Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2007, 11:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
I know for sure I need to get used to the engine not revving as much. The need to keep the pot on the boil as far as the torque band is concerned (This one left me frustated in a friends TCIC 4x4 Safari on the open road, cos on top gear at 50-60 the speeds would continue to drop even if I maintained the same pressure on the throttle peddle). What was I doing wrong ? A car should cruise at 50-60 kmph at 5th gear right, or does the safari gear box only cruise on 5th above say 70-80 kmph.
Short power band means you have to shift down. That said, the latest software upgrade seems to make the vehicle pull from about 45 kmph onwards in 5th - I'd still recommend a shift to 5th at about 60-70, though.

The trick is to stay on 3rd in the city, stay on 4th on a moderately crowded highway, and to shift to 5th once you get the open road.
Old 15th June 2007, 12:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

Oh, this is news to me. Actually never cruised on 5th at 50-60Kmph. For me the word cruise means 80+. Have always applied the 5th when the speedo crossed 75. So can't comment..

Quote:
Wow,..this is quite a revelation !! These were things I knew theoratically but having it ratified by a knowledgable bunch such as you guys was priceless !! Probably saved me a lot of future heart burn (& I mean that literally).

I know for sure I need to get used to the engine not revving as much. The need to keep the pot on the boil as far as the torque band is concerned (This one left me frustated in a friends TCIC 4x4 Safari on the open road, cos on top gear at 50-60 the speeds would continue to drop even if I maintained the same pressure on the throttle peddle). What was I doing wrong ? A car should cruise at 50-60 kmph at 5th gear right, or does the safari gear box only cruise on 5th above say 70-80 kmph.
Old 15th June 2007, 12:36   #33
BHPian

GD1418, While driving from GGN to DEL on NH8, I would sanely cruise at 60 kmph within city limits, so that I dont get pinged (speed trapped). No point staying in 4th all the way, when the road is open right ?!!
Old 15th June 2007, 13:03   #34
Senior - BHPian

Yes even I can say that the safari just about manages 50kmph in 5th, although its not really comfortable doing that...thats why 5th comes after 65kmph for me.

Drifter
Old 15th June 2007, 14:00   #35
Team-BHP Support

I have driven the safari quite a bit, and non lotus suspension scorpio.
My obervations
1. You do not have to try hard to topple any of them. Yank the steering on a bumpy road and you go sideways, and your door mirrors feel as if they are touching the ground. These are high GC vehicles and not meant to be thrown around corners
2. Keep speeds normal. i.e. lets say you take a turn in a sedan at 40kmph without squeeling the wheels, you will be able to do that in both of these
3. Turns where you can slide into a turn at 60, you can't do in these. Unless its gravel or dust, I wouldn't recommend turning hard.
4. Coming to straight line stability. Hit a bump at high speed, the safari jiggles a bit, the scorpio looks as if it will loose it. Results unpredictable
5. Straight road at 100, a Volvo doing 100 passes, you the safari will feel a little vibration, the scorpio scares you.
6. From a point of straight line stability safari wins
7. Want to chuck around the city taking sharp turns, scorpio it is. Safari is an elephant, scorpio is agile at city speeds and you can drive like a car. But then its a small SUV with lesser space than an indica if you discount the boot.

I have heard that lotus scorpio is better, but don't have much idea about realities.
Also please do not confuse maneuverability with handling. An autorickshaw is more maneuverable than a Honda Accord, it does not mean that an autorickshaw handles better than a Honda accord.
Old 15th June 2007, 17:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Oh, now I get the idea about speed dropping when cruising at 60 on 5th. You see, basically ina Safari the 5th is meant to come after 70+ coz as I mentioned, it is an out and out highway machine.

Now, whe you are sedately cruising at 60 kph on 5th on NH8, it is ok as long as you are ona flat stretch. But the moment you start a climb on the numerous flyovers, the engine demands more power. Remember it is a 2 tonner. So, you can't just floor the pedal on 5th and gain speed. For that you have to downshift.

But if you are doing 70+ on 5th and hit the gradient, pushing the pedal further down will give enough power to hurl the truck over the flyover. Sedate cruising at 60 on 5th is a no-no for a Safari..

Quote:
GD1418, While driving from GGN to DEL on NH8, I would sanely cruise at 60 kmph within city limits, so that I dont get pinged (speed trapped). No point staying in 4th all the way, when the road is open right ?!!
Old 15th June 2007, 17:12   #37
Team-BHP Support

My uncle shifts to 5th gear around 50 always, and drives very sedately, he gets around 12-14kmpl in city on his Safari LX 4x2
Old 15th June 2007, 17:37   #38
BHPian

12-14 km in city limits, I remember many Pround owners has reported around 9.5 -9.8 in city limits
Old 15th June 2007, 18:16   #39
Team-BHP Support

Well his driving style is unique. Before he converted to safari he used to get the same mileage from a 1st gen Palio 1.2. Sometimes it would give 15 in city.Now that Palio does LPG, and he says its so cheap to run he does not care about mileage any more.

His driving style is sedate
1. He never accelerates hard.
2. Pedal is never floored, but gradually pressed till speed increases
3. Tries to be in 5th gear as much as possible, and shifts into 4th at 35-40.
Old 16th June 2007, 00:56   #40
BHPian

Quote:
While driving from GGN to DEL on NH8, I would sanely cruise at 60 kmph within city limits, so that I dont get pinged (speed trapped)
I never found any speed trap on that highway. I have travelled that road for 4 yrs as my college was near Delhi Ggn border.

Drove a Dicor recently and it was an absolute fun to drive. You can reach high speeds easily. Glides over potholes on Delhi-Rohatak road. I shift to 5th gear around 70. Max I have taken it to is 140 km/hr, reached there pretty quickly considering its size. Haven't drove a Scorpio yet, but once sat on its last seat. It was bad experience, ride was bumpy, almost similar to sitting in gypsy's last seat. Safari fared better in ride quality ( even last row seats). Best part riding in SUV like safari is that you see those private bus drivers almost directly and no chance of getting intimidated by the size of their vehicles.
Old 16th June 2007, 03:23   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

As SUV's have high COG and are heavy this makes them inferior handlers compared to cars,the most important thing to remember when driving a SUV is try to avoid sharp inputs be it steering or brakes unlike cars which can handle sharp inputs SUV 's have a tendency to roll.SUV's are quite stable at speeds in straight line but i would recommend high speed cornering on them
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Only one or two have toppled out of the thousands of scorpios sold. I havent felt that the Scorpio has any stability issues.

I am not saying the Scorpio handles well. But driven without any violent manuevours, the scorpio does just fine.
Visit your local scorpio bodyshop and you will know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat View Post
"Are heavier SUV's (2tons & above) really capable off roading (Or only comfy cruisers)."

Most of them (Safari, Bolero, Scorpio) are comfy cruisers with average off road capability. If you are looking at a big, easy to drive/safe family car you have other options like Innova, the off road capability is a question? Which I guess our team members with Innova can answer.

Hellcat.
But innova is not a SUV.Safari and Scorpio are decent offroaders not as brilliant as pajero or rangerover but they do their job

Quote:
Ive seen speedtraps in Gurgaon on expressway beware of white and blue versa.
Old 16th June 2007, 11:35   #42
BHPian

@anshuman : "UV's are quite stable at speeds in straight line but i would recommend high speed cornering on them"

First of all do check what you post, second before finding any flaw's in others post read them carefully. I have never mentioned Innova as a SUV in my Post, and I know that Innova doesn’t fall in the SUV Category. Please do read the my post again.

”Safari and Scorpio are decent offroaders not as brilliant as pajero or rangerover but they do their job.”

Guess I had the same opinion on the Safari and the Scorpio.

Hellcat
Old 16th June 2007, 12:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

Okay now to put all the posts in one short line.

When switching from a sedan to SUV -

"Slow everything down and feel like God! - Tata Safari"

PS: I've completed 300kms on the current tankful with 3/4th still remaining, i know we cant really judge the FE at this point, but im expecting good results. Driven mostly in Bombay city limits with 50kms on eastern express highway.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 16th June 2007 at 12:44.
Old 18th June 2007, 16:20   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
4x4 would help a lot here
You can cruise at 100kmph easily on Safari.
Since I have 4x4 on mine, I assume everybody has it as well. Not a good assumption to make.

Cruising at 100 is something the Safari was made for. It feels so natural at that speed on the highway.
Old 18th June 2007, 16:29   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Is wheel locking up into hard braking a cause for concern in the safari. Especially in the wet. Considering that it doesn't really have ABS.

How has your ownership experience been with the safari. I mean build quality. Has any rattles or shakes crept in. Does the overall car feel stiff and tightly bound together while over bad roads
Just clocked 1100 km over the weekend, so I'll make my experience 4 1/2 months and 12500 km

The wheels do lock up under panic braking - which is why I mentioned the bit about getting used to the braking. As you use the vehicle more, you learn how to work the brakes to full potential.

I've not experienced any issues with build quality or rattles so far. The leather around the gear lever squeaks at times but that's about it.

On the gear shifting topic, I shift up at 2000 rpm and shift down at 1000 rpm in the city. Which means I'm in 3rd gear almost all the time in the city. On the highway, the downshift rpm remains the same while the upshift point changes to 2500 rpm. 3000 rpm if I'm in the mood.

BTW, saw 150 kph on the speedo yesterday and held it for a while but then the road curved ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks