Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2021, 12:29   #16
Kln
BHPian

Re: Peculiar case of Battery Drain with the 70mai Hardwire kit and the BS6 Bolero

I had a similar issue with my A500s Pro Plus hardwired. I just changed the connections to ACC2 and a 15A fuse. It solved the issue. I also had an issue wherein if I pressed the horn too long the fuse would blow. I did a workaround by swapping the 5A fuse to a 15A fuse.
Kln is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 15:37   #17
BHPian

Re: Peculiar case of Battery Drain with the 70mai Hardwire kit and the BS6 Bolero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
I had a similar issue with my A500s Pro Plus hardwired. I just changed the connections to ACC2 and a 15A fuse. It solved the issue. I also had an issue wherein if I pressed the horn too long the fuse would blow. I did a workaround by swapping the 5A fuse to a 15A fuse.
I have a A800 to be installed. This was informative to make sure I take necessary precautions while installing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik.genius View Post
I would not recommend a power bank to be left inside a car. The high capacity Li Ion battery is a fire hazard, especially in a hot country like ours. Li Ion and heat don't mix well.
This is true. Li Ion batteries are pretty dangerous and having them always in the car is asking for trouble.
TheCarLover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 19:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I would prefer electronic devices to take power from an additional power bank than a car's battery. Is there a way you can connect one in parallel that would switch over when the engine is off?
You can definitely do that by using a VSR or a voltage sensitive relay module. In fact, VSRs have been used by motorhome owners, caravaners, boat owners, boondocks enthusiasts and car campers alike to draw power from the auxiliary battery without draining the vehicle engine's starting battery. The advantage of VSRs is that both batteries can get recharged when the engine is on and yet only one battery gets drained after the total system voltage reduces to a particular point due to the VSR disconnecting the engine starting battery from the load when the engine is off. However, VSRs have certain disadvantages as well especially if the load draw is high and the vehicle is only used for short intermittent trips. Also, if you want to use the auxiliary battery for jump starting the vehicle then a VSR bypass (usually a manual one) needs to be present. Maybe, I am digressing too much but I hope you get the idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
... but I am at a loss of ideas, so please do suggest a better alternative if you can.
I faced a very similar problem to yours when using a refrigerator in my car. You can easily add a VSR with a low voltage cutoff at 11.5 volts (or any other voltage of your choice as per the minimum starting voltage of your car's engine while accounting for a little leeway) to continue to use the parking surveillance feature. And you would need an auxiliary battery for this as well. You can use a small 12v home router backup battery pack for this as well instead of the more expensive batteries. However, these batteries are usually made of lithium and hence are prone to explosions especially when exposed to heat. So you might want to consider choosing a supercapacitor instead. If you do not intend to use the parking surveillance feature then your intention of connecting both positive wires to the same source may or may not work. This is because I recently reviewed a dashcam from SafeCams which would not turn on if both the positive wires had the same voltage but you might get lucky with your dashcam. Here is the link if you are interested :-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...-my-creta.html (DIY Install & Review | Y3S Dual Dashcam in my Creta)

I hope this helps

Last edited by Chhanda Das : 16th December 2021 at 19:42.
Chhanda Das is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 23:24   #19
BANNED

Thanks a lot guys!

I dropped the idea of introducing a power bank into the equation as I do not believe in paying for anything other than 3rd party insurance and keeping a Li-On battery in the car permanently seemed like a really bad idea as per your advice. Super-capacitors and VSRM's are not an option considering the pricing, same goes for getting another Dashcam as I do not want to waste the one I currently have, however if this one conks off then I'd not be going back to 70mai for sure without the option of analogue cut-off setting.

I was waiting to reply until I got hold of my hardwire kit and that I did early today.

As mentioned by Chanda ma'am I did test to see if both lines given to the same source would result in the Camera acting up but fortunately it worked like nothing was wrong, however I did separately fix them in order to use up the extra fuse tap, OCD I tell you!

I'd hooked up the fuses to "Audio/Cluster" and "Audio" fuses, since both fire up and die with the ignition key.

So I believe that's sorted for now and have a lot of options for the future as well.

Regards,
A.P.
Old 2nd September 2023, 15:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Hey guys, just reporting an issue I'd been facing with the 70mai Dashcam Hardwire kit.
Nexdigitron offers a battery pack which can take care of your parking surveillance without draining juice from the car's battery. You could look at that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCarLover View Post

This is true. Li Ion batteries are pretty dangerous and having them always in the car is asking for trouble.
Battery packs specifically designed for Dashcams are made of different materials that are heat resistant and safe for car use. Search for it on Youtube. There is a channel called BLACKBOXMYCAR. They have good info on it.

Last edited by bblost : 2nd September 2023 at 16:27. Reason: back to back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks