership and they changed the brake pads stating that the pad width has gone down and needs replacement. When I saw the brake pads, I noticed that only the LHS side of each pair of pads has worn out and the RHS side has more than 5.5 mm in width. I went back to the dealership requesting an explanation as only one of the sides has worn out. However, they could not give me a solution. I had tweeted this to someone from the global team to respond, and I received emails just ensuring that HONDA has the best quality standards, etc. and they have not yet answered my basic question. I am looking for an explanation - Why only the LHS pad on both front wheels would get rubbed more than the RHS? I have a picture of the pads which I can share.

Thanks
Why would the brake pad of one side (left) wear out faster than the other (right)?-20210725_084804.jpg

Why would the brake pad of one side (left) wear out faster than the other (right)?-20210725_085028.jpg

Why would the brake pad of one side (left) wear out faster than the other (right)?-20210725_085045.jpg

Why would the brake pad of one side (left) wear out faster than the other (right)?-20210725_085055.jpg
ChiragM is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 12:55   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why would the brake pad of one side (left) wear out faster than the other (right)?

Caliper pin needs to be replaced or reapply the grease to ensure that it is releasing properly as soon as brakes are disengaged.

You have seen only one half of the story, the brake disc rotor as well is worn out unequally. Please replace them both, as well as the pads while the sticky caliper is being fixed.
Kosfactor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 12:59   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why would the brake pad of one side (left) wear out faster than the other (right)?

Your brake caliper pins have not been lubricated properly, or not been lubricated in a long time. Hence both pads do not apply equal pressure on the disc when the car is braked. It is usually the pad on the side of the piston that gets worn first.

Common issue, not a major problem.
SS-Traveller is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 13:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is something to do with calliper adjustment. If callipers are adjusted nearly perfect, then both pad will press the discs equally from both sides. If the adjustment is not proper, LHS(or RHS) will be more nearer to the disc and only one pad creates friction to stop the car.

This is analogous to drum brakes operation. If only one brake pad is in use, Friction will be less and hence, effectiveness of brakes will also be low.

Reason for other brake pad wearing out can be explained as below:

As first brake pad (nearer to disc) wears out, the compression action will increase. This starts bringing the second pad( farther to disc) in contact with disc after some wear out on first pad.

Last edited by gkveda : 6th August 2021 at 13:06.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 13:40   #5
BHPian

While the issue might be commonplace, and not even car/brand specific, is there any way to catch it ahead of time!?

Requesting all to throw some light on that aspect.

Seems like the car is routinely serviced at HASS; shouldn't this have been caught as part of a regular service visit!?
avinash_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 14:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Seems like the car is routinely serviced at HASS; shouldn't this have been caught as part of a regular service visit!?
Even before catching it, isn't greasing and adjustment of brake caliper pins part of regular service?

Seems they don't even do this as part of regular service.
Old 6th August 2021, 14:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

I just wonder if it has to do with the drainage gradient(slope)used in road design to channelise water away from roads that puts more stress on left side brake pads. I've heard this theory being discussed at service centres, not sure how far it holds true. The slightly uneven wear between left and right brake pads is a common phenom I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
I do not understand how the gradient can affect the brake pads. Whatever the gradient, the distance they need to travel to clamp on remains the same.
Suspension might be affected. But not the brakes.
I meant comparitively more load on the left wheels as the car takes many turns at speeds during it's life while being driven on curves, straight highways etc. since we drive on left side of the road for most part.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 6th August 2021 at 14:57.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 14:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I just wonder if it has to do with the drainage gradient(slope)used in road design to channelise water away from roads that puts more stress on left side brake pads. I've heard this theory being discussed at service centres, not sure how far it holds true. The slightly uneven wear between left and right brake pads is a common phenom I guess.
I do not understand how the gradient can affect the brake pads. Whatever the gradient, the distance they need to travel to clamp on remains the same.
Suspension might be affected. But not the brakes.
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 15:05   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Like others have already pointed out, the caliper guide pins are not moving freely resulting in the pad in contact with the caliper piston is wearing out more.

Most service centers do not remove the old, dried caliper grease from the pins and the caliper guide holes. The pins are removed, wiped and a fresh caliper grease is applied and shoved in. This leads to premature jamming of the guide pins. The right way to do is to remove the caliper bracket itself and clean the guide holes with brake cleaner to remove all the old residual grease out before applying the freshly greased pins . Care is to be taken not to over apply the grease since that can also jam the caliper.
sagarpadaki is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 08:57   #10
BHPian

Can someone educate me where are the caliper pins in the above pic?

I have the same issues with my brake pads too, as they feel a little spongy.
Even an extensive air bleeding technique hasn't really mattered.
I'm looking at 2 options:

1. Replace brake pads, disk seem ok.
2. Grease the J-pin.

Happy to seek solutions on the same
Old 7th August 2021, 11:49   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
Can someone educate me where are the caliper pins in the above pic?
Here you go:

Bolts circled need to be removed to access the caliper pins
Why would the brake pad of one side (left) wear out faster than the other (right)?-img_20180506_110525_copy_1024x1820__01.jpg

Top caliper pin
Why would the brake pad of one side (left) wear out faster than the other (right)?-img_20160909_165833_copy_1200x1600.jpg

Bottom caliper pin
Why would the brake pad of one side (left) wear out faster than the other (right)?-img_20160909_162915_copy_1200x900.jpg

Caliper pin removed to clean and grease
Why would the brake pad of one side (left) wear out faster than the other (right)?-img_20160909_162722_copy_1200x1600.jpg

When the caliper pins are removed, please clean the old grease from both the pins and the pins sliding bore for better functioning of the pins. While at it, please inspect the caliper pin boot too, change it if damaged.

Last edited by a4anurag : 7th August 2021 at 11:51.
a4anurag is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 15:39   #12
BHPian

Nothing wrong with your brakes. The is common. The wear sensor is also on the outer pads in cars.

I see even wear on the pads. Stuck slider pins will give uneven wear. Your pins are fine. Dont fix if not broken.

Last edited by Indian2003 : 7th August 2021 at 15:40.
Indian2003 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 16:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Most service centers do not remove the old, dried caliper grease from the pins and the caliper guide holes. The pins are removed, wiped and a fresh caliper grease is applied and shoved in. This leads to premature jamming of the guide pins. The right way to do is to remove the caliper bracket itself and clean the guide holes with brake cleaner to remove all the old residual grease out before applying the freshly greased pins . Care is to be taken not to over apply the grease since that can also jam the caliper.
This is why I absolutely adore Team-BHP. I had no knowledge about this, and now, I will make sure this is followed religiously during service. I had a tendency to sit in the lounge and browse the Internet while the car was being serviced. Now, I will keep a much closer look.

Problem is, most of these lounges, while they have glass partitions, are kept far away, sometimes on a different floor (like at Sahyadri Motors, Wakad, Pune) thus making it difficult for owners to keep a close watch. But now, I will keep on visiting my car during the service on the pretext of having left something in the car that needs retrieval

Thanks Team!!

Last edited by DevilzzzzOwn : 7th August 2021 at 16:45. Reason: Punctuation mark corrected.
Old 7th August 2021, 19:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Even before catching it, isn't greasing and adjustment of brake caliper pins part of regular service?

Seems they don't even do this as part of regular service.
This is done during every pad change , but rarely do they do it unless we tell specifically.
Old 8th August 2021, 21:11   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
Nothing wrong with your brakes. The is common. The wear sensor is also on the outer pads in cars.

I see even wear on the pads. Stuck slider pins will give uneven wear. Your pins are fine. Dont fix if not broken.
There is a noticeable difference in the wear of inner and outer pads.

The slider pins may not be stuck as you said. But they are not completely free moving either. Somewhere on the way to get stuck.

Regarding wear sensor, I observe most cars have these on the inside pads, ie, the pad coming in contact with caliper piston. On few Honda cars, only one pair of pads have the wear sensor. This is bad design

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks