Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2021, 03:47   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Clutch pedal problem with my Tata Harrier | 3rd time now & I am fed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Interesting point, just curious, is the battery water topped up even in the new zero maintenance batteries? I don't think I've topped mine in over 2 years now.
We call that thing battery water , it's got to evaporate some day , hotter the environment under the hood, more attention it needs.

There is a difference between battery lasting for 5 years and lasting for 5 years where the music continues to play as the diesel engine cranks.

Visit the nearest Amaron(brand specific) service center once a year and that fellow will check it, top up the battery water, clean up the terminals for 50Rs tips. Lasts long.
Kosfactor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 09:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

As other members have already pointed out, this is definitely a design flaw and not a rodent incident. I hope the new replacement works for you, and just incase it doesn't, ask them to give this in writing that this won't fail atleast for next 30K kms.

I was getting tempted to buy a 2019, 30K run Harrier XZ, which was available at quite a steal price. But reading these posts about issues on Tbhp (repeatedly), I am now certain, that there is always a dark side to such deals (atleast in case of Tata cars).
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 09:56   #18
BHPian

Really sorry to hear about your ordeal. Unfortunately, I have come across multiple such threads on Team BHP. Owners who trusted Tata and were willing to put INR 20L for a product are left harassed and helpless. This is indeed shocking. I hope Tata is able to resolve this problem for you at the earliest.

Personally, I never see myself buying a Tata product - no matter how good the design language and safety ratings are. Fr me, a hassle free ownership experience trumps all other parameters.

Good luck!
kushagra452 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 10:55   #19
BHPian

It's not just with Tata's premium offerings but the issue of abysmal after sales support persists across their range and across their service network. They have some of the most ill trained (read: untrained) sales and service people at almost all their dealerships. The terms like right first time, customer satisfaction, and net promoter score are as alien to them as light is to black holes. They just don't care, they never have and they never will.
Herschey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 11:19   #20
BHPian

From an equally frustrated ex-Tata customer I can totally feel your pain and exasperation.
When one buys a high end top of the line product from any manufacturer the least they would expect is ownership and a complete resolution of the issues.

Firstly, for such an expensive product such issues should not come up, but since we do not live in an ideal world - some issues are bound to slip through. This is where the overall attitude and approach matters, but sadly every time an issue occurs/recurs, the dealer/company support is totally lacking in ownership and their only aim is to close the Job Card along with assurances in plenty.

My Tata Aria Pride 4x4 was the top of the line product during its time and the below were the repeated failures during the course of my ownership
- Power window failure - 7 times (each time a different window and repeat for front ones)
- AC failure - 5 times (fuses, compressor, fan, wiring)
- EGR failure (Tata could not diagnose the issue)
- Wheel alignment (dealer and service center were ok that the vehicle veers in one direction - no solution)

Barring the alignment which was a constant, all of these issues have happened during our extensive travels in remote areas resulting in us being stranded or suffered immensely in extreme weather.

Result: we stopped traveling in the Aria due to the inherent fear of being stranded.

Eventually I moved to a workshop known to me and one by one all of these were rectified. One of the most underrated cars of its time and killed by company and dealer apathy. Would I ever put my money on an expensive Tata again - its an easy answer.

My humble suggestion would be to connect with a workshop who are focused and actually work towards resolution. I can understand your dilemma due to warranty and etc. but believe me the headache and uncertainty is just not worth it.
Trojan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 13:26   #21
BHPian

One of the reasons I would never invest 20L of hard-earned money into Tata ever is the absolutely untrustworthy and unreliable nature of their vehicles. Good design, good features, good safety is all for nothing if there's going to be an element of fear at the back of your mind, every time you drive out with the car. It's 2021 for God's sake, but these guys at Tata have still not been able to distance the brand from this image!
IamNikhil is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 14:00   #22
BHPian

With whom have you been in contact with at TML?
Now, I don't have the privilege to PM people yet but my father works for TML and I could perhaps be of some use to you in that sense.

Last edited by ParthVyas777 : 13th August 2021 at 14:25. Reason: Didn't read through the entire thread
ParthVyas777 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 14:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParthVyas777 View Post
With whom have you been in contact with at TML? This seems to be an issue that needs to be brought to urgent attention to the main company and its a shame that the dealers are half-arsing their responses to your reoccurring problem.
You might want to read through the thread again...specifically this post (Clutch pedal problem with my Tata Harrier | 3rd time now & I am fed up)
JithinR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 14:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
The clutch assembly is exactly below the battery setup. And of course the complete right side of the engine bay is totally a mess due to the acid spillage all over. However, this mess is only this (third) time. There was no spillage in the earlier situations.
Just a few points for consideration:
  • You rightly seem to be fed up with the Harrier. However, since you have invested in the vehicle, it may be worth the while going a bit deeper into the problem and resolving it, even if the ASC (with Tata advise) did not.
  • This is perhaps the first, hardest and most important part! It’s just the most important bit of advice from one older gen Tata (Sierra) ex-owner to the latest shiny gen Tata Harrier owner! You got to literally take ownership of the problem and hoist that damn monkey on your back, if you will.
  • Secondly, as fellow member @abhishek46 already said – the hose failure appears to be due to abrasion damage. In this context, you pointed out that it does not appear to be securely routed. It’s worthwhile checking the routeing of that hose in another Harrier. Did those magnificent QA folks in the factory perhaps miss out on a couple of routeing clips or brackets on that hose in your vehicle? Trace out the hose routeing right from the Clutch Master to the Slave cylinder and ensure that your vehicle indeed has the standard routeing. Then, if so required, decided whether to go in for additional clips or brackets for securing and protecting the hose against abrasion. Yes this will be a mod, which may be worth the while.
  • Thirdly, you did not mention whether that hose is the main pressure line or is it some sort of low pressure return line auxiliary hose. Please check the OEM specs for that hose – whether that part number of the hose used is as specified by OEM. I say that because from the picture you posted it appears the hose is a simple flexible hose without external braid protection – usually high pressure hydraulic hoses have some sort of reinforcement built in.
  • Fourthly, as several members have already pointed out – please ensure battery acid spills in that area are prevented.

I am sure with some determination and perseverance, you will overcome this problem!

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 13th August 2021 at 15:04.
Rigid Rotor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 15:04   #25
BHPian

Forgive me for asking, but from the picture, Is that a rubber / plastic hose, that is being used for the hydraulic clutch line?
From what I had seen in my Hyundai i20, and few other cars, metal lines, almost same as the brake lines were being used for the clutch. Isn't it common sense to use metal lines for such a high pressure line rather than plastic / rubber lines? Or is it some "next level intelligent" cost cutting from TATA?
ps_abhijith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 15:08   #26
BHPian

Really sorry to hear your ordeal, brother. Your issue reminds me of a similar incident which I read in another forum last year. So, in all probability, there would be more Tata Harrier owners who could have faced these clutch issues. May be, clutch design could be the real culprit which TML needs to address promptly.

https://www.carwale.com/tata-cars/ha...eviews/100025/
Attached Thumbnails
Clutch pedal problem with my Tata Harrier | 3rd time now & I am fed up-harrier-xt.jpg  

Old 13th August 2021, 15:26   #27
BHPian

All said and done, finally, my car is fixed now.

There were numerous communications between all three of us. (Myself, dealer, and Tata). The DGM from Tata has assured me that the issue is permanently fixed and will never repeat.

Solution - They have slightly re-routed the cable and also provided an additional sleeve over the hose for added strength, sturdiness, and safety. However, I am not convinced with this solution (had it been so simple and easy, they could have done it for the first time itself). And he did not have a proper answer to why this permanent fix was not provided during the first two times.

I did ask for a replacement of my car due to this same repeated issue (Even though I had only 0.1% hope that they will replace it). And Tata said they cannot. Actually, no OEM will replace a car unless and until any issue directly/indirectly affects the safety (I got to know this from the DGM of Service with whom I was interacting now).

Well, I want an honest opinion, a suggestion from all our Team BHPians.

"Should I really continue with this car? I need a car for sure as this is my only car. However, I believe that it is always better to lose money (by selling a troublesome car) than to lose peace of mind, fun, ownership experience, and of course life.

If no, what other car will you suggest to me (25L - 30L)
1. Definitely not another Tata.
2. No MG - No Chinese tab on wheels.
3. No Alcazar - Neither a 7 seater nor a 5 seater.
4. No Cyrsta - Mind is ok and heart is against it because it is a people mover and not a car for the enthusiast.
5. No Compass - It's not a 5 seater, it's a 4adult+1kid seater. S model is way too expensive. And it's a similar story (bad service experience, niggles and niggles) with Jeep India also, let alone bad.
6. No Tuscon - Outgoing model. Nextgen Tuscon is on the horizon.
7. Upcoming XUV700 - This time will test the waters extensively before stepping in.
Did I miss anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps_abhijith View Post
Forgive me for asking, but from the picture, Is that a rubber / plastic hose, that is being used for the hydraulic clutch line?
From what I had seen in my Hyundai i20, and few other cars, metal lines, almost same as the brake lines were being used for the clutch. Isn't it common sense to use metal lines for such a high pressure line rather than plastic / rubber lines? Or is it some "next level intelligent" cost cutting from TATA?
This is just the lubrication fluid hose, not the actual master/slave cylinder line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Just a few points for consideration:
My responses to your valid and well-said points.
1. The car is just 1.5 years old. And it is under 5 years warranty. And Tata, Harrier and BS4 Harrier (in the same order) are known for niggles and niggles. So I am very reluctant to give elsewhere other than the SC (if this is what you mean).
2. If I am to take ownership of the problem (100%), then the only option is to look for help from independent SC's. Yes, there are plenty of options available. However, I am reluctant until at least the first 3 years for obvious reasons.
3. The abrasion during the first two times was at a different location. This time, the location is different. However, re-routing/extra clipping, are all up to the extraordinary engineer brains of Tata.
4. This is a low-pressure fluid hose. And it is of inappropriate quality from what I can see.
5. How can I control the battery spills? I can only inspect the engine bay, if there are any spills and ask the SC to replace or fix them.

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th August 2021 at 18:54. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 15:45   #28
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Harrier/Safari, are still in the beta phase - both are products still in the baking. I strongly caution anyone spending around 20-25lakhs in a Tata product. It is definitely not a pleasant/happy ownership experience. Tata and M&M are still miles & miles behind in reliability, fit and finish, customer experience/service compared to Korean, Japanese, German brands.
Extremely sad to hear your frustrating experience with Harrier. You've summed it up very clearly in the above post which I have said as well. Link is here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...ml#post5008045 (Tata Harrier vs Tata Safari)

Quote:
4. No Cyrsta - Mind is ok and heart is against it because it is a people mover and not a car for the enthusiast.
20L and above is a lot of money and I will happily put it in a Toyota Innova Crysta than any other car. Go with your mind please.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 16:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

"Should I really continue with this car? I need a car for sure as this is my only car. However, I believe that it is always better to lose money (by selling a troublesome car) than to lose peace of mind, fun, ownership experience, and of course life.
Since this is the third time this has happened, and as you have already mentioned that this is not the only issue you have with the car, I would have got rid of this car ASAP, especially, since it's new and you can still get about 70% of money you invested.

Quote:
5. No Compass - It's not a 5 seater, it's a 4adult+1kid seater. S model is way too expensive. And it's a similar story (bad service experience, niggles and niggles) with Jeep India also, let alone bad.
7. Upcoming XUV700 - This time will test the waters extensively before stepping in.
Did I miss anything?
But this is another conundrum. Since you are not into buying a Hyundai/MG, else the Creta/Hector have been very reliable and niggle free. The upcoming Astor too looks promising with that 163 PS motor!

I am really cursing Honda and Ford to not have any offering in the 15-25L rupee Pseudo-SUV segment. These guys have got the fundamentals right (especially Ford), have a great arsenal overseas, but simply can't get up from their slumber in India. :(

You might go with VW twins, but again they are comfortable 4 seater at best, and might come with their own share of issues.

In this scenario, my suggestion is to go for the XUV700. Yes they have the niggles too, but from what I have seen, Mahindra guys are capable enough to resolve the issues as compared to Tata, where they are completely clueless. The frequency of niggles is also much lesser.
Also if you could do with a little bland interior setup, the S Cross could be another alternative.

Another option could be the preowned route-

1) Fortuner/Endeavour
2) Alturas G4

Last edited by 07CR : 13th August 2021 at 16:27.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 16:34   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Did I miss anything?
A Volkswagen Tiguan or a Skoda Kodiaq on the used route might be worth considering if the Endy doesn't tickle your fancy. Both are pretty much the same car underneath with the Tiguan being a bit more understated and practical.
ParthVyas777 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks