Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2007, 12:40   #1
BHPian

Please help identifying problem in my Swift ...

These days I am facing a strange issue in my Swift. Looking forward to all techies out here to guess what it can be as the source of the problem can not be located even by MASS and my good old garage wallah....

Problem
--------

Whenever I gently depress clutch to move my carwhen it's not moving, a sound like "tuk tuk" comes somewhere from the engine bay.
This sound doesn't appear if I race the engine a bit and release clutch more quickly.

Also, whenever I change gear and release clutch slightly, same type of sound appears. But this time it sounds like "khrrrrr khrrrrrr". (When car is moving). This sound is faint but can be heard easily.

MASS was not able to locate the sound but they kept my car for three days and said they have replaced some "SEAM". After I took delivery of my car, sound didn't appeared for first 10 minutes. But again it started.

My old garrage wallah suspects that mounting is loose somewhere and something is touching to it.

To identify the problem, he pulled on the hand brakes and engaged fourth gear and then gently released the clutch. What we saw was the engine moved backwards a bit (due to hand brakes on) and it seemed that it might be touching something on mounting..but it can not be concluded....

I again approached to MASS and told them to tighten mounting and all.
They tightened all the bolts and checked mounting in front of me by lifting my car on the jack...but alas..the problem persists....

Any clues guys...? Anybody facing similar issue ?

It's not affecting anything but while releasing clutch the sound appears and it dont feel good.....

Anyone knows "fundu" good mechanic in Pune, pl. let me know
Old 19th May 2007, 20:28   #2
BANNED

may the clutch release bearin g has a problem . try checking the cluth plate cover assembly and the release bearing .
Old 19th May 2007, 21:01   #3
BHPian

Did you identify the area from where it comes?!! Maruti has released a notification to all MASS and Dealers about the source of similar sound from the underbody/engine bay!! According to the notification, this sound generates from strut assembly!! A simple dismantling of strut and reassembling the same proper lubrication will fix the problem!! Ask your MASS guy whether they have received such a notification from company!! Kochi MASS guy has recieved such a letter!

Last edited by nikkibike : 19th May 2007 at 21:03.
Old 19th May 2007, 22:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

If it is indeed the clutch thats causing the issue, make sure the play is correct...an incorrectly set play can lead to premature clutch failure....and also get the release bearing checked.

Drifter
Old 19th May 2007, 23:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

How much has your Swift done? Swift Clutches dont last long from what i have heard.

All New Marutis seem to be having this problem.
Old 20th May 2007, 12:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
Did you identify the area from where it comes?!! Maruti has released a notification to all MASS and Dealers about the source of similar sound from the underbody/engine bay!! According to the notification, this sound generates from strut assembly!! A simple dismantling of strut and reassembling the same proper lubrication will fix the problem!! Ask your MASS guy whether they have received such a notification from company!! Kochi MASS guy has recieved such a letter!
Thanks nikkibike.
I will now check this out with MASS. However if it is strut problem then this sound should come with every bump in the pothole which doesn't happen...

It's only when clutch is released slightly this "tuk tuk" sounds come faintly..

I have alerady lost around 300 rupees of petrol as MASS is 10 km from my home.....

Let's see, I will hold their neck to get it rectified....
Old 20th May 2007, 14:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
may the clutch release bearin g has a problem . try checking the cluth plate cover assembly and the release bearing .
Guys, just back from MASS. This has been identified as gearbox and clutch bearing problem. MASS was trying to pass it of as a minor sound but I stick to my point that it may intensify over the period and I will have to pay huge bucks for gearbox overhaul...

Now they have agreed for gearbox O/H and bearings etc...

Will keep you guys posted on this..I will be missing my baby for next 3-4 days..
Old 20th May 2007, 21:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
Guys, just back from MASS. This has been identified as gearbox and clutch bearing problem. MASS was trying to pass it of as a minor sound but I stick to my point that it may intensify over the period and I will have to pay huge bucks for gearbox overhaul...

Now they have agreed for gearbox O/H and bearings etc...

Will keep you guys posted on this..I will be missing my baby for next 3-4 days..
Good that you identified the source of the sound!! Get it fixed as early as possible.

Drive on..!
Old 20th May 2007, 21:48   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

How did your Swift develop gearbox/clutch problem so quickly? Are your shifts smooth and clutch not ridden?
Old 20th May 2007, 23:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

If your car is within warranty, i would advice you to leave the car with maruti & let them come up with a solution that satisfies all. do not take delivery of the car until you are fully satisfied that the fault has been identified & rectified.
Old 21st May 2007, 00:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
If your car is within warranty, i would advice you to leave the car with maruti & let them come up with a solution that satisfies all. do not take delivery of the car until you are fully satisfied that the fault has been identified & rectified.

and also get a job card made at MASS for every visit even if its just a small issue. It can always helps u in case the MASS ppl turn their back on u when a major issue creeps up...Learnt this from my personal experience...
Old 21st May 2007, 12:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
How did your Swift develop gearbox/clutch problem so quickly? Are your shifts smooth and clutch not ridden?
theMAG, there are a whole of Swifts with this problem!! Few batches of Swifts came out in late 2006 and early 2007 has so many different problems!! Wonder why therez no big voice from the owners on these problems!! Either the problems are unnoticed by the owners OR most of the people have ignored those minor sounds!! Am sure these problems exist with many Swifts!!
Old 21st May 2007, 14:19   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Yes, initially there were a few problems with the clutch on the swifts. But I am told that MUL has sorted it all out. In a completely different swing, abhay I suggest that you once have a look at if the front rim lug nuts are tightened well. This also sounds like "tuk tuk". I also thought it was initially some problem with the gearbox or the driveshafts. Turned out to be loose lug nuts.
Old 22nd May 2007, 10:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Yes, initially there were a few problems with the clutch on the swifts. But I am told that MUL has sorted it all out. In a completely different swing, abhay I suggest that you once have a look at if the front rim lug nuts are tightened well. This also sounds like "tuk tuk". I also thought it was initially some problem with the gearbox or the driveshafts. Turned out to be loose lug nuts.
Thanks mclaren. I will ask them to check that too.
I am convinced now that this is a gearbox noise. MASS carried out a simple test to identify this. My car was driven on fourth gear (around 60 kmhr) and then they switched off engine. And that sound exactly like khrrrrrrrrrrr was coming clearly. Seemed some bearings has gone loose somewhere... (This was done on quiet playground !!!)

Gearbox O/H is suggested. I met their service manager and clearly told him that I want permanent solution to this and want replacement to faulty parts. Since it's a second gearbox o/h within 5 months, I am very dissatisfied ...blah blah..

Let's see, I have dropped my car there yesterday and might get it back by Friday. Will keep you posted on this.

b.t.w. I have also demanded brake lines cleanup and caliper pin setting also
Old 22nd May 2007, 12:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Since it's a second gearbox o/h within 5 months,
Second gearbox o/h in 5 months sorry if I missed a point somewhere, but i think they have done a bad job on the first overhaul.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks