Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2007, 14:37   #1
BHPian

How to transition to an SUV !?

Having owned and regularly driven only petrol cars for the last 10 yrs, what should one keep in mind while transitioning to a typically top heavy diesel SUV. This question stems from the post about the toppled over Lotus re-engineered Scorpio. I have driven SUV's such as the Gypsy King, Safari, & the Pajero albiet only breifly ! Definetly not enough to explore all the strenghths and weaknesses.

I am sure Team-bhpians owning SUVs for longer periods could contribute greatly towards the safety of hoards others, who like me are considering a shift from a nimble small car (Hatch/Sedan) to a big SUV for reasons of space and the need to ride over roads that are really really tough on a conventional car. (Both due to GC and 4x4 prowess).

Points that could contribute towards safety could be (but not limited to)
1) Safe max Highway speeds in India for an SUV.
2) Speeds for safer cornering.
3) Making switch-backs maneuver, (whether possible in an SUV).
4) Handling Bridging Ramps at certain freeway bridges.(read sudden elevation and decline, a car would normally get a few inches air borne).
5) Max angle of horizontal tilt while negotiating a hill ( Angle beyond which the SUV could loose traction or topple sideways).
6) Are heavier SUV's (2tons & above) really capable off roading (Or only comfy cruisers).

Thanks a ton in advance, that Last thing I want to do is put my family at harms way due to a stupid or illogical maneuver cos I wasn't aware.

Cheers Motor Dudes !!
Old 14th June 2007, 15:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Which SUV do you have in mind/ buying/ already own.

People can be more specific then.
Old 14th June 2007, 16:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey Torque..

Scorpio is dangerous at high speeds and at cornering, so i wont suggest it. i know couple who own and they are not happy with it.

If you are looking at a vehicle which could be used for offroadig aswel, you can try Gurkha or Judo. Also you can give a thought to Bolero this is one tuff machine.

SUV's like Scorpio, Safari, CRV have low ground clearnece, which makes offroading diificult. also they are lengthier.
Old 14th June 2007, 16:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
SUV's like Scorpio, Safari, CRV have low ground clearnece, which makes offroading diificult. also they are lengthier.
Huh? Any figures to back this up, low compared to.....?
Old 14th June 2007, 16:47   #5
BHPian

"Are heavier SUV's (2tons & above) really capable off roading (Or only comfy cruisers)."

Most of them (Safari, Bolero, Scorpio) are comfy cruisers with average off road capability. If you are looking at a big, easy to drive/safe family car you have other options like Innova, the off road capability is a question? Which I guess our team members with Innova can answer.

Hellcat.
Old 14th June 2007, 17:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Says who? Ask all of those Scorpions who are on the road. Opinion of one owner is not the benchmark.

I've off-roaded a bit in my Safari. Low ground clearence was never the issue.

FYI, Bolero & Scorpio have the same ground clearence.

Quote:
Hey Torque..

Scorpio is dangerous at high speeds and at cornering, so i wont suggest it. i know couple who own and they are not happy with it.

If you are looking at a vehicle which could be used for offroadig aswel, you can try Gurkha or Judo. Also you can give a thought to Bolero this is one tuff machine.

Old 14th June 2007, 17:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

One off mishap due to faulty driving should not be the basis of an opinion or preset mind. There are much more similar incidents involving most of the cars somewhere or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Having owned and regularly driven only petrol cars for the last 10 yrs, what should one keep in mind while transitioning to a typically top heavy diesel SUV. This question stems from the post about the toppled over Lotus re-engineered Scorpio. I have driven SUV's such as the Gypsy King, Safari, & the Pajero albiet only breifly ! Definetly not enough to explore all the strenghths and weaknesses.

I am sure Team-bhpians owning SUVs for longer periods could contribute greatly towards the safety of hoards others, who like me are considering a shift from a nimble small car (Hatch/Sedan) to a big SUV for reasons of space and the need to ride over roads that are really really tough on a conventional car. (Both due to GC and 4x4 prowess).

4) Handling Bridging Ramps at certain freeway bridges.(read sudden elevation and decline, a car would normally get a few inches air borne).
5) Max angle of horizontal tilt while negotiating a hill ( Angle beyond which the SUV could loose traction or topple sideways).
6) Are heavier SUV's (2tons & above) really capable off roading (Or only comfy cruisers).

Thanks a ton in advance, that Last thing I want to do is put my family at harms way due to a stupid or illogical maneuver cos I wasn't aware.

Cheers Motor Dudes !!
Old 14th June 2007, 17:13   #8
BHPian

Law of driving dynamics

[quote=dadu;468381]Which SUV do you have in mind/ buying/ already own.

People can be more specific then.[/quote

The question is more related to the dynamics of driving a standard SUV.
I understand some SUV's handle (Corner) better than others, owing primarly to better ride & handling compromise !

However I am sure there is a general law of dynamics which is a lot different as compared to cars with the way they behave under heavy braking, cornering & getting air borne (no pun intended).

Like I said I would like Tbhpians owning SUVs to share their 2 pence of advice,..lest someone like me with no ideal try something as stupid as a hand break turn on the wet . Cos I have no clue how the SUV would behave.
Old 14th June 2007, 17:22   #9
BHPian

Proof of the pudding is in the eating

Quote:
Hey Torque..
Scorpio is dangerous at high speeds and at cornering, so i wont suggest it. i know couple who own and they are not happy with it.If you are looking at a vehicle which could be used for offroadig aswel, you can try Gurkha or Judo. Also you can give a thought to Bolero this is one tuff machine.SUV's like Scorpio, Safari, CRV have low ground clearnece, which makes offroading diificult. also they are lengthier.
lohithrao,.....do you own or drive an any of these vehicles you have commented on. I think its is important to understand these facts from someone who has been thru the grind cos ""the proof of the pudding is in the eating""

Do not mean to be rude,..but seriously I need advice from people who have been there and done that !!

Thanks for the advice
Old 14th June 2007, 17:28   #10
Team-BHP Support

Only one or two have toppled out of the thousands of scorpios sold. I havent felt that the Scorpio has any stability issues.

I am not saying the Scorpio handles well. But driven without any violent manuevours, the scorpio does just fine.
Old 14th June 2007, 17:31   #11
BHPian

No stereo types please !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
One off mishap due to faulty driving should not be the basis of an opinion or preset mind. There are much more similar incidents involving most of the cars somewhere or the other.

Dude,..This thread is not about Scorpio bashing. It is sincierly about learning to handle the power, and get a hand off driving an SUV rather well.

What does it take to get a few genuine answers !!
Old 14th June 2007, 18:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

@Torque: Sorry i dont own or drive any of the vehicles on which i have commented above. but the suggestion which i gave was not my assumption, it is what i have heard from the people who do "serious" touring and offroading thats what i passed it on. thought it might help you.
anyways sorry for that.

@gd1418: This is what i meant by offroading(Please have a look at the pictures(link) below)
ImageShack - Hosting :: 42855907wq8.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 99696594gn2.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: 67297047wz7.jpg

Can Scorpio/Safari/CRV do this kind of offroading? i dont know since i havent tried.

Last edited by lohithrao : 14th June 2007 at 18:41. Reason: Changed the sentence a bit.
Old 14th June 2007, 18:37   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Welcome to the world of SUVs!

First, an SUV is not a car and is not meant to be driven like one. I would recommend taking it slow and easy until you get used to the size, engine response, handling and the braking.

After 4 1/2 months and 11400 km in the Safari,

1. I stick to 120 kph max. with occasional forays to 130 - 140 kph. Be prepared for surprises in the braking section until you get used to the braking.
2. Take it real easy here until you get used to the roll. Depends on the corner really.
3. Same as above.
4. 80 kph max. so that you prevent the SUV being airborne.
5. Haven't pushed my luck here
6. The Safari is capable of some real off roading though not in the same league as jeeps.

Last edited by dicorex4x4 : 14th June 2007 at 18:38. Reason: Spelling
Old 14th June 2007, 18:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicorex4x4 View Post
6. The Safari is capable of some real off roading though not in the same league as jeeps.
4x4 would help a lot here

Heard that the new Safari gonna be 2500cc instead of 2.2!

You can cruise at 100kmph easily on Safari.
Old 14th June 2007, 18:43   #15
BHPian

Thanks Dicore, thats the kind of feedback I was looking for. Is wheel locking up into hard braking a cause for concern in the safari. Especially in the wet. Considering that it doesn't really have ABS.

How has your ownership experience been with the safari. I mean build quality. Has any rattles or shakes crept in. Does the overall car feel stiff and tightly bound together while over bad roads

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks