Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2022, 10:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
Have you gone ahead with ATF change for your Verna?
Does it mean I should go for ATF change, my car has run almost 60k primarily in Delhi NCR traffic. Or it can be something else?
I have not yet gone ahead with it. I have zeroed in on Mannol SP-III ATF. I have to get it from Amazon and then I need to find an FNG to get it changed.

The gear shift troubles you have detailed in your post sound like something else, though I am not sure. In my car, the shifting behavior has not changed yet, it is happening in the same way as it used to happen when the car was new.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 10:42   #32
BHPian

Re: Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I have not yet gone ahead with it. I have zeroed in on Mannol SP-III ATF. I have to get it from Amazon and then I need to find an FNG to get it changed.
Any specific reason for not going ahead with Hyundai specified ATF?

Or is it "almost" impossible to source?
Old 25th December 2022, 10:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any specific reason for not going ahead with Hyundai specified ATF?
Or is it "almost" impossible to source?
What we actually need, is impossible to source

Finding this trend with everything that I am looking for - was searching for a Li-Po battery of a specific capacity and some RC hobby parts, and found that none of the items that I need are available anymore. Everything else is.

Same case with Hyundai Genuine ATF. One more reason:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4640789 (Hyundai India, unreasonable long term maintenance and service practices!)

As per this post, Hyundai uses a cheaper alternative called MX4 in Indian cars. So, I don't want to go for MX4 even if it is available. I'll try to source SP3 (or SP4, after more study).
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 12:41   #34
BHPian

Quote:

Does it mean I should go for ATF change, my car has run almost 60k primarily in Delhi NCR traffic. Or it can be something else?
I own a 2013 i20 AT and I'm assuming it's the same 4 speed gearbox as yours. I replaced the fluid on mine a year or two back, and I used Motul Multi ATF(ifrc it's compatible with Hyundai SP3). Did this just as a preventive measure, gb has been working fine since(not that there was anything wrong to begin with).

For your issues, I suggest you get the fluid changed regardless since vehicle has already ran 60k. I will probably cost you just as much as an engine oil change would, wouldn't hurt to give this a shot.
MotoBlip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 12:42   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll try to source SP3 (or SP4, after more study).
I was doing some more research on what ATF spec to use. What I learned:

1) Hyundai does not recommend mixing SP3 with SP4.

Reference: https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threa...-fluid.157194/
(Look at the last page of the pdf document attached in this thread)

2) I still need to find out what is the present spec in my AT box (Verna 1.6D 6-Speed AT). Hyundai website says ATF MX4, and as per this post in team-bhp,

Quote:
Note that, Hyundai ATF MX4 is just a low-cost version of the original ATF (HYUNDAI GENUINE ATF SP-III) which they used to have in their automatic models prior to 2011. Since mine was a 2009 model, I got this factory-filled.
it is nothing but SP3. However, the post is talking about models prior to 2011 with a 4S tranny. Mine is a 2017 September model (NextGen) and thus, I am still not sure.

So the question is still open - What is the ATF spec for the 6-Speed AT boxes of recent Hyundai cars such as the Nextgen Verna & Creta manufactured from the year 2017 second half?

Last edited by clevermax : 25th December 2022 at 12:51.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 13:55   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was doing some more research on what ATF spec to use. What I learned:

1) Hyundai does not recommend mixing SP3 with SP4.

2) I still need to find out what is the present spec in my AT box (Verna 1.6D 6-Speed AT). Hyundai website says ATF MX4, and as per this post in team-bhp,

it is nothing but SP3. However, the post is talking about models prior to 2011 with a 4S tranny. Mine is a 2017 September model (NextGen) and thus, I am still not sure.

So the question is still open - What is the ATF spec for the 6-Speed AT boxes of recent Hyundai cars such as the Nextgen Verna & Creta manufactured from the year 2017 second half?
SP4 is not backwards compatible with SP3 is what most resources say, including OEM. SP4 is lighter in viscosity compared to the SP3 and sort of similar to what Toyota did when they shifted from TypeIV to the lighter WS.

MX4 and SP3 meets JWS3314 spec which the SP4 does not. So it should be OK to replace MX4 with SP3 fluids from OEM or aftermarket. Choose an aftermarket oil that meets very specific OEM or JWS specs. I would prefer Mobil/Amsoil/Liquimoly or similar name brand that meet the specs or source OEM fluid from dealer which they can procure against advance order.

Edit: For the 6 speed boxes you need the SP4 fluid. This is similar to the Toyota WS grade and in aftermarket applications both are cross compatible.

Edit 2: Based on two Toyota TSB's the Toyota WS fluid has an inspection interval at 100000miles (160000Kms) and does not ask for fluid change. The TSB is applicable for several Toyota models using the WS fluid with transmissions and transaxles. If the SP4 fluid is similar to WS do expect a very long life for the SP4 fluid, irrespective of its colour.

Edit3: Its confusing to post when two threads are running on the same topic which should have been merged long back

Last edited by Sankar : 25th December 2022 at 14:24.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 14:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
The second point which I have often come across is to not flush or change the oil on a very old TC where the oil has never been changed before for very long. Just like an engine, sometimes the crud and the old oil deposits are what stops the torque converter from slipping and holds it together.
What exactly is very old TC? Mine has run almost 115k with no change in 5 years. Do you think it is better to change now or to leave it as it is?
Old 25th December 2022, 15:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
MX4 and SP3 meets JWS3314 spec which the SP4 does not. So it should be OK to replace MX4 with SP3 fluids from OEM or aftermarket.

Edit: For the 6 speed boxes you need the SP4 fluid. This is similar to the Toyota WS grade and in aftermarket applications both are cross compatible.
Thanks. I assumed it is MX4 since I saw it on their website for Creta 1.6. There was no spec mentioned for the Verna 1.6D post-2017 6-Speed model.

Yes, mine is a 6-Speed box. So it may be SP4's spec.
Old 25th December 2022, 16:48   #39
BHPian

Quote:
What is the ATF spec for the 6-Speed AT boxes of recent Hyundai cars
Just FYI, KIA Sonet and Seltos' manuals mention "ATF SP-IV" grade. Assuming Hyundai and Kia share gearboxes and fluids as well along with their engines.
Torq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 16:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Just FYI, KIA Sonet and Seltos' manuals mention "ATF SP-IV" grade. Assuming Hyundai and Kia share gearboxes and fluids as well along with their engines.
Thank you! This reaffirms that it is SP4! Going to order it from Amazon. SP4 is slightly more expensive than SP3. Mannol SP4 is INR 8000 for 4 liters.
Old 25th December 2022, 17:30   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
BMW India will not support all this. They keep banging on about a Lifetime Fluid. This is absolute balderdash.
This is true of all car manufacturers but on the contrary most transmission manufacturers actually suggest changing ATF fluid at periodic intervals like 8 years or 1,00,000 km etc.

Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")-zf-service.png
Screenshot of ZF's maintenance recommendations
Quadrant55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 18:07   #42
BHPian

In 2019 I bought a 2006 Honda Odyssey. It required a fair bit of maintenance to make it drivable for the next few years. By then it had run about 131000 miles (about 2,10,000 kms). Amongst the things i did was change the ATF fluid back then. It was a simple drain and fill. I think it had a filter too but very few people knew it even existed . 10k miles later i changed the ATF again - drain and fill. 10k miles later again for the third time changed the ATF - drain and fill. After this i drove for few thousands and emigrated and hence had to dispose the car.

The car came with 5 speed Automatic. The transmission became smoother and was the smoothest at 151K and never felt like the car had driven 151k miles. The aim was to make the ATF in the transmission as close to clean as possible without doing a flush. The new owner still enjoys the vehicle and its smooth transmission.

A flush at 131k miles (and any high mileage transmissions) was not recommended since it was never changed until then. It could possibly make the transmission slip.

I intend to the same for my current XL6 4 speed Auto as well. The service center does not seem to know how to do it and quote the same story as sealed for life etc etx.

I wish there was access to XL6 service manuals. This way i could just buy the parts and do it at a FNG.

Last edited by TorqMaster : 25th December 2022 at 18:10.
TorqMaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 18:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

If you changed ATF too late and the TC Automatic is already slipping and you're told by ASC that it needs to be rebuilt/replaced, many FNGs recommend trying Lucas Transmission Fix.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 25th December 2022 at 19:02.
GrammarNazi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 20:49   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! This reaffirms that it is SP4! Going to order it from Amazon. SP4 is slightly more expensive than SP3. Mannol SP4 is INR 8000 for 4 liters.
This is from my Creta owner’s manual (it’s a 2021 model, 1.5 litre 6 speed AT diesel)
Attached Thumbnails
Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")-f8b6641b0e1b43e0a6eaeb1488c39339.jpeg  

Dhananjay_Desai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 23:26   #45
BHPian

Quote:
What is the ATF spec for the 6-Speed AT boxes of recent Hyundai cars such as the Nextgen Verna & Creta manufactured from the year 2017 second half?[/b]
I have a Kia Seltos Diesel Automatic & the manual says ATF is SAE 70W API GL-4 TGO-9 Grade
Infact this grade is standard across all seltos variants, petrol or diesel, manual or auto, even iMT

Any idea if ATF SAE 70W API GL-4 TGO-9 grade is easily available in India

Attaching the owners manual screenshot too
Attached Thumbnails
Why you should periodically change your Automatic Transmission Fluid (even if "sealed for life")-527e4a14a89e447aa5cde0e692c78021.jpeg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks