Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 12:04   #31
BHPian

Hi,

Yesternight while driving back to Indiarapuram from Greater Noida, I took a short-cut. At the end of short-cut there was about 100 meters patch of what I thought was un-paved road but which turned out to be loose sand. I foolishly tried to drive through it and was stuck in it.

Called up 10-12 people for help in pushing it out but it only made the situation worse and my Getz' front tyres was half-way down in sand. Then we somehow arranged a tractor, which pulled my Getz out - we tied a metal chain in the rear tow-hook of Getz and the tractor pulled it backwards. Tractor has to give quite a few jerks before the car finally came out of the rut.

I want to ask whether this can in any way impact the chassis? Tractor had to give many jerks to the car and body was badly shaken up. Also since then, the car is making excessive noise, RPMs are almost the same as before but noise is too much. I guess it is due to sand in filters; or there can be something else.

Please help.

Regards

Nitin
Old 18th May 2010, 14:28   #32
BHPian

Another update. I just came back from a short drive, and noticed that steering is making a tuk-tuk sound when I turn it. What may possibly cause it?

I will be taking it to MGF Hyundai tomorrow, but want to have a little know-how to avoid being taken for a ride.

Nitin
Old 18th May 2010, 14:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

If I park in a no parking area with my handbrakes fully engaged, how are they going to tow my car? Back to front? What if I lock the steering on the extreme position?
Old 18th May 2010, 15:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
If I park in a no parking area with my handbrakes fully engaged, how are they going to tow my car? Back to front? What if I lock the steering on the extreme position?
and engage 1st / reverse gear? - why do you want to park your car in a no parking zone? are you shooting for that Cadburry Eclairs advertisement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Another update. I just came back from a short drive, and noticed that steering is making a tuk-tuk sound when I turn it. What may possibly cause it?
Tuk-tuk sound from steering while turning (standstill) comes from the steering knuckle bushes - get it checked.
Tuk-tuk sound from near the wheels - axle / driveshaft fault - get it checked. open the hood and see if the rubber boots are leaking near the axle.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 18th May 2010 at 15:10.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its going to be either way, i have seen this is delhi where they just simply buckle the car to the tow truck either way and just tow regardless to hand break engaged or not car in gear or not.

Pramod
Old 18th May 2010, 15:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Bangalore they will mercilessly tie a chain whereever possible and tow using a Tata 709 with front 2 wheels lifted, so 1st / reverse gear does not matter.

Massive torque of 709 ensures that your break pads are gone by the time they reach their favorite dumping ground. In fact most cars being towed have handbrakes engaged.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Its going to be either way, i have seen this is delhi where they just simply buckle the car to the tow truck either way and just tow regardless to hand break engaged or not car in gear or not.
Pramod
Question still stands : What if I engage the handbrake fully and turn the steering to one extreme and lock it while parking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
In Bangalore they will mercilessly tie a chain whereever possible and tow using a Tata 709 with front 2 wheels lifted, so 1st / reverse gear does not matter.
Massive torque of 709 ensures that your break pads are gone by the time they reach their favorite dumping ground. In fact most cars being towed have handbrakes engaged.
If I engage the handbrake in my car fully, the rear wheel just would not rotate when they tow it - rear tires even get locked when I engage it while car is rolling with passengers inside . So this means that the tires will be fully gone by the time car reaches dumping ground.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th May 2010 at 15:18.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question still stands : What if I engage the handbrake fully and turn the steering to one extreme and lock it while parking?
Thats why they have a crain to lift up the front tyres mounted on tow truck.

Quote:
If I engage the handbrake in my car fully, the rear wheel just would not rotate when they tow it - rear tires even get locked when I engage it while car is rolling with passengers inside . So this means that the tires will be fully gone by the time car reaches PS.
yes if breakpads are good your tyres will be shot , but generally after few meters tires start rotating as breakpad gives up before much before tires and after a while you can smell the breakpad frying. I have seen this few times. It's quite a regular non-event over here .
Old 18th May 2010, 15:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Thats why they have a crain to lift up the front tyres mounted on tow truck.
yes if breakpads are good your tyres will be shot , but generally after few meters tires start rotating as breakpad gives up before much before tires and after a while you can smell the breakpad frying. I have seen this few times. It's quite a regular non-event over here .
Got it. So better not to engage handbrake while parking your car in such places in cities.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:32   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got it. So better not to engage handbrake while parking your car in such places in cities.

wrong, better not to find such parking spots in the city, BTW where in trivandrum does the traffic police tow your vehicle?

Congrats in advance for being a senior BHpian.

Pramod
Old 18th May 2010, 15:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
wrong, better not to find such parking spots in the city, BTW where in trivandrum does the traffic police tow your vehicle?
Pramod
OT
AFAIK, they do not tow your vehicle in Tvm, but they fix a sticker saying that "You've been booked"

Last edited by clevermax : 18th May 2010 at 15:44.
Old 19th May 2010, 17:37   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post

I will be taking it to MGF Hyundai tomorrow, but want to have a little know-how to avoid being taken for a ride.

Nitin
Another thing which I have noticed but not mentioned here that when I turned the AC on, there was a humming sound in the cabin and steering was vibrating mildly. The sound and vibration goes as soon as I turn-off the AC.

I told this to service adviser at MGF and his diagnosis was that this is due to some play in the radiator fan. When I turn the AC on, the fan starts moving and this causes the vibration and sound. But I am not convinced with this reasoning. He also says that this will not have any long-term effects and advised me to continue driving with it. According to him this does not have anything to be stuck in the sand and is a normal wear and tear.

This sound and vibrations was not there before I was stuck, therefore I do not believe him. Please tell me what can be the possible reasons and how can I check it.

Thanks

Nitin
Old 19th May 2010, 17:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
guys even i towed my frenz zen with my zen..i had problems with the clutch later .....
Somebody should write a thread "Art of Towing". This will give neccesary information to all future car towers.
Old 19th May 2010, 17:50   #44
Team-BHP Support

All your problems seem to be engine mounts related. Get them checked, and replace if needed. Thats about it.
Old 19th May 2010, 18:20   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
All your problems seem to be engine mounts related. Get them checked, and replace if needed. Thats about it.
But why will this vibrations occur only when AC is on?

Nitin

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks