Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2021, 18:32   #31
BHPian

Re: Clutch pedal problem with my Tata Harrier | 3rd time now & I am fed up

I feel sorry for the OP.

We had a TATA Safari back in 2011 - 2013 during which we had been left stranded umpteen times on the road due to various reasons. I don't know how much the media is getting paid but there has been a lot of talk of how TATA has improved its A.S.S over the years. Thanks to T-BHP - these issues are being voiced out

Apart from getting stranded on the road, once the vehicle is back from service we had to drive it back to the service center after driving 500 mtrs. This could be due to several things like -

1. Reverse Camera upside down! - Yes we had it once. Wanted to take a 3 point turn and found that the Service guy had installed the camera upside down

2. Steering turning 3 times on one side while it turns only once on the other side - When asked, the S.A told - "Safari is a rugged vehicle saar like a lorry sir. So it has to be driven like this".

3. Numerous fuse blows - I remember me and my brother changing a fuse in the middle of a horrendous rain inside a forest road.

I can go on and on but don't want to hijack the OP's thread.
eyesice is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 20:56   #32
BHPian

I truly sympathize with the person who started this thread. The wearer knows where the shoe pricks, and I do not mean to misplace his agony. In fact, I have bad memories of a Tata Indigo, that gave me numerous issues in the period 2005 - 2008

Having said that, I have had issues with my Swift Vdi too: From simple brake caliper pin's making a ruckus, to body rattles, lower arm fracture, many tie rod replacements and a steering rack issue that re-surfaced across the 145,000Km I lived with it.

The Skoda Rapid I am using now is a dream compared to the Swift, but the ABS has gone kaput twice (in 2.5 years). Lately, the turn indicator has locked in place.

What I am trying to say is, an automobile is a swiss chronometer comprising 20,000+ parts. A bulk of the malfunctions with Harrier discussed on Team-BHP have pertained to ICE and have probably arisen from software issues.
Your specific problem seems to be a single case and may be illogical to attribute it to a design flaw or a part quality issue. Had it been so, it would have replicated in multiple other vehicles.

I have a XMA+ in my family that just crossed its first 7500Km service. Frankly, I am blown by its build quality, solidity and sheer value for money. It clearly lacks a parallel. Not a single, SINGLE problem to date. I have to pinch myself to believe it is the same manufacturer whose Indigo made me shudder.

I truly sympathize with your problem and don't mean to demerit it. But we have to give credit where it is deserved. Harrier is one hell of a car and a vast majority of owners are having an absolutely delightful time with it. This goes for the entire Tata Motors Range.

The charming coincidence of this post, to the XUV700 launch is also worth pondering
KANNURAN is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 21:42   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANNURAN View Post
What I am trying to say is, an automobile is a swiss chronometer comprising 20,000+ parts. A bulk of the malfunctions with Harrier discussed on Team-BHP have pertained to ICE and have probably arisen from software issues.
Your specific problem seems to be a single case and may be illogical to attribute it to a design flaw or a part quality issue. Had it been so, it would have replicated in multiple other vehicles.
These 20000+ parts should work in tandem and synchronized.
A proven and reliable engine (Fiat 2.0 MJII), a proven and reliable platform (Omega Arc from JLR), and of course, numerous decades of Automotive experience should only give a top-class product (not just in looks) - which is not the case here.

Even Mahindra's were like that, however, they have drastically improved over the years. I still remember when I drove one of the first XUV500's in Chennai in 2011. It was full of niggles.

This is definitely a design/quality issue (not just a part failure). Of course, not for all the cars but there are enough cases pan India.
There is no Auto brand in the world that is 100% perfect/reliable. Even Japanese, Korean, German logos suffer. But ratio/percentage is what matters. That shows how committed and aggressive is the company to its customers and market.

And most importantly, I don't expect a car that cost me more than 20Lakhs, to give me such a stranded/mind-wrecking experience. I totally understand and accept if it's a horn failure, MID failure, Infotainment failure, or some sensor issue. But is one of the most critical parts of any automobile and repeated failure of the same part can never be justified.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 22:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I am really cursing Honda and Ford to not have any offering in the 15-25L rupee Pseudo-SUV segment. These guys have got the fundamentals right (especially Ford), have a great arsenal overseas, but simply can't get up from their slumber in India. :(
You stole the words from me.
Just to add to your curse list are Nissan, Toyota (Crysta is no SUV).
We can blindfolded trust these 4 brands for reliability.
In fact, I was exhilaratingly waiting for the arrival of the Ford SUV (in JV with M&M). But my excitement was short-lived due to JV getting cancelled.

Btw, I will never choose/recommend an MG. MG's doesn't have any character other than the rich feature list and space. Already dumped up to our neck with Chinese products which are not in our control. At least, I am cautiously trying to avoid not use.

Regarding the used route - I am kind of ok, but none of my family. In fact, they are against it. So cannot risk life for love.

The only promising options I think are the upcoming
1. XUV700
2. 2022 Tuscon
3. 2021/22 Tiguan (if it's within 35L on-road)
4. Sportage and others if any in the 2021/22 pipeline.
Old 13th August 2021, 22:19   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post

Please help me with your advice, guidance, recommendations.
I don't want to continue with this car anymore.
What about protecting the hose with a length of these. They are very cheap and available in all plastic or reinforced with metal.

These are used to protect cables from the tow hooks of cars. You just wind it on to the hose and no dismantling is needed.

Clutch pedal problem with my Tata Harrier | 3rd time now & I am fed up-protection.jpg
Indian2003 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 00:27   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschey View Post
It's not just with Tata's premium offerings but the issue of abysmal after sales support persists across their range and across their service network. They have some of the most ill trained (read: untrained) sales and service people at almost all their dealerships. The terms like right first time, customer satisfaction, and net promoter score are as alien to them as light is to black holes. They just don't care, they never have and they never will.
Completely disagree on this point. My personal experience has been diametrically opposite with respect to their sales, service levels and the knowledge of their ASS technicians and staff. Also, wasn't there a recent thread about the abysmal ASS of Kia? What I've observed that everytime there is a thread with respect to issues with a Tata product, all knives are out. Even premium automotive manufacturers like VAG have had their share of horror ASS stories.

Absolutely any car no matter can have multiple issues no matter at what point of the life cycle it is at. Honestly it irks me that people have consigned Tata cars to the horror bin.
akshaydandekar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 08:19   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
What about protecting the hose with a length of these. They are very cheap and available in all plastic or reinforced with metal.

These are used to protect cables from the tow hooks of cars. You just wind it on to the hose and no dismantling is needed.

Attachment 2192506
Somewhat similar is what they have done to fix. Somewhat similar sleeve - but not exactly the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaydandekar View Post
Absolutely any car no matter can have multiple issues no matter at what point of the life cycle it is at. Honestly it irks me that people have consigned Tata cars to the horror bin.
You are absolutely right. The SC support is same across the brands and across the geography.
My concern is the product reliability factor. Tata is miles lagging behind the Koreans, Japanese, Ford, etc. The issue here is the breakdown anxiety - “what will break when”.
And also the attitude/approach of Tata itself when there is a problem in a Tata car. They are not as committed as Hyundai, Honda etc. Whenever I raise an issue with these other brands, they are at my door step the next minute and the issue is immediately addressed and it is fixed for ever.

But what kind of attitude is this - the same issue repeating third time and still not fixed.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th August 2021 at 05:50. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 17:02   #38
BHPian

I completely agree with the author here, he has been through a really nightmarish experience, there are few who have good experience with the Tatas, they rightfully defend their purchase, and say that niggles are part and parcels of all brands and not just some which are harped around.

I disagree, as I have been driving for 25 years and thankfully have never had any of my vehicles leaving me stranded due to a failure (other than a puncture once) -

Vehicles need to be reliable and explanations like 22000 spares something is bound to fail, seems laughable given its probability that we may be having accidents every nano seconds due to any one missing its part.

In computer CPUs we have millions of transistors, and if such were the case, I dont think banks, insurance or the world could be working on computers.

The fact is there are some wonderfully niggle free tried and tested cars out there, where such things failure or stranding on middle of road is nil. No wonder Maruti rules and have a reputation and public is not wrong on lapping all their products repeatedly.

Failure of a Swift, Alto is unheard of even when they sell millions, or it may be the other way round that they sell millions because failures are unheard of.

One gets tempted by features, looks, engine, luxury, built, price and what not.
Topmost priority on any vehicle should be reliability and peace of mind.

That is one reason I went with trusted reliable products and so far they have not failed me and never had to regret decision of buying the vehicle anytime.

Most cars even after keeping 5-10 years never needed anything besides the regular service.

Products I owned with no fuss

Maruti 800
Hyundai Santro
Alto
Hyundai I20

I know its entirely personal choice but the first factor for buying a car should be proven reliability.

As one cant experiment with parachutes, same way even with cars is experimenting is not my cup of tea.

Last edited by xway : 14th August 2021 at 17:06. Reason: spelling correction
xway is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 18:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:
If no, what other car will you suggest to me (25L - 30L)
1. Definitely not another Tata.
2. No MG - No Chinese tab on wheels.
3. No Alcazar - Neither a 7 seater nor a 5 seater.
4. No Cyrsta - Mind is ok and heart is against it because it is a people mover and not a car for the enthusiast.
5. No Compass - It's not a 5 seater, it's a 4adult+1kid seater. S model is way too expensive. And it's a similar story (bad service experience, niggles and niggles) with Jeep India also, let alone bad.
6. No Tuscon - Outgoing model. Nextgen Tuscon is on the horizon.
7. Upcoming XUV700 - This time will test the waters extensively before stepping in.
Did I miss anything?
As you have fixed your car, sell it before you start banging your head again.

I would suggest you to check out the XUV 700 or wait for the next gen Tuscon.
CarNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 22:03   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
As you have fixed your car, sell it before you start banging your head again.

I would suggest you to check out the XUV 700 or wait for the next gen Tuscon.
All I am concerned about and confused about at the moment is whether to continue with this car or not.
What my next car is my least priority and thought now.
Old 18th August 2021, 03:19   #41
BHPian

It is said "third time's the charm" but I would suggest you not to wait and find out if it's going to work out or not. For one simple reason: the fact that you are asking yourself this question and experience you have had wouldn't let you see the car in the same light which made you buy it.

You are bound to have doubts or concerns regarding the reliability of this particular car and rightly so. Better to cut your losses and live stress free.
Old 18th August 2021, 20:31   #42
BHPian

Quote:
All I am concerned about and confused about at the moment is whether to continue with this car or not.
What my next car is my least priority and thought now.
I totally understand your feelings.
I am going through the same because of my Jeep Compass. Have had enough with the "Please bring your car to the workshop", "we regret the inconvenience" , "we assure you work will be done as per FCA standards".

Mine is because of the most irritating rattle possible in a 30+lakh car.
Here's a video:

The overall experience apart from the above rattle hasn't been fuss free either. Holding back my rants in this post for now
veyron999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 20:57   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron999 View Post
I am going through the same because of my Jeep Compass.
Mine is because of the most irritating rattle possible in a 30+lakh car.
I totally understand. At least I know what my problem is and Tata could have permanently fixed it during the first time itself. But they did not, because of their lethargic and casual attitude and incompetence.

In your case, were you able to identify/diagnose the issue? Do you get the noise inside the car or just outside? When the car is moving or even during idling? In any specific speed/gear/rpm or is it continuous? When the AC is on/off?

In fact, the only 2 options I considered during my purchase were Harrier and compass. And I almost finalized the compass. The reasons that I did not go with the compass are
1. Jeep's post-sales experience and the ownership experience are again a hit or miss, similar to Tata. Except that the product is better than Harrier.
2. Cost. I tried to negotiate a number for the limited plus 4*2 variant. But the dealer was so stubborn not ready to negotiate any further. In fact, he was pushing me Limited (O), which I was not very convinced of.
3. Space for 5 (Compass is best suited for 4+1 and not 5).

Also, what do you have to say about your bad overall experience as well?

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 18th August 2021 at 21:07.
Old 19th August 2021, 18:19   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron999 View Post

The overall experience apart from the above rattle hasn't been fuss free either. Holding back my rants in this post for now
Can you share your experience in the Compass thread and also the variant you own. A relative of mine is considering Compass, surprised to see the issues on facelift.
Old 21st August 2021, 10:47   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
Can you share your experience in the Compass thread and also the variant you own. A relative of mine is considering Compass, surprised to see the issues on facelift.
I'll try to get to writing the experience in a new thread.
Mine is not the facelift though. It's a 2020 Limited Plus 4x4 AT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks