Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2021, 17:20   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta: dashboard & steering wheel develop cracks; dealer says due to heat

Thanks for sharing, Sridhu! Moving your post out to a new thread. A new thread means 100X the views & 100X the visibility in search engines, including Google. Was added to our homepage yesterday .

@ BHPians, if you should spot any substantial post in an existing thread that deserves its own new thread, please report the post and we'll move it out for greater visibility.

Thank you!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 17:59   #17
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta: dashboard & steering wheel develop cracks; dealer says due to heat

Hi,
From my experience, I suspect someone might have tampered it and may have cracked while fixing it back. These are push to fit plastic & requires skill, tools. I have used Toyota/ Nissans in the past in the ME, they last quite long even after 15+ years despite the heat factor. Just my views....
Old 5th December 2021, 18:47   #18
BHPian

This is definitely a quality issue. It's not to do with any running condition or heat. My Crysta has done only 44k on the past 5 years and always parked in the garage. It also has the crack on the right air vent cover. The dash was never opened and no misuse ever. The annual service is this week and I certainly am going to raise a complaint even though I know that this will not get covered under warranty.

Toyota Innova Crysta: dashboard & steering wheel develop cracks; dealer says due to heat-pxl_20211205_110324422.jpg
kutts is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 19:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
This is definitely a quality issue. It's not to do with any running condition or heat. My Crysta has done only 44k on the past 5 years and always parked in the garage. It also has the crack on the right air vent cover. The dash was never opened and no misuse ever. The annual service is this week and I certainly am going to raise a complaint even though I know that this will not get covered under warranty.

Attachment 2241753
That crack looks identical to mine! I was wondering how you removed the red circle so neatly!
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 19:06   #20
BHPian

Just thinking out loud - is the crack on AC due to surface brittleness caused by sudden chill and heat transition on the AC grill in the course of time ?

Could be a wrong hypothesis.

Do both owners who reported the crack on grill keep AC grill pointed towards window in the direction where crack is present ?

Last edited by steadfast : 5th December 2021 at 19:08.
steadfast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 19:11   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
Just thinking out loud - is the crack on AC due to surface brittleness caused by sudden chill and heat transition on the AC grill in the course of time ?

I would support that issue, even though it isnt an excuse for Toyota. Even on my bike, both the times this crack has surfaced, it was in the December winter. The instrument cluster is located right up where the heat from the radiator rises when the bike is stationary. Both the times, I head out on a ride early in the cold weather, return with everything normal. Once I park the bike and the heat starts rising upwards, the panel cracks and I discover this once I return to the bike. For the Innova, the AC panel crack on the driver side can be associated with this but I am not able to understand the crack on the dash trim on the passenger side.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 19:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Do both owners who reported the crack on grill keep AC grill pointed towards window in the direction where crack is present ?
I always keep air vents pointed to the driver or co passenger on the other side. Never to the window.
Old 5th December 2021, 20:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No. It is not pointed at the window normally. In fact, in no particular direction.

Anyway, the LHS crack is on the driver side.
Old 5th December 2021, 20:22   #24
BHPian

My Crysta also has the same cracks but I never thought that this was such a widespread issue. I just figured mine was a one-off.
mak.prasada is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 03:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Assemble your pictures indicating the year, model (or variant) and mileage and post on their social media page. Should give them something to work with. Does not matter if your car has passed the warranty claim window. Toyota sell ~80,000 Innova's a year. That is no small number for a vehicle pushing >25lacs. This is poor material quality and has affected a number of different car brands. Some have acknowledged them, many have not. If these cracks are coming up on cars that are well cared for, I wonder what the condition of the steering wheel, dashboard will be for all those Innova cabs on the road.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 07:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Assemble your pictures indicating the year, model (or variant) and mileage and post on their social media page. .
My twitter thread to Toyota is here: https://twitter.com/sridhu/status/14...585992193?s=20

@Toyota_India Toyota India Twitter Handle
@ToyotaMotorCorp Global Toyota Twitter Handle

The first one generally acknowledges & calls back within a day.

I am not on FB or Insta. Other people please pin their handles here.

Quick update: The dealer called me yesterday to get the pictures &, strangely, the picture of the odometer as well.

What is the government organization that I can complain to to trigger a recall? ARAI? Any links?

Last edited by sridhu : 7th December 2021 at 07:09.
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 12:48   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
The annual service is this week and I certainly am going to raise a complaint even though I know that this will not get covered under warranty.
The reply I got from the CRM was appalling. He told me that they had reported to Toyota based on previous complaints and the response from Toyota is that "it is caused by external factors". I asked him what these so called external factors were and he did not give a straight reply. His argument was that it is caused by putting strain on the dashboard while getting into the vehicle.

For the benefit of doubt I tried getting into the vehicle by putting my hand on the dashboard. I couldn't by any way get into the vehicle like that. Come on Toyota atleast give some practical excuse if you can't admit your bothched up quality.
kutts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 17:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

I think it is a lot more wide spread than we realise.

I was in my friend's Zx - same vintage as mine. His bezel had also cracked. He was not even aware of it until I pointed it out.

Toyota Innova Crysta: dashboard & steering wheel develop cracks; dealer says due to heat-20211212_121553.jpg

This is class-action suit level stuff, IMO

Last edited by sridhu : 12th December 2021 at 17:02.
sridhu is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 11:05   #29
BHPian

I had seen this earlier as well. While I was looking at used Crysta to purchase, I came across one that had run around 85K and had cracks around the AC vents, cracked steering etc.. I wasn't aware of the issues with crysta at that time and skipped it because perceived it to be not taken care of properly. I am now thinking this is more widespread than rare occurrence.
superchamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 07:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

Update:

Toyota has agreed to replace the dashboard trim & steering wheel under warranty.

I have given the car for that work yesterday.

I have also raised the following 3 issues:
- Engine noise is high
- Wind noise seeping in to the cabin at speed
- Gear shift is notchy

The car is going to be delivered today.

The preliminary report is that notchy gear shift, particularly 1 to 2 is normal and is present across even new cars (!!) They are adjusting the play & travel and lubricating the clutch to make the feel better.

They have accepted that wind noise is present, possibly thru a minor gap in the windscreen sealant. The windscreen was replaced after being cracked. What the fix is, is not clear

Engine noise: they don't think anything is wrong. All their computerized diagnostics are coming up clean. I have reiterated that both I & my driver noticed the increased noise and that this was the first clue for engine replacement earlier. I have asked them to do a deeper dive.

Once Toyota decided to respond, they have been responsive. So has the dealer. I think the action had to be triggered at Toyota level. This forum has, I am sure, been instrumental in getting pressure to bear on Toyota to do the right thing.

I will update once I get the car back and do a TD.
sridhu is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks