Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 11:40   #16
BHPian

Ride-on!

Hi Guys

Just came across a leaflet which says - Ride-on the protective system.

I drive on tubeless tyres, but dont know if one should try this so called revolutionary product?

Experts, do comment.

Thakor Drive-on
Shani International Corporation

Saildrive

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th December 2008 at 12:14. Reason: Search please
Old 20th April 2011, 15:42   #17
BHPian

Re: Ultraseal tyre sealant- does it work?

Guys - Came across another similar product called Tyreprotector (www.tyreprotector.com).
Claims to ba a similar compound as the ones listed earlier in the thread, as those are a few month old; just wanted to check if similar products have worked for anyone? Also, has anyone heard of this brand and used it?
I'm thinking of getting this done today, since i've planned a trip from Hyd to Coorg and I guess will be a good test of the product atleast as far as it's effects on driving under various road conditions are concerned.
Will keep you guys posted once I'm back.
In the mean while, if anyone's used this or a similar product; would appritiate a feedback.
Cheers!!
Old 22nd April 2011, 07:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabby-069 View Post
In the mean while, if anyone's used this or a similar product; would appritiate a feedback.
Cheers!!
Do look at my post #9 on this thread.
Old 9th May 2011, 15:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabby-069 View Post
Guys - Came across another similar product called Tyreprotector (www.tyreprotector.com).
Claims to ba a similar compound as the ones listed earlier in the thread, as those are a few month old; just wanted to check if similar products have worked for anyone? Also, has anyone heard of this brand and used it?
I'm thinking of getting this done today, since i've planned a trip from Hyd to Coorg and I guess will be a good test of the product atleast as far as it's effects on driving under various road conditions are concerned.
Will keep you guys posted once I'm back.
Cheers!!
I did put the 'tyreprotector' for my Coorg trip; the results were astonishing - a mojor wobble due to the unbalanced wheels started at 100kmph all the wat till 120kmph; post which the wobble was less but you could feel the strain in your arms. And the drive was very harsh.
The first thing i did after coming back from the 2000 km trip was to get the slime/get removed and also got the balancing & alignment done - I did go for a speed run on the ORR in hyderabad post the needful was done - thankfully everything is back to normal.

I used the word 'astonoshing' earlier; here's why - When i took the car for the removal of the slime/gel, there were two 3" nails in by right rear tyre!!! The slime/get did hold up well, and there was no unusual loss on pressure in the tyre.
The Gel does serve it's purpose, at the cost of a smooth ride; and yes, you do waste a lot of travelling time due to the slow speeds you have to maintain (vis-a-vis loosing time due to a puncture).
There's the pros and cons of the slime/gel; from my perspective.

Last edited by Sabby-069 : 9th May 2011 at 15:38.
Old 9th May 2011, 15:51   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Going by your feedback Sabby, I dont think its worth it at all.

My usual simple check before a long trip :-

1. Check air pressure for all 5 tyres and keep 2psi over the normal

2. Check for stones and nails whilst doing the above and this visual check is repeated before embarking on the journey

3. While on the highway, i avoid going off the road deliberately as some aggressive drivers do to overtake etc. Also, slow down considerably during bad patches as well

Above simple measures always has ensured my highway trip is smooth and very less probability of a puncture during the same.
Old 9th January 2012, 16:05   #21
BHPian

Guys,

Does SLIME mess up tyretronics (or TPMS)? Also, any impact on the tyre warranty?
Old 2nd February 2012, 18:25   #22
BHPian

I agree with MOBIKE008. Using of any product does not substiute the basic checks outlined in his post. There is no substitute to basic precautions and standby precautions like do it yourself kit, spare tyre, and equipment should be available with us during a long road journey.

I have been using a product named "Tyre Sealant" which is being sold in Mumbai by a company known as "Biolife Impex Pvt. Ltd." Their head office is at Borivali. They also seem to have an office in Delhi. It is for tubeless tyres only. For Innova, the dosage of the liquid sealant is 350ml per tyre and the cost of one 500ml bottle is 355/-. Therefore, they use three bottles for the four tyres and the cost is Rs. 1065/- per vehicle. They also in addition charge Rs. 200/- for delivery and installation charges extra, if one requires in Mumbai.

The procedure is they deflate the tyre completely and through the tyre valve, the fluid is inserted through a pump via the valve stem. The tyre valve is positioned at 4' Oclock. Thereafter the tyre is inflated to normal level and immediately one is required to drive for at least 15km at a speed not exceeding 50kmph. If nail is removed after a journey, one is required to drive for at least 2 kms at a speed not exceeding 50kmph.

So far I have no complaints. No punctures. Nails have been removed without significant loss of tyre pressure.

I also keep a standby pump for air fill. Have been using nitro fill instead of normal air for long drives. ( Have once driven from Bangalore to Mumbai - 1009 kms - non-stop for 17 hrs with break stops for two and half hours. There was a puncture and yet the drop was of 2psi only in the affected tyre. Instead of 34psi it fell to 32psi). During refil of air, the tyre value should be positioned at 12noon position (top side) instead of say between 4 and 8 O'clock position (bottom/lower side) so that the liquid does not flow out.

They give a 3 year guarantee but they say that this guarantee is not applicable if the sharp object goes from the side of the tyre or if there is a tyre burst or if the car hits a heavy object. And this guarantee is to repair punctures upto ond-fourth inch diameter in the thread area of the tyre only. Details are available from their website Tyre Puncture Sealant India,Tyre Sealant Manufacturers,Tyre Care Sealant Manufacturers,Tyre Sealant Distributors,Tyre Puncture Solutions Wholesalers,Tyre Sealant India,Tire Sealant India

Last edited by INNOWAGON_CL : 2nd February 2012 at 18:45.
Old 4th February 2012, 12:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSomeday View Post
Guys,

Does SLIME mess up tyretronics (or TPMS)? Also, any impact on the tyre warranty?
I think it should be avoided if you have in-tyre tpms. fluids are not good for sensors that are intended to run in relatively dry conditions. it might be ok with the external type tpms tho.

no idea about impact on tyre warranty. But knowing how things are dealt in india, it can be a good excuse for them.
Old 23rd April 2012, 08:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSomeday View Post
Guys,

Slime has now come out with a variant for use in TPMS installed tires. This version has an yellow label on it.

BTW, I have had slime filled in my four tires of the Scorpio last year. As I drive off road a lot for birding and farming, I was plagued by punctures caused by Kikar thorns. Ever since I started using Slime, I never had a single puncture. At least till last week. One of my tires has developed a puncture and I had to go in for a repair. On opening the tire, I found that a nail had punctured it on the side. Though Slime was still present in the tire after over 18 months of first installing it, the quantity had reduced and the thing has become black and thick. I suppose the reduced quantity and viscosity has prevented it from being effective on the side-wall puncture. Or is it that the life of Slime is only 18 months rather than the 24 months the manufacturer recommends. I plan to visit the Khizarabad Corporate office for answers and will post them here.
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamrei View Post
Slime has now come out with a variant for use in TPMS installed tires. This version has an yellow label on it.

BTW, I have had slime filled in my four tires of the Scorpio last year. As I drive off road a lot for birding and farming, I was plagued by punctures caused by Kikar thorns. Ever since I started using Slime, I never had a single puncture. At least till last week. One of my tires has developed a puncture and I had to go in for a repair. On opening the tire, I found that a nail had punctured it on the side. Though Slime was still present in the tire after over 18 months of first installing it, the quantity had reduced and the thing has become black and thick. I suppose the reduced quantity and viscosity has prevented it from being effective on the side-wall puncture. Or is it that the life of Slime is only 18 months rather than the 24 months the manufacturer recommends. I plan to visit the Khizarabad Corporate office for answers and will post them here.
The Slime comes with a 24 months or 40,000 kms warranty, as told by the company representative at Reliance Autozone (EDM, Ghaziabad) yesterday.

He quoted Rs 90/ounce and for a Scorpio / Safari tyre (size 235), 15 ounce is required. So Rs 1350 per tyre and Rs 5400 for 4 tyres. Giving a discount of 5% on a total of Rs 5350.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 23rd April 2012 at 09:23.
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quite shameful, considering what Amazon is selling the 16 oz pack for!
And the gallon packs come much cheaper!
Old 1st October 2012, 14:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

How to-Avoid/Prevent Puncture in a Tube Type 2 Wheeler Tyre.

A Puncture in the middle of nowhere is one of my worst nightmares.
This is after riding on tubeless tyres for 7 years and 75K kms,i am back to
ancient tube type tyres on the CL5.Apart from fixing a puncture\replacing the tube,are there any other options to avoid them,alloys and tubeless tyres arent an option.

1)Tuff Tube-How effective is it?-Honda Unicorn Owners can shed some light here.

2)Double tube setup-Like old school rallyists used to do,insert a tube,and then another,and inflate the one on the outer side,when it goes bust,inflate the other one and move on.

3)Another wierd idea i thought of-the rear tyre is 120\80\18,how about i fix rubber from a smaller used tyre on the inner side,to avoid nails from penetrating till the tube-it is one of my wierdo ideas,i am ready for brick\bats.
Old 1st October 2012, 16:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to-Avoid/Prevent Puncture in a Tube Type 2 Wheeler Tyre.

2. Sounds like a dangerous idea. With the speeds we typically drive at nowadays, I'd shudder to think on the impact on ride and handling. The weight distribution inside the tyre cannot be correctly achieved with this arrangement and that is going to cause all sorts of issues. Experts can advise more on this point.

3. Same as 2, perhaps, but not as pronounced. BUT, you will need to fix the additional layer of rubber through some sort of heating + compression method, which itself willl then reduce the life and strength of the tyre.
Old 1st October 2012, 17:44   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
A Puncture in the middle of nowhere is one of my worst nightmares.
Same here.

While I haven't found any solution to prevent a puncture, some things that I do to try and minimize the risk of a puncture is to change both tubes before a long ride, no matter what condition they are in, and to also ensure that both tyres are in good shape before starting out. I guess everyone also knows that maintaining the correct tyre pressure will also help ensure that the tube does not fail.

I carry a spare tube and the tools required to remove the wheel(s). I also always ride with at least one friend on another bike, so that if a puncture does occur, I can remove the wheel and hop on to the other bike to go and find a puncture shop.

Been pretty lucky so far, haven't had a puncture on any long ride (touch-wood), and that includes rides in a couple of places where there was no puncture shop for miles (Kutch, Arunachal). Most places in India though, you will certainly find a puncture shop within a few kilometers.
Old 1st October 2012, 18:12   #30
BANNED

Does n ;t slime helps In tube type tyres? i thought it was developed for tube type tyres only .Fill your tyres with slime. it;s available in reliance auto zone near to my place.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 1st October 2012 at 18:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks