Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2021, 10:11   #61
BHPian

Re: Tips on maintaining the Hyundai Creta for cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
Well, what you are mentioning repeatedly as 'recalibration' is basically a 'reset' of the SAS. There exists pretty much a difference between these two terms in the automotive world as well as in general metrology. Scarcely, any EPS equipped car needs a SAS reset if the wheel alignment is done properly by locking the steering wheel in a straight position ...
I would beg to disagree here because a "reset" would mean bringing the SAS values back to the figures when the car first came out of the factory. That would be impossible without replacing all associated parts. I specifically used the word "recalibration" because firstly, the SAS needs to be taught that the new position of the steering column/wheel is the base/reference/straight position. Secondly, the software used by Hyundai ASCs with their OBD2 devices specifically use the word "calibrate" and not the word "reset". Thirdly, aftermarket garages and aftermarket OBD2 devices too use the word "calibration" and not the word "reset".

Here is proof that the automobile industry uses the word "calibration" and not "reset" when calibrating the steering angle sensor :-

1) Here is the situation in Hyundai ASCs where they use Hyundai's own OBD software :-

2) And here is the situation with aftermarket OBD2 devices :-

3) Another example of an aftermarket situation with another cheaper type of OBD2 device :-

As you can see above, no device uses the word "reset" regarding the calibration of the steering angle sensor

Quote:
Yes, I reiterate, the calibration information is always confidential with every car maker out there. This remains esoteric between the car-maker and the specific part supplier forever with a signed NDA (non-disclosure agreement). What is offered by some advanced third party OBD tools like Autel, Hunter Codelink etc. is nothing but some model-wise 'reset' option of various sensors. The database of these OBD tools is not yet updated with all the Indian cars plying on road.

And you can't change the calibration yourself for most of the digital sensors of your car. I believe no customer has ever tried to reverse-engineer these! Let me redirect to another thread for more clarification.
Sadly, I cannot agree here as well. European laws make it mandatory for car manufacturers to share all information publicly for all the car manufacturers. Since the 1st generation Creta was sold in Europe
till its discontinuation, all information about the car is indeed available in the public domain if we pay for it.

I claimed that the calibration details were available and I intend to stand by my words. Changing the calibration details is a different matter.

Quote:
A service/workshop manual is obviously more detailed than an owner's manual, but it's not the Bible for the car. You can't change the camber and caster of your Creta given the chassis design and drive-train setup. I would be glad if proven wrong
I quite agree that changing the caster values is difficult (but not impossible) without structural changes to the car. However, I firmly believe that changing the camber values is relatively easier and can be easily done with aftermarket shock absorbers by replacing the stock
ones.

Quote:
TWI (tread wear indicator) is already given in any tyre and you may not need to go upto decimal level accuracy for balancing only. Even for that matter, you need to measure tread depth at multiple points of the same tyre to check whether there is non-uniform wear leading to an imbalance in the wheel-tyre assembly. This is itself a heavy overdoing at the customer level. There may be non-uniformity issues arising in all three axes viz. (RFV, LFV, TFV) which may not be linked with tread wear only, but with bearings, wheel hub, drums or rotors etc. This may be subjectively felt from the changed signature of the ride and handling of the car.
The TWI is mostly irrelevant in most tyres except for indicating when to replace the tyre. The TWI in most tyres does not indicate misalignment or improper balancing except until it is too late. That is why we use a cheap tread wear indicator device. And yes, we indeed measure the values at multiple points on the same tyre including its shoulders and compare the values with that of the other tyres as well, especially the one on the same axle.

You are absolutely correct when you say that irregular tread wear can also occur due to issues with the bearing, wheel hub, drums, rotors, etc
but those will have their own set of symptoms/indications and can indeed be "subjectively felt from the changed signature of the ride and handling of the car."

Quote:
I only hope your son doesn't crawl under the car while it is rested on the stock jack on one side although you mentioned earlier that he doesn't need it.
Even a novice should know that being under a car while it is on a stock jack is not recommended even if the wheel is removed and placed under the car at a suitable spot. Hence, I would not allow my son to do such a thing especially when we have jack stands and a trolley jack at home. Thank you very much for your concern

Quote:
And before signing off, may I know Hyundai has which automotive only college in Kolkata?
I believe that Hyundai has automotive colleges attached to some of its large service centres and even runs automotive educational facilities with other private and government institutions across India. I believe that the one I am talking about is called "Hyundai Technical College" in Kolkata. I believe that most students passing out from such institutions are absorbed into Hyundai's own workforce in various capacities. Here is an old news article that I found about a similar situation from a few years ago :- https://www.autocarpro.in/news-natio...-college-27138
Chhanda Das is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 10:52   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post

Here is proof that the automobile industry uses the word "calibration" and not "reset" when calibrating the steering angle sensor :-
Sadly, the way local mechanics and technicians at ASC term different automobile things are often misnomers and they don't comprise the entire automobile industry. There are n-number of examples to substantiate it, you know. Nowadays, anybody can post YouTube videos with any claim and the real automotive world is not a place to try a culinary recipe in the kitchen after watching some of those posted by XYZ.

Quote:
Sadly, I cannot agree here as well...

I claimed that the calibration details were available and I intend to stand by my words. Changing the calibration details is a different matter.
Quote:
For example, Hyundai themselves sell the service manuals, body-in-white diagrams, etc of their cars online. I got the recommended calibration details (toe, camber, caster, king-pin, etc) of my Creta from a Hyundai ASC here in Kolkata.
I understand you have quite a fascination with the word 'calibration'. However, the parameters you mentioned above are not at all any calibration values; rather they are the design specification (static settings to control the kinematics) of the hard points of the chassis-suspension system. These values are indeed publicly available for any car! In the last post, I explicitly talked about digital sensors.

Quote:
I quite agree that changing the caster values is difficult (but not impossible) without structural changes to the car. However, I firmly believe that changing the camber values is relatively easier and can be easily done with aftermarket shock absorbers by replacing the stock ones.
I agree, there are multiple ways to do it but not within the regime of usual service of an FWD vehicle like Creta. Any crashed car also has changed spec. of caster-camber values!

Quote:
I believe that the one I am talking about is called "Hyundai Technical College" in Kolkata. I believe that most students passing out from such institutions are absorbed into Hyundai's own workforce in various capacities.
Ah! This is a vocational skill development centre in association with some ITI colleges for the apprentices of the authorised service centres. Mohan Motors also had a body shop academy before, IIRC.

However, I must admit 'jingoism' about own car has its own dynamic height and none can scale it except the 1st person. Happy wheeling with your Creta.
Blooming Flower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 13:33   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Sadly, the way local mechanics and technicians at ASC term different automobile things are often misnomers and they don't comprise the entire automobile industry. There are n-number of examples to substantiate it, you know. Nowadays, anybody can post YouTube videos with any claim and the real automotive world is not a place to try a culinary recipe in the kitchen after watching some of those posted by XYZ.
It is quite apparent that sadly, you didn't even watch the videos where the softwares themselves (including the Hyundai one) use the word "calibrate" and not the word "reset" which is quite contrary to your claims. Just so you know, the person using the Hyundai software in the first video works at the Hyundai ASC which I visited during the first 3 services of my car.

Quote:
I understand you have quite a fascination with the word 'calibration' ... In the last post, I explicitly talked about digital sensors.
I believe that the sensor for the steering angle in my car, which is indeed a digital sensor is meant to be "recalibrated" and not "reset". My fascination is for technical accuracy based on evidence and I absolutely abhor fake news/claims.

For the steering wheel angle sensor, Tata too uses the term "calibration" and not "reset" :-

Similarly, Maruti too uses the word "calibration" and not the word "reset" :-

Even the largest car maker in the world (VAG) uses the word "calibration" and not the word "reset" in this case of the steering angle sensor:-

The point is that Maruti, Hyundai and Tata together cover almost the entire portion of the car industry in India and they use the word "calibration" instead of the technically incorrect word "reset" in case of the steering angle sensor.

Quote:
I agree, there are multiple ways to do it but not within the regime of usual service of an FWD vehicle like Creta.
Wow, this is quite contrary to your initial claim that the camber of a car cannot be changed.

Quote:
This is a vocational skill development centre in association with some ITI colleges for the apprentices of the authorised service centres. Mohan Motors also had a body shop academy before, IIRC.
Happy wheeling with your Creta.
The example I shared was that of a vocational skill development centre to show that Hyundai indeed runs educational institutions. However, the one at my preferred ASC is more like a regular college. You can verify it yourself when you visit Kolkata.

Thank you for the kind wishes
Chhanda Das is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 14:13   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

....... . Now, I am sure that you know that it would not be a good idea to mix DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake fluids......
Dot 3 and 4 fluids can be mixed since both are glycol based.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 30th September 2021 at 14:14.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 14:35   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Dot 3 and 4 fluids can be mixed since both are glycol based.
I was under the same impression as well but seem to find conflicting reports about this. Hyundai's website recommends not to mix the fluids and the same is mentioned on the cap of the brake fluid reservoir of my car as well. And going by the number of owners complaining about braking issues in the 1st generation Creta, I am not taking any chances even though touchwood, my car has not faced any braking issues till date and has been driven on treacherous North-East Indian roads as well

Tips on maintaining the Hyundai Creta for cheap-brake-oil.png
Old 30th September 2021, 14:40   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was under the same impression as well but seem to find conflicting reports about this. Hyundai's website recommends not to mix the fluids and the same is mentioned on the cap of the brake fluid reservoir of my car as well.
I do not know why Hyundai mentions not to mix. However, technically, they can be mixed without problem. Yes, your choice.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks