Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2014, 17:48   #16
BHPian

Re: Stiff power steering : What could be the problem?

Guess, I'll have to bite the bullet and take it for a check at the ASC. I was thinking of waiting till I experience such a thing the third time, just to confirm that this is indeed happening and has got nothing to do with anything else.
Old 29th January 2014, 18:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Steering issue with Chevy Optra SRV 1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Hi friends,

I purchased a used Chevy SRV about 10 months back. The car already had around 50k kms when I purchased it and I have used the car for another 6k-7k kms in the last 10 months.

Recently I noticed twice in a span of 6 days that while turning the car, at slow speeds, I felt for a moment that I couldn't turn the steering, it had become heavy and felt like I was turning the steering wheel when the car is parked. This issue happened both when I was turning left, the first time and right, the second time and both times I was below 20kmph. I'm worried that there could be some problem with my steering setup. I'm not sure I can take my car on long drives, with this problem, as it could be risky if the steering suddenly behaves like this at high speeds.

I haven't checked the steering fluid level as primarly I'm unaware of where this is located. I haven't noticed any leakages underneath my car. In early december the service center replaced the front right side shock absorber as the older one had worn out. Also, recently I inflated the tyres to 35psi instead of 30, to check the ride quality at this inflated level. I don't hear any ticking sound as well when I'm turning the wheel and when it is working normally the steering feels butter smooth, without any heaviness or vibration. I'm not sure what the problem is!

If some expert can guide me on what needs to be done, I will be grateful. I'm currently residing in Baroda, Gujarat and my first service experience with Gopinathji (authorised GM ASC), was not really convincing. If users can also suggest some better service center where I can get my car checked, it would be really helpful.
GO to the service station and ask them to connect their diagnostics tool and check if any error code has been registered. Secondly, since yours is a Hydraulic power steering, ask them to bleed the circuit. If the first option comes out with a fault code, they'll know how to do. If there is no error code, go ahead with the bleeding and check for some days and see what happens.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 21:18   #18
BHPian

Hi Friends

As i reported on some other threads but still not able to get a solution to my Ciaz's stiff steering so posting it here again. I have a one year old ciaz top model zdi+ with stock 195 55 r16 good year tyres.Initially it was all good till 12k kms but after that i started feeling the steering to be a lot stiffer.
Also there there was some noise like a steering ratle at low speeds on a piece of uneven road but a minor one. I took it to MASS and took me almost three to four times to convince them that there is some problem with the steering assebly and finally got it replaced under warranty. The problem is that i felt a small difference at low speeds but today when i drove it for around 40kms it again felt the same as it used to be. I am not sure what else needs to be checked. The tyres have only run 20k kms. Just to let you know the steering assembly of ciaz did not include the steering rack and eps motor. It was only a Rod shaped part . Should i push them for replacing my EPS motor too?

Please help, as this issue has already caused me several sleepless nights.��

Last edited by RaSing : 31st August 2017 at 21:19.
Old 31st August 2017, 21:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
Hi Friends

As i reported on some other threads but still not able to get a solution to my Ciaz's stiff steering so posting it here again. I have a one year old ciaz top model zdi+ with stock 195 55 r16 good year tyres.Initially it was all good till 12k kms but after that i started feeling the steering to be a lot stiffer.
Also there there was some noise like a steering ratle at low speeds on a piece of uneven road but a minor one. I took it to MASS and took me almost three to four times to convince them that there is some problem with the steering assebly and finally got it replaced under warranty. The problem is that i felt a small difference at low speeds but today when i drove it for around 40kms it again felt the same as it used to be. I am not sure what else needs to be checked. The tyres have only run 20k kms. Just to let you know the steering assembly of ciaz did not include the steering rack and eps motor. It was only a Road shaped part . Should i push them for replacing my EPS motor too?

Please help, as this issue has already caused me several sleepless nights.��
Try to force them to replace steering rack. I doubt motor will go wrong.
Old 31st August 2017, 21:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Try to force them to replace steering rack. I doubt motor will go wrong.

According to them , they replaced the assembly for the rattle noise that i could reproduce in front of them. They did not acknowledge the hard steering issue. But they agreed to change it and the replacement of steering assembly was the only possible solution which should have solved both the rattle as well as the hard steering. They told me to get the tyres replaced in case i still feel that the steering is hard, which i doubt specially since two different tyre vendors told me that changing the tyres wont make any difference other than the initial feel of new tyres. I was confused as to which part should i get replaced . The rack or the tyres? Or any other thing. Needless to mention after the assembly changed they did a wheel alignment already and am running 34-35 psi which is already over inflated as per the recommended tyre pressure.
Old 1st September 2017, 18:23   #21
BHPian

Sorry. I think i mentioned a wrong part name. My steering assembly replaced included the rack. It was the steering column that was not replaced. Pardon me for my limited technical knowledge on this front. And in the case of ciaz the eps motor is on the column as i was told by the technician.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks