Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2022, 05:42   #46
BHPian

Re: Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Thank you! This reaffirms that it is SP4! Going to order it from Amazon. SP4 is slightly more expensive than SP3. Mannol SP4 is INR 8000 for 4 liters.
Dhananjay_Desai
Re: Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")
Quote:
Thank you! This reaffirms that it is SP4! Going to order it from Amazon. SP4 is slightly more expensive than SP3. Mannol SP4 is INR 8000 for 4 liters.
This is from my Creta owner’s manual (it’s a 2021 model, 1.5 litre 6 speed AT diesel)

I think, I checked that link on amazon from where you (clevermax) intent to buy Mannol SP4 costing Rs. 8000. However, I would like to endorse 'Liqui Moly 3687 Top Tec 1800 ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid' , its SP-4 compatible, you can get it from amazon, it will cost you cheaper than Mannol, both are 'made in Germany', the one that you have selected will take some time to get delivered while Liqui moly will come early.

https://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-Aut.../dp/B00B80UVUU

I have been using Liqui moly engine oil for quite sometime as a non-OEM engine oil alternative for my car and they are good. Had I been unsuccessful in procuring OEM ATF for my car, I would have gladly switched to Liqui Moly ATF alternative.

Additionally, I am sharing a YouTube link for description of various ATF fluids depending upon type of transmissions:

Last edited by ritedhawan : 26th December 2022 at 05:59.
ritedhawan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 07:59   #47
BHPian

Has anyone have any experience of changing ATF for Ford Ecosport Petrol 2015? Any pointers will be much appreciated
Old 27th December 2022, 10:57   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, mine is a 6-Speed box. So it may be SP4's spec.
Quote:
Mannol SP4 is INR 8000 for 4 liters.
For the new gen 6 speed I would suggest sourcing the OEM Hyundai SP4 through the dealer (placing order) or outside before considering aftermarket fluids. Or will probably end up with an inferior (additive packages) fluid compared to the factory filled one. If the transmission is working properly no need to rush the change and even 100000kms change would be safe.

With engine oils going aftermarket is usually the superior choice but with ATF sticking with OEM fluid could be the better decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
I have a Kia Seltos Diesel Automatic & the manual says ATF is SAE 70W API GL-4 TGO-9 Grade
Infact this grade is standard across all seltos variants, petrol or diesel, manual or auto, even iMT
Any idea if ATF SAE 70W API GL-4 TGO-9 grade is easily available in India
Attaching the owners manual screenshot too
Looks like an edited copy of the owners manual. If not, the manual is wrong.70W API GL-4 TGO-9 is for manual transmissions and iMT.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 13:01   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Looks like an edited copy of the owners manual. If not, the manual is wrong.70W API GL-4 TGO-9 is for manual transmissions and iMT.
It's not edited, I've merely highlighted the relavant portions in a red box

Nevertheless, PFA the full page about recommended lubricants & fluids from the kia seltos owners manual

The recommended fluids for all transmission (auto, manual & even iMT) is SAE 70W API GL-4 TGO-9 grade oil

Is this grade easily available in India
Or
Is this grade another name for Hyundai SP-3 or SP-4
Attached Thumbnails
Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")-43d29690df0b407d9ab506cf07872b8b.jpeg  

Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")-1dd8c1d2544445f19132b259c895bd50.jpeg  

GSMINC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 19:22   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
It's not edited, I've merely highlighted the relavant portions in a red box

Nevertheless, PFA the full page about recommended lubricants & fluids from the kia seltos owners manual

The recommended fluids for all transmission (auto, manual & even iMT) is SAE 70W API GL-4 TGO-9 grade oil

Is this grade easily available in India
Or
Is this grade another name for Hyundai SP-3 or SP-4
Then it is a gross error by Hyundai/KIA. Someone did not proof read the manual before sending it to the press. Couldn't believe that someone would print erroneous information in the user manual and thought it must be edited and not original.

SAE 70W API GL-4 TGO-9 is a manual transmission fluid. It is a common grade used in the manual transmissions and freely available in the market from various suppliers. Its not another name for the ATF fluid.

If yours is the 6 speed automatic you need SP4. Unfortunately the printed manual is wrong and you should take it up with KIA. Their online version is correct.

Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")-kia_manual.jpg

Last edited by Sankar : 28th December 2022 at 19:25.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 18:02   #51

Hi everyone. Got a quick question for the fellow Corolla Altis owners here.

My Corolla Altis (2014-2017 version, petrol & VL model) has been dropped off for its 1 lakh km service. Following the information on team-bhp regarding pre-emptive maintenance for automatic transmissions, i instructed the SA to get the CVT fluid changed. He hesitantly obliged but now the ASC is asking me for the exact grade/number of the oil for replacing. They have also conveyed to me that replacing the CVT oil will take 5 days. My SA has made it very clear that the CVT oil replacement is not listed in their routine service and will be done on customer request at customers risk only, with no warranty whatsoever.

The issue here is that I don't have the owners manual since mine is a pre-owned car. The SA promised to find the details from his end but it doesnt sound too confident. Request any of the members here to please share the copy of their owners manual where the CVT oil grade is listed.
Old 21st January 2023, 20:38   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk View Post
Hi everyone. Got a quick question for the fellow Corolla Altis owners here.

My Corolla Altis (2014-2017 version, petrol & VL model) has been dropped off for its 1 lakh km service. Following the information on team-bhp regarding pre-emptive maintenance for automatic transmissions, i instructed the SA to get the CVT fluid changed. He hesitantly obliged but now the ASC is asking me for the exact grade/number of the oil for replacing. They have also conveyed to me that replacing the CVT oil will take 5 days. My SA has made it very clear that the CVT oil replacement is not listed in their routine service and will be done on customer request at customers risk only, with no warranty whatsoever.

The issue here is that I don't have the owners manual since mine is a pre-owned car. The SA promised to find the details from his end but it doesnt sound too confident. Request any of the members here to please share the copy of their owners manual where the CVT oil grade is listed.
This is absolute rubbish. How is it that an ASC doesn't know what fluid a car's gearbox takes in? If they had to fill in fluid in an unlikely event of a leakage, what would they do?

I genuinely think you should take this up with Toyota once.
vishy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 09:16   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
This is absolute rubbish. How is it that an ASC doesn't know what fluid a car's gearbox takes in? If they had to fill in fluid in an unlikely event of a leakage, what would they do?

I genuinely think you should take this up with Toyota once.
It is nonsense of course. I was quite shocked when they asked me which grade of ATF as per manual. However, the SA did mention there were some 6/7 oils of different grades. Just goes to show how non standard this ATF replacement is.

Will escalate to Toyota if i dont get the resolution at the ASC.

Meanwhile i managed to find some details on the Toyota app. Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")-screenshot_2023012118390182_5a9fb28a14ef6c923fc3463d362f3602.jpg
Old 23rd January 2023, 09:41   #54
BHPian

Quote:
However, the SA did mention there were some 6/7 oils of different grades.

Will escalate to Toyota if i dont get the resolution at the ASC.
Toyota has only 2 types CVT oils not 6/7, maybe SA was including all gear oils. Your corolla will take CVT-TC oil with TC being the grade, not to be confused with Torque Converter.

Make sure they show you the packing before oil change as using oil meant for Torque Converters can and will damage CVT.
Also check if your transmission has a filter, it may also require replacement. I am not sure if CVTs have filter or not,
Torque Converters do have them.

This video should be able to clear all doubts.

Regarding escalation, contact Toyota through WhatsApp rather than e-mail as I've gotten quicker response from Toyota and Dealership through WhatsApp feedback/complaint. I feel like they don't check their emails If they ask you, what do you want to register this query as tell them complaint not feedback or request.
Their official WhatsApp number is +914071781588.

Good luck with your Oil Change.

Last edited by Stolidus500 : 23rd January 2023 at 09:44. Reason: Added link to YouTube video.
Stolidus500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 12:23   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone... He hesitantly obliged but now the ASC is asking me for the exact grade/number of the oil for replacing. They have also conveyed to me that replacing the CVT oil will take 5 days. My SA has made it very clear that the CVT oil replacement is not listed in their routine service and will be done on customer request at customers risk only, with no warranty whatsoever.

...The SA promised to find the details from his end but it doesnt sound too confident...
Collect your car from this incompetent "ASC" and write Toyota a stinker of an e-mail.

Stolidus500 has shared a the video by a brilliant Toyota Mechanic, refer that but IMHO go to another ASC only (preferably a larger established one), so you can get this done from someone experienced (& who's probably not going to refer to YouTube videos) on what ATF to use & how it's replaced.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 23rd January 2023 at 12:26.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 17:55   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Finally got my ATF changed for Hyundai Verna 1.6 Diesel 6 Speed AT at Hyundai. Called up and asked specifically for ATF change, they obliged and asked to bring the car next day, Rama Hyundai, Okhla, Delhi.

Cost per liter was ₹1,992 on the cans, they brought 7 of them and all of them were used completely.

Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")-atf.jpg

The old oil was not in good condition, car has run 61,000kms mostly in Delhi NCR traffic, when they drain the ATF you can see the plug, it is magnetic and has metal shavings stuck to it. They were not a lot but were there stuck to the plug.

Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")-old-oil.jpg

The change in gear shifts after ATF change was immediate, shifts are quicker, smoother and gearbox doesn't feel lethargic like it was feeling before.

Labor for ATF change is also expensive around ₹3-4,000.

I would advise others to also get it done basis the condition of your gearbox, the service center would never ask you to change it, I think on the manual also it is written as "Inspect" at 100,000kms.
yogiii is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 10:56   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolidus500 View Post
Toyota has only 2 types CVT oils not 6/7, maybe SA was including all gear oils. Your corolla will take CVT-TC oil with TC being the grade, not to be confused with Torque Converter.

This video should be able to clear all doubts.

Good luck with your Oil Change.
Thanks a lot for that informative video. I noticed that the video mentions CVT FE fluid for most toyotas from 2014 onwards. The new Altis was launched in 2014. I guess it may not be the same for the previous gen Altis.

The SA has placed the same fluid for order on my behalf. Since i was not fully convinced, i escalated to Toyota and was recommended the same. According to them, the CVT TC fluid can be ordered through https://www.toyotapartsconnect.in/

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Collect your car from this incompetent "ASC" and write Toyota a stinker of an e-mail.
The ASC in question is Harsha Toyota, Kondapur branch which is among the biggest ASC in the city. I have had a good experience for servicing and body work with them for the past 4 years and would not say they are incompetent. To be fair, the SA was rather clueluess but quite responsive to my queries, which i appreciated.

Will be giving an update once the much-awaited ATF change is completed !
Old 29th January 2023, 13:14   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
Finally got my ATF changed for Hyundai Verna 1.6 Diesel 6 Speed AT at Hyundai. .
Thank you for this update! Mine is the exact same model, and it has currently run 53000kms. I'll call up Hyundai A.S.S. and enquire if they have this SP-IV ATF.
Old 8th February 2023, 12:33   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
One of the first things I did after buying my Mini Cooper (pre-owned) was to change the ATF. Because the car was 7.5 years old and had run nearly 34000kms. BMW India will not support all this. They keep banging on about a Lifetime Fluid.
Its a fiddly job. But it is worth it. So I did it. And the car is happier for it, I am sure. I know I am happier having done it.
Sir, thank you for sharing your experiences with the Mini. One of my friend recently bought a Cooper S (similar vintage as yours), and he was wondering if he should get the ATF changed as well. Please advise where you got this work done in Bangalore. You can DM if you wish. Thank you.

Last edited by kiredd1005 : 8th February 2023 at 12:48.
Old 8th February 2023, 13:34   #60
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiredd1005 View Post
Sir, thank you for sharing your experiences with the Mini. One of my friend recently bought a Cooper S (similar vintage as yours), and he was wondering if he should get the ATF changed as well. Please advise where you got this work done in Bangalore. You can DM if you wish. Thank you.
Hi.
I would do it. The ATF will very likely be somewhat black if your car, like mine, is more than 7 years old and has done maybe 35000kms or more.
Its quite a clear and simple job. But a bit fiddly.
First source 6 litres of JWS3309 ATF fluid from BMW.
Then get the transmission fluid filter and magnets and gasket kits from Pelican Parts or Mini Mania USA.
www.pelicanparts.com
www.minimania.com
Because our Bada Sahebs in BMW India will simply not supply these child parts. And they will only keep talking rot about how this is a lifetime fluid and all that nonsense.
Go and meet Aniruddh of Aeon Motor Works. (099457 18181) located in Electronic City (left turn after Continental Tyres giant building and then the second right turn or so, 300 yards down that road).
Talk to him and Umesh his Chief Mechanic. Mention me if you want. Fix a date and time with them. Raise the car on the two post lift, drain the entire ATF.
Remove the filter. Replace it and refill with fresh nice clean JWS3309. This bit is a little fiddly. But all it takes is patience and deftness. If I have time I ll gladly help you supervise.

See pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")-d6731e3e192148a69d8d3fe052179655.jpeg  

Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")-5013056bf9ec4af4814d69825ad9763a.jpeg  

Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")-fbbfab1ec56546ffa5b54cbe081db6e9.jpeg  

Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")-f02eb54e12f24fe1beb9199be34d7881.jpeg  

Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")-3c33bb0c4be441b592d79aea1fbcb1ea.jpeg  

Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")-922861c40ed44ca88fb5034bdfd26a55.jpeg  

Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")-64363f7e84254909b92342b9f6ab08f0.jpeg  

Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")-4a4e756be3234bfba852e57229c84621.jpeg  

Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")-dfe2c7065cba4efd894f4399e1d220e2.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks