Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2021, 18:28   #1

Bought a BMW taxi (5-Series) | Want to remove the 80 kmph speed governor

Hello All,

I have a relative who has a BMW 520d (2017 manufactured) ~ 10,000 kms run.
Previously this was registered as a commercial vehicle due to which the previous owners had installed Speed Lock of 80kmph programmatically at Bavaria Motors Pune.
Now the vehicle is Transferred to Private Registration(White Board) and we want to get the speed lock removed. We have contacted multiple Showrooms - Pune, Bangalore, Mumbai and everyone is like we have to change the DDU which will cost around 1.75L INR.
I am trying to look for options where it can be done programmatically (because the lock was introduced through software). Option of doing it myself is out of question because I am not sure about it.
I have contacted European Performance, Pune and they have asked for some time to check it.
Can someone who has faced similar issue guide me on how to proceed ?
Buying a high-end used vehicle is the new trend - especially converting Yellow board to White Board. I am not able to find proper reliable solution.

Below are few more doubts :

If we get it tuned/programmed by external sources - specially the ECU, Will it hamper the performance or screw up something else ? which common people are unaware about ?

Since the vehicle is less driven and a recent buy, Will there be any compatible issues with the program modification ? I have ready several articles where BMW's have shown ECU Errors which have resulted in sudden electric shutdown etc while driving. - This is just a concern

Any leads / guidance / Suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thankyou !
somesh.patil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 18:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Bought a BMW taxi (5-Series) | Want to remove the 80 kmph speed governor

Quote:
Originally Posted by somesh.patil View Post
Hello All,

I have a relative who has a BMW 520d (2017 manufactured) ~ 10,000 kms run.
Previously this was registered as a commercial vehicle due to which the previous owners had installed Speed Lock of 80kmph programmatically at Bavaria Motors Pune.
From what I read that can only be reset within 10 operating hours of the limit being set. You could try to flash a new tune onto the car but that'd void your warranty and isn't without risks.

What's 1.75 lakh more when buying a BMW anyway.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 19:20   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now the vehicle is Transferred to Private Registration(White Board) and we want to get the speed lock removed.
Check this thread and reach out to some of the tuners. I don’t think this will need any hardware change and a simple correction of the earlier code should be enough.

Meanwhile, I will also ask knowns and update here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post5124696 (Disabling the 80 / 120 kmph speed warning alerts)
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 15:44   #4

Hi Thankyou, yes I have contacted some tuners and yet to get a response from them.
I have studied the article you have quoted, seems like its related to speed warning alerts/beeps. My issue is with the speed lock.
Thankyou for your reply, Let me know if you get anymore info !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
From what I read that can only be reset within 10 operating hours of the limit being set. You could try to flash a new tune onto the car but that'd void your warranty and isn't without risks.

What's 1.75 lakh more when buying a BMW anyway.
Hello, Thankyou. I am keeping the ECU change - last option. There are possibilities that showrooms will push for ECU change for money! This Covid has affected their sales and business. This might be another way to extract money.
That's why I am looking for tuners/programming.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 16th August 2021 at 15:51. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 16:02   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Hello All,

Any leads / guidance / Suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thankyou !
Is this a physical device fitted to the car (and connected to the ECU) or just software lock?
Old 16th August 2021, 16:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Is this a physical device fitted to the car (and connected to the ECU) or just software lock?
I think its a software lock. Unable to find any physical device connected. Showroom guys have mentioned it was a software lock
Old 16th August 2021, 16:15   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
seems like its related to speed warning alerts/beeps. My issue is with the speed lock.
It must be coding only, contact this guy - he should be able to do. 8762801414.

Otherwise, BMW service centre can also do a complete re-programming. Usually, it's part of warranty for any issues but a friendly advisor may do it otherwise too. Is your car under warranty/ extended warranty?
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 18:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It must be coding only, contact this guy - he should be able to do. 8762801414.

Otherwise, BMW service center can also do a complete re-programming. Usually, it's part of warranty for any issues but a friendly advisor may do it otherwise too. Is your car under warranty/ extended warranty?
NO, the car isn't under warranty. Thank you, I will contact that guy once i hear back from tuners located in Pune. I am looking for people in Pune, Mumbai, Bangalore..
Old 31st August 2021, 16:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bought a BMW taxi (5-Series) | Want to remove the 80 kmph speed governor

Do check out this related thread from last year:

Link (Want to convert Taxi into a private vehicle. How to remove its 80 kmph speed limit after conversion?)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks