Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should I restore my Tata Estate at a local mechanics place for about 1.5 lakhs?
Restore it 180 43.37%
Scrap it! It’s too far gone 235 56.63%
Voters: 415. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2022, 09:21   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 1993 Tata Estate | Restore or scrap?

Except if you plan to use it as a collectible restore it, otherwise, scrap it. Dont think twice.

Trust me, running it or even using it functionally, even after restoration (for 3.5Lacs) would be quite tough, and will require constant upkeep costs.

If you really really want to retain the shape and value that comes with it, throw the engine and gearbox out, plonk in a reliable drive train, including the rear axles. Then may be, you can spend some time enjoying the money spent on restoring it. Just be informed that a proper reliable restoration will cost well above 6-8 lacs.
dhanushs is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 10:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1993 Tata Estate: Restore or scrap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
We already brought them a Brand new Maruti Van, which was far more suitable for their intended use. This time, I solely want to bring this car back to life to keep as a ‘classic’ car.
I have sent you a PM about one Tata Estate, which you may purchase and use the parts / aggregates for restoration. If the aggregates like engine, gearbox, axles etc. are in working condition, it will bring down the restoration time and cost.

And if the suggested car is in reasonably good condition, you have choice to get it detailed and scrap your car. This will be quicker and much less costly.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 13:12   #18
BHPian

Unless you have very strong emotional connect with this very car, I would suggest scrapping it.

Estate when new wasn't known for its reliability and it won't be now either, even after spending lakhs of rupees and your time and effort.

The body and engine would require a lot of hard work. If the engine is not moving, it could very well be seized. Add to it that the car was once flooded. It would be a nightmare to sort out the electrical problems. (Electricals of that generation Tata cars were the weakest link).

Speaking from my own experience. We had a Sierra of similar vintage. Even we had donated it to a charitable trust. The car was abused like ones business.
Even after having a lot of fond memories and emotions attached to it, we decided to let it rest in peace. It had a very long journey to cover and probably was time to let it go. Forever.
ObsessedByFIAT is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 13:54   #19
BHPian

If the engine's restoration is going to cost a lot, you should consider getting a factory rebuilt DiCOR 2.2 liter engine (when I checked last it a couple of years ago they said it would cost about 200,000). This engine is a proven work horse and if sourced from the factory, they provide warranty too.

The only fly in the ointment is the rusted chassis. Unless you plan on to replace the chassis, it won't be road worthy.
Prowler is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 14:50   #20
BHPian

I don't know if posting olx advertisements here is allowed, but I can see 3 Tata Estates listed on olx(change filter to all India), that too in reasonably respectable shapes.

Maybe scrap the one you have and buy one of them and see if it suits your needs. Even if one isn't running, you can always buy it cheap and use as a parts bin. It seems like a no-brainer if you're attached to the brand name and not to the particular car.
Attached Thumbnails
1993 Tata Estate | Restore or scrap?-image-10.jpg  

1993 Tata Estate | Restore or scrap?-image-9.jpg  

1993 Tata Estate | Restore or scrap?-image-6.jpg  

1993 Tata Estate | Restore or scrap?-image-1.jpg  

1993 Tata Estate | Restore or scrap?-image-2.jpg  

1993 Tata Estate | Restore or scrap?-image-4.jpg  

Attached Images

stallmaster is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 18:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
I have sent you a PM about one Tata Estate, which you may purchase and use the parts / aggregates for restoration. If the aggregates like engine, gearbox, axles etc. are in working condition, it will bring down the restoration time and cost.

And if the suggested car is in reasonably good condition, you have choice to get it detailed and scrap your car. This will be quicker and much less costly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post
I don't know if posting olx advertisements here is allowed, but I can see 3 Tata Estates listed on olx(change filter to all India), that too in reasonably respectable shapes.

Maybe scrap the one you have and buy one of them and see if it suits your needs. Even if one isn't running, you can always buy it cheap and use as a parts bin. It seems like a no-brainer if you're attached to the brand name and not to the particular car.
Thank you so much for the links and the idea of acquiring a donor car!

However, the only challenge is that the only cars one can find are from down south, so booking tickets to go and inspect them, buying the car, transferring papers and transporting the car would entail additional expenses.

I also don’t have any attachment with the ‘Tata Estate’ as a product, it’s just that I want to see if I can save this particular one from getting scrapped.

I will see if I can find some scrap Tata Sumos for less than 50K. That could make sense if I am able to find a car locally.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 18:28   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I also don’t have any attachment with the ‘Tata Estate’ as a product, it’s just that I want to see if I can save this particular one from getting scrapped.
The answer to your question lies in these two sentences. You arent attached to the model, and dont seem to be attached to it as an owned object. Suffice to say, let it go. It looks to have completed it's useable life already.

If it will help you close the decision, move the car to a place away from regular view. You will get used to not seeing it and that can help you get over trying to do something about it

(Btw, I am attached to the idea of having a TataMobile. If I could find a good example here, I would get it - also because I have a use for it. I know of one here, but he is no longer selling it).

Last edited by condor : 8th July 2022 at 18:51.
condor is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 23:16   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Scrapping or retaining the car, fully depends upon the love, affection and attachment either you or one or more family members have with the car. Please do not go by the votes given with your two options on this thread.

Many body trims and spares could be difficult to source. The engine and gearbox spares could be aplenty as the Estate uses the same first generation Tata (Sumo, Sierra) engine with a 1956 cc non-turbo diesel.

The two quoted amounts are poles apart. Rather than doing a neat job for Rs 3.5 L, it will be preferable to opt for the cheaper quote provided the mechanic is competent.

The Rs 3.5 L makes less sense because this can hopefully never be your or some family member's daily driver. And if it's sparingly used, it will most likely again develop niggles within a few years.

It's preferable to get it in running condition with a lower price tag for the expenses incurred and use it accordingly.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th July 2022 at 23:18.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 23:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
If the engine's restoration is going to cost a lot, you should consider getting a factory rebuilt DiCOR 2.2 liter engine (when I checked last it a couple of years ago they said it would cost about 200,000). This engine is a proven work horse and if sourced from the factory, they provide warranty too.

The only fly in the ointment is the rusted chassis. Unless you plan on to replace the chassis, it won't be road worthy.
The dicor engine may be too much to handle for the estate as the transmission and other drive train parts of the estate will surely not handle that much of torque put in by the dicor engine. That apart brakes, suspension and what not? absolutely nothing of the estate will corroborate to the power output of dicor engine.
Gypsian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 11:03   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsian View Post
The dicor engine may be too much to handle for the estate as the transmission and other drive train parts of the estate will surely not handle that much of torque put in by the dicor engine.
Long time ago, I used to import used Isuzu diesel engines and many people bought these 4FB1 engines to fit for their Ambassador, Gipsy, Contessa cars and vans. The engine developed 61 BHP/120 NM power/torque whereas the petrol Ambassador engine barely developed 37 BHP.

There was one such Ambassador I drove for over 100,000 km after its heart transplant and I faced no issues.
Prowler is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 14:29   #26

You can do one thing. Buy an estate which is in working condition, swap as many parts as you can like the doors, interiors, engine, transmission, as many as you can and then overhaul the swapped parts. If you gen am estate like such for around 80k - 1 lakh, you may save a lot of money while restoring the car. Restoring a 3 decade old car which never sold in very good numbers is very impractical. Sourcing parts in future can be really problematic, and remember this is a Tata car, we all know how good are Tata guys which ASS. But if you really love the car and respect your desires and feeling and have got ample money to spend, go for it because I feel there is nothing above satisfaction, contentment and love in life. People spend lakhs of money partying and drinking, here you are doing some productive thing for yourself. But alyaws be ready for any problem in future as things go wrong in an old car and sourcing spare parts can be nightmare. So suming up the things, after mentioning all the conditions you are your own decider wheather to go for it or not. If you go for your desire to restore, be ready for problems in future, and if you want hassle free life, scrap it and also do scrap your feelings for the car. Now you choose which is more feasable for you
Indraneil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 15:26   #27
BHPian

When I saw the title of the thread my heart said "restore it!". But then I read the post and saw the photos. While it may be fun and exciting to have the prospect of restoring it, it can very quickly become a pain. I'd suggest scrap it. And if you want a project car, maybe look at another Tata Estate, or a Gypsy which could be a lot of fun as a project car. The condition of this Estate looks too far gone unfortunately.
Porcupine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 16:01   #28
BHPian

Re: 1993 Tata Estate: Restore or scrap?

Quote:
That is my single biggest concern. If the superficial rusting is this bad, I can’t imagine the extent to which the body structure is rusted internally.
Tens of hours spent watching YouTubers restore and review flood cars have taught me one thing. Avoid.
Structural integrity will be compromised and you'll have to take great pains to rectify it.

If you are deeply emotionally vested in the car, one line of action would be to approach Tata Motors directly and see if they will refinish it at the factory.
Hindustan Motors did it for a while with the erstwhile Ambassador.

With this approach, the owner ends up getting an almost new car from the factory, but the chassis number and the RTO number plate stay the same.
sleepyk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 16:18   #29
BHPian

It entirely depends on your requirements at the end of the day. If you're sentimental about it and ready to take the plunge then no seconds thoughts. Just do it as they say.
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 16:34   #30
BHPian

It’s Tata not Toyota That explains it all
bravo82in is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks