Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2022, 14:33   #31
BHPian

Re: Taller 5th gear ratio for better fuel efficiency & top end speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourav@1977 View Post
I am going to retain the car till it's RC expiry on December 2032.
How does your car have RC validity till 2032? Don't the RTOs issue fitness for 5 years for such an old car as yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourav@1977 View Post
FE is around 22kmpl without AC and 18 kmpl with AC on highways. While i don't cross 2000rpm on any gears and always keep tyres at 32psi.
I am missing a sixth gear on this car badly.
I think those are fantastic FE figures your car is delivering! This is a fun discussion to have hypothetically. However, if you're really planning on tweaking your gear ratios for better FE, I honestly don't think the effort will be worthwhile monetarily or otherwise.
Old 30th January 2022, 15:10   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
How does your car have RC validity till 2032? Don't the RTOs issue fitness for 5 years for such an old car as yours?

I think those are fantastic FE figures your car is delivering! This is a fun discussion to have hypothetically. However, if you're really planning on tweaking your gear ratios for better FE, I honestly don't think the effort will be worthwhile monetarily or otherwise.
In rare cases depending on the condition they certify for 15 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Taller 5th gear ratio for better fuel efficiency & top end speed-img_20210811_1758485512.jpg  

Old 30th January 2022, 15:21   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumaran93R View Post
Your most cost effective method would be to install a CNG or LPG kit. Would reduce your running costs by 50% and 30% respectively. CNG is cheaper, but less power and range. LPG is a bit more expensive, but good range and power.

The only solution to the 5th gear would be to use Baleno's 5th gear at 0.696. Would reduce your RPM by a few hundred. But you'll have to slot the gear a bit later than now. Net net, you'll gain 1-2 kmpl at the most.

Gearbox work would be 10k easily. To recover that in savings would take a very long time.
Bro, this is what exactly I was looking for. So I have 2 options left---
1. To replace the esteem gear box with baleno's old model gear box. Is it a direct plug and play or some modifications are needed in mounting position and engine bay?
2. To replace the 5th gear pinions on the counter And input shaft from the baleno to the esteem. Will it match?
Old 31st January 2022, 19:51   #34
BHPian

That is one good looking Esteem.

I had a BS3 Esteem from 2008 to 2018. The maximum fuel efficiency I got with the tankful to tankful method was 23 kmpl in an Ambala to Delhi border solo run in peak winters and the heater on. The odo read about 58000 km at the time. The next highest was 20 kmpl in Goa to Pune run with family and AC on at all times. Tyre pressure was maintained as per manufacturer recommendation. I had similar figures on the on my other highway runs.

I now have a Ciaz AT which returned 20 kmpl in a Shirdi to Pune run. The tank was filled up at a Reliance pump on the outskirts of Shirdi and refilled at BPCL pump in the city.

The only thing common was that I was driving in my comfort zone of speeds of 80 - 90 kmph.

We still have a 95 Esteem in the family which has the best driveability among all the cars. It is not frugal but the gear ratios are well matched. I needed to really work the gears in the BS3 Esteem due to the tall gearing.

My take: you are getting a very good average. Please do not tinker with it - you may lose out on the driveability.

I would also suggest you maintain the recommended tyre pressure (26 ??) instead of 32. Oh, and do check the distributor if has been advanced. Advanced is more fun but less efficient. I do not recall if it had a vaccuum advance system.
dashoin is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks