Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2021, 14:24   #1

Which one first - Suspension repair or Tyre change?

I have a 2014 Honda Brio Automatic and it has been a smooth driver so far for 55K Kilometres. It's time to change the tyres now since they are quite worn out. Since I've used the car for city drive only and no highway speeds, it kind of got delayed more than I wanted.

Now in last service, the ASS suggested that I get the suspension repaired too since there are some abnormal vibration & hardness that I feel as well.

The question is if I get the tyre changed first, the suspension might make the tyres wear faster. Or if I get the suspension changed first, the old hard tyre may impact the suspension too. Because of the work involved I may need to space this up by 2-3 weeks.

What is the suggestion on which one should I get done first?

Also, what are some recommended FNGs in Bangalore for getting suspension work done? Or, should I get this done at ASS only?

(Note to mods: if wrong category, please move the thread)
prashant007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 16:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which one first - Suspension repair or Tyre change?

Why not buy the tyres first and keep them at your place and then when you're ready, get everything done at once? Assuming you use only OEM parts, the diff. between a FNG vs ASC would be a couple of thousand at most. Do take a second opinion if suspension overhaul is indeed necessary. The tyres though, buy/install them at a tyre shops. Madhus for instance.
libranof1987 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 16:38   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant007 View Post
Now in last service, the ASS suggested that I get the suspension repaired too since there are some abnormal vibration & hardness that I feel as well.
What do they mean by suspension repair? Suspension is made up of few components - Lower arm, link rod, tie rod, shock absorber, strut mount, strut bearing. Which part are they suggesting to replace?
sagarpadaki is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 16:50   #4
BHPian

I suggest you change the tyres first and see if the vibrations still persist. You may be pleasantly surprised to see that the suspension does not have an issue that needs work at all. Also request to judge this based on what you feel when you drive the car rather than just on what the service guy says. They have an incentive for pushing additional maintenance jobs that may not be necessary.
MinivanDriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 17:13   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

IF you really have a suspension problem, get that changed first. Then drive out and change the tyres as well. Even if you delay a week or two its OK, it wont damage your new suspension.
dhanushs is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 17:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

In my view, first thing to check is, if the suspension is really gone hard. We are assuming that they have gone bad based on SA advice, which is just 10-20% trustable.

What I would do is, go to local mechanic and ask him to check if suspension is in good condition and does it really need a replacement. Based on his tests and assessment, you can conclude if they are really bad.

Parallelly, you can change the tires since you have already assessed and have concluded it needs replacement.

Most likely, tire replacement will resolve the hardness problem.

Last edited by gkveda : 28th October 2021 at 17:35.
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 17:36   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

As @minivandriver said:

Change the tyres first. Then decide if suspensions are bad and need any work.

Old tyres do get hard, and dont have the flex in them to absorb the roughness they normally do. By changing tyres. you can seperate the two issues simplify the resolution.

A.S.C's have their targets, and possibly are pulling a fast one. The tyres are an obvious change, but too early to say that suspensions need to be worked on too.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 18:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Option 1 - I will say start with the cheapest option first; if the cost of suspension repair < cost of tire replacement, then go for suspension repair.

Option 2 - Your ASC should have a mechanism of testing the reliability of suspension (I know Maruti has one for sure); get an automated report based on suspension test to determine if suspension really needs a change

Option 3 - Do not trust the ASC blindly; search this forum, find couple of FNG closer to your locality & check with them if the suspension is really an issue & take the route of option #1
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 18:43   #9
BHPian

I've had a similar experience with our Honda City back in 2009/2010. It was a 2006 car that had run 60K+ km and we'd forgotten to change the tyres. Yes, you read that right - forgotten.

On a drive to Pune, the car was making a very loud noise so I thought that mechanically the car was shot. Took it to a nearby garage just to check what was wrong and whether the car was irreparable. The guy looked at the tyres and immediately asked me to just get them replaced and not worry. A new set of tyres gave the car a new lease to its life.

My opinion about your situation is as follows.

Your tyres need replacement whether or not your suspension is shot. Might as well first do that and check the performance of the car. If the suspension still needs replacement after a few weeks, consider it.
anandavinash is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 08:57   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Suspension repair doesn’t give the clear picture. How old are the existing tyres? What all parts need to be replaced?
Old 29th October 2021, 10:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

All correct above. Either ways, with a gap of 2-3 weeks will not make a big difference. I would get a second opinion on the suspension first and get that repaired. Suspension and tyre wear do not have a immediate correlation but does have impact over a period of time.

If you are losing sleep over this. Wait it out for both till you accumulate enough funds and get both jobs done together. It wont make too much of a difference (since both will change later)
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 10:34   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
55k & 7-year-old tyres set off enough vibration & hardness to confuse between tyres and suspension. Brio suspensions are reasonably durable, and should not need any major overhaul at 55k km.
Quote:
The question is if I get the tyre changed first, the suspension might make the tyres wear faster. Or if I get the suspension changed first, the old hard tyre may impact the suspension too.
If your tyres show no major atypical tread wear, replace the tyres first. Even if there is uneven tread wear, the tyre shop will tell you when they are carrying out wheel alignment, if your suspension is in good shape or not.
Quote:
Because of the work involved I may need to space this up by 2-3 weeks.
Should not make a difference to tyre life if tyres are put in first.
Quote:
Also, what are some recommended FNGs in Bangalore for getting suspension work done? Or, should I get this done at ASS only?
Your location shows Delhi, but the car is in Bengaluru? I'd suggest you have this tyre centre (Madhus Tyre Centre - Wilson Garden, Bangalore) change your tyres as well as get genuine advice regarding the state of your suspension.
SS-Traveller is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 11:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Your location shows Delhi, but the car is in Bengaluru? I'd suggest you have this tyre centre (Madhus Tyre Centre - Wilson Garden, Bangalore) change your tyres as well as get genuine advice regarding the state of your suspension.
Thanks for the sound advice. Need to update my location
prashant007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 14:21   #14

Which one first - Suspension repair or Tyre change?-20211031_110410.jpg

Got new Goodyear pairs at Madhus Today. Surprisingly, all noise and wobble is gone and Brio is fun to drive again. Technician too said that the suspension is pretty good. I'm getting quite a good torque too it seems

Thanks everyone
prashant007 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 18:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Got new Goodyear pairs at Madhus Today. Surprisingly, all noise and wobble is gone and Brio is fun to drive again. Technician too said that the suspension is pretty good. I'm getting quite a good torque too it seems

Thanks everyone
Good that you looked at the tyres first rather than going the expensive suspension repair.
My Honda Jazz was evaluated to have 'weak' suspension at just 25000 on the ODO by the A.S.S Recommendation was obviously to change the Suspension.
I had questioned the quality of Honda cars at that point and they insisted its a recommendation and not necessary to do it.
Had my car checked at an FNG and as expected there was no problem with the suspension.
superchamp is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks