Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2022, 09:51   #16
BHPian

Re: 2017 Tata Hexa owner gets Rs. 2.41 lakh bill for automatic transmission replacement after 54,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounak04 View Post
Man that's a very steep price to pay considering that the has done only 54k kms.
I'm just wondering what would have happened had OP taken the Engine and Gearbox cover option in his insurance? I guess that would have helped him getting the Gearbox replaced through insurance.
Usually the premium for Engine and Gearbox coverage is quite less in comparison to Zero Dept. coverage.
So just wondering why didn't he ticked mark that option in his insurance or if the Coverage is valid only when the car's gearbox gets damaged in an accident?
That’s an interesting input. Do you need to add that choice, when you take the car delivery, or can it be taken later? Moreover, is the option valid for first few years, or forever (I mean does it get carried over to the future years till the end of life of the car?). Does this coverage also attract the depreciation clause.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 26th June 2022 at 09:53.
Old 26th June 2022, 12:18   #17
BHPian

Re: 2017 Tata Hexa owner gets Rs. 2.41 lakh bill for automatic transmission replacement after 54,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
That’s an interesting input. Do you need to add that choice, when you take the car delivery, or can it be taken later? Moreover, is the option valid for first few years, or forever (I mean does it get carried over to the future years till the end of life of the car?). Does this coverage also attract the depreciation clause.
1) This add-on is available to all cars, but only from some insurance providers based on their internal parameters.
Go to coverfox et al, and check based on your car, and they'll show you plans which have this & which don't.

2) Addon is only valid only till the policy is valid.

No such thing as "lifetime" or "blanket" cover in insurance. Everything is tied to policy validity & clauses.
If, hypothetically, "Lifetime" cover is given by an insurance company, that tends to be very hazardous for the insurance company's well-being across its life-time!

Terms & Conditions always apply!

3) You need to buy the addon everytime you renew. If its not mentioned in the policy doc, then its understood that its not applicable for your car.

4) Depreciation clause is a part & parcel of the policy, so yes it would. (Unsure if zero dep clause would apply in this case. Do check with your insurance provider)

5) This clause is especially useful in case of water ingress into the engine when negotiating a flooded road etc. (Off roading scenarios may not get coverage.)

6) When taking delivery of a brand-new/used car, before the dealer purchases your insurance, you can ask for this add-on.
After the dealer has purchased your insurance, there's nothing much to be done. Do ask the dealer, but they generally resist.
Then, only options are to buy a 2nd car insurance policy parallelly for the same car, so that you'll get this coverage (this is useful in case of buying a used car whose insurance is anyway about to expire in a few months), or to purchase this add-on when renewing the car's insurance after 1 year.

You can also buy a 2nd parallel insurance policy with this addon for a brand-new car, but that doesn't make any sense, unless you're really really particular about this addon.

7) Note - Some companies (Like Sundaram etc), list this addon as "Engine Aggravation Cover". Others (Acko/Digit etc) call it "Engine & Gearbox Cover"

Last edited by som9729 : 26th June 2022 at 12:21.
som9729 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 12:26   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by som9729 View Post

2) Addon is only valid only till the policy is valid.

No such thing as "lifetime" or "blanket" cover in insurance. Everything is tied to policy validity & clauses.
If, hypothetically, "Lifetime" cover is given by an insurance company, that tends to be very hazardous for the insurance company's well-being across its life-time!
When I said lifetime, I meant that as long as I renew my original policy regularly, I can retain this option even if it is an old car, say 10+ years.

I would think, if available, this makes a lot of sense for the automatic gearboxes esp the VW DSG ones like DQ200, which are destined for failure sooner or later in the life cycle of the car, based on what we keep on hearing on TBHP.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 26th June 2022 at 12:40.
Old 26th June 2022, 16:30   #19
BHPian

I don't think insurance would cover it even if the engine and gearbox protection cover is included in the policy as it is a result of internal component failure and not "own damage"
akg7091 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 17:07   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
And does any FNG repair DSGs? I haven't heard of one as yet.
Hi, this guy repairs VAG DSG gearboxes. The video is in Malayalam though.
The Rationalist is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 17:51   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
I don't think insurance would cover it even if the engine and gearbox protection cover is included in the policy as it is a result of internal component failure and not "own damage"
Precisely. It is stated quite explicitly by the insurer. Otherwise, people would just get the engine / GB protect cover after 5yrs to replace the extended warranty.
gandharjc is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 18:40   #22
BHPian

Hi Mate,

I am a Hexa owner and my AT Gearbox failed.

I am sorry you have to go through all this. I will document my entire ordeal about this issue I faced at a later date. My Hexa was manufactured in November/December 2017 and I took delivery on 7th January 2018.

2 months ago the transmission conked off. Odometer reading stood at 87k exactly 4.5 years. My heart sank and I knew I should be looking around 3.5 lakhs bill. Came home and checked the status of the warranty and as the luck favoured me, I had EW until December 2022. Transmission was replaced and I was billed 6k. I thanked my stars and last week bought a new Honda City Manuel transmission with EW that covers next 5 years.

Though I love Hexa, I vow not to touch TATA again in my life.
doxinboy is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 21:15   #23
BHPian

The symptoms indicate that the torque converter itself failed to function due to any of the following reasons:
1) Damaged Fin in the turbine or pump
2) Damaged fluid pump or valves or both
3) Motherboard failed to process shift signal due to faulty sensors

Repairing a torques converter gearbox is an expensive affair because in case of multiple failures, many components are damaged.

Most people are not aware that a torque converter gearbox has to be be serviced every 50,000 km or 5 years, whichever is earlier. If getting the service is neglected, transmission failure is most likely going to happen.
NYMEX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 21:31   #24
BHPian

After hearing these kind of episodes( TC failure, CVT failure etc ,), I feel my decision to go for tried and tested manual version of Spresso seems to be correct in long term. I always had apprehension about AMT gear boxes that some power mechanism( hydraulic as in Maruti /Tata or eletric in Hyundai) is used to press clutch and change gears which may fail at any time. DCT/DSG episodes are very famous here.Now we are seeing TC and CVT failures also .
Old 27th June 2022, 08:01   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounak04 View Post
I'm just wondering what would have happened had OP taken the Engine and Gearbox cover option in his insurance?
"Warranty" which covers mechanical faults & "Insurance" which protects you against accidents, fire etc. are two different things. Regardless of whether OP had taken engine & gearbox coverage in his insurance, it wouldn't have made a difference. Insurance policies don't pay for manufacturing / mechanical defects.

Of course, as Team-BHP strongly recommends, the Hexa owner should have taken extended warranty. The entire gearbox would've been replaced for free under the warranty coverage. Sucks that owners skip on the cost of extended warranty. Penny wise, pound foolish IMHO, especially in cars with expensive parts. The Hexa was never cheap to begin with.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 10:47   #26
SGK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMEX View Post

Most people are not aware that a torque converter gearbox has to be be serviced every 50,000 km or 5 years, whichever is earlier. If getting the service is neglected, transmission failure is most likely going to happen.
Does this apply to TC in Innova Crysta as well? Remember it is sealed for lifetime and no such service is required.
SGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 10:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Of course, as Team-BHP strongly recommends, the Hexa owner should have taken extended warranty. The entire gearbox would've been replaced for free under the warranty coverage. Sucks that owners skip on the cost of extended warranty. Penny wise, pound foolish IMHO, especially in cars with expensive parts.
Drawing from anecdotal evidence in my personal experience and posts on this forum (like this ), I have a feeling they would have cooked up some excuse and evaded it.

Quote:
The Hexa was never cheap to begin with.
agree with this part though.

Last edited by greenhorn : 27th June 2022 at 10:51.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 13:02   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGK View Post
Does this apply to TC in Innova Crysta as well? Remember it is sealed for lifetime and no such service is required.
In engineering there is nothing that is 'lifetime' durable, and that is the reason for the deterioration of fluids which lose their mechanical & chemical properties with time. The moving parts contaminate the fluid with micron particles which increase the tolerances and thus damage the transmission when used under high temperatures & pressures. Abuse of the transmission, due to bad driving habits, only hastens the breakdown of the gear box.

The servicing of the gearbox should be done by the dealer only if they have the expertise, correct equipment and parts. Also do make sure the following are done while servicing:
  1. flushing properly till clear ATF oil is discharged
  2. changing all seals
  3. changing the solenoids (function) & valves (tolerances), if required after testing
  4. changing all filters
NYMEX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 13:11   #29
BHPian

To be honest, we don't know the other side of the story. Maybe some coolant / ATF lines were hit or some other damage. What I see is a very reasonable cost of AT transmission which is around 1.88L including labour.
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 13:20   #30
SGK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMEX View Post
  1. flushing properly till clear ATF oil is discharged
  2. changing all seals
  3. changing the solenoids (function) & valves (tolerances), if required after testing
  4. changing all filters
Thank you NYMEX, my car has done 55 K and due for service. I will check with my service centre for the above points.
SGK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks