Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2022, 12:10   #1
BHPian

Jeep Compass - All errors suddenly appear and car becomes unusable

The car was working fine, and has been serviced as per schedule. While driving today, i was suddenly bombarded with errors and the car wouldnt upshift from 1st gear.

Any idea what could be happening?

sudiptaadhya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 13:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass - All errors suddenly appear and car becomes unusable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudiptaadhya View Post
The car was working fine, and has been serviced as per schedule. While driving today, i was suddenly bombarded with errors and the car wouldnt upshift from 1st gear.

Any idea what could be happening?

http://Youtu.be/FauRjhHG7Qs
Most probably a ABS Sensor has gone kaput. Get it checked at the SC. If under warranty they will change the ABS Sensor.

What is the odometer reading and what does the battery voltage show in ignition on mode (Engine not started).
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 15:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Most probably a ABS Sensor has gone kaput. Get it checked at the SC. If under warranty they will change the ABS Sensor.

What is the odometer reading and what does the battery voltage show in ignition on mode (Engine not started).
Thanks. They've picked up the vehicle on a flatbed as it wouldn't go above 1st gear (auto transmission). Odo is at 15k and batt voltage is 12v.

Would the ABS sensor alone cause so many errors (ESP, ABS, transmission, steering etc)? My first hunch also was the battery - we had replaced it in 2021 with Amaron, but it seems to start fine and light etc are quite bright.
sudiptaadhya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 15:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

It should be a battery issue. My Compass (manual) battery had died a few days back, and sure enough, it gave all kinds of errors. A new battery, and everything got cleared on its own.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 14th August 2022 at 15:51.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 18:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

A 2021 Amaron battery is unlikely to die within one year. I strongly suspect the ABS sensor issue. That sensor can trigger all the errors that you have reported since all of them depend on accurate wheel rotation being available via the sensor.

Do keep us updated on the progress. I am assuming the car is in warranty.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 20:27   #6
BHPian

I am getting deja vu of my encounters with the alternator on my T Jet. When the battery dies after alternator conks off, I used to get multiple such weird error messages (including ABS error).
First thing I would check is the battery here.
sparameswaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 23:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
A 2021 Amaron battery is unlikely to die within one year. I strongly suspect the ABS sensor issue. That sensor can trigger all the errors that you have reported since all of them depend on accurate wheel rotation being available via the sensor.

Do keep us updated on the progress. I am assuming the car is in warranty.
Thanks, yes the car is under extended warranty, and the battery has a 3yr warranty too.

I'll update the thread. Today is Sunday and tomorrow is 15 Aug holiday, so the earliest I will hear back is Tuesday.
sudiptaadhya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 13:53   #8
BHPian

The workshop called and said that its due to one of the ABS sensors. They will have to find out which one and replace it. Price is 1700 for one sensor and labour of 1000.

Overall the software seems to be dumb. A single abs sensor shouldn’t cripple the whole car but atleast allow the car to run in “manual” mode. Everything from the auto transmission, steering dynamic torque, esp, hill hold etc was disabled.
sudiptaadhya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 22:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The workshop called and said that its due to one of the ABS sensors. They will have to find out which one and replace it. Price is 1700 for one sensor and labour of 1000.

Overall the software seems to be dumb. A single abs sensor shouldn’t cripple the whole car but atleast allow the car to run in “manual” mode. Everything from the auto transmission, steering dynamic torque, esp, hill hold etc was disabled.
Good to know that it’s just the ABS sensor. The reason why all the errors pop up is because all these systems depend on the ABS input and without that the ECU disables all the dependent functions. It becomes quite confusing to know what exactly has failed in such a scenario. The only way to find out would be to scan the ECU to find out what is exactly malfunctioning.

Hope you get the car back quickly.
Traveler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 23:03   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Good to know that it’s just the ABS sensor. The reason why all the errors pop up is because all these systems depend on the ABS input and without that the ECU disables all the dependent functions. It becomes quite confusing to know what exactly has failed in such a scenario. The only way to find out would be to scan the ECU to find out what is exactly malfunctioning.

Hope you get the car back quickly.
Thanks for your guidance on this. They are covering this under extended warranty (so all free) and have promised to give the car back tomorrow.

Sidenote - does the ABS sensor only measure breaks locking, or does it send speed data to other systems (which would explain why the auto transmission, esp and dynamic steering torque also failed)?
Old 17th August 2022, 06:31   #11
Team-BHP Support

An ABS sensor failing isn’t a fatal flaw in itself and it isn’t surprising that it triggers a host of warning lights. But whats surprising is that it force stalls the car and doesn’t allow it to go beyond 1st gear (or 2nd if that’s the first gear in normal use).

I think it should allow the car to run with a warning light that it should be driven slowly and promptly to the service station. The car shouldn’t be rendered unusable in such a situation.

I’ve had a few sensor failures in my 3GT’s seven years of ownership and its never force stopped my car from being usable.
Axe77 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 08:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your guidance on this. They are covering this under extended warranty (so all free) and have promised to give the car back tomorrow.

Sidenote - does the ABS sensor only measure breaks locking, or does it send speed data to other systems (which would explain why the auto transmission, esp and dynamic steering torque also failed)?
The data from ABS sensor is utilised by all these systems. Absence of reliable data from any of the ABS sensors results on a waterfall effect and causes all these systems to trip and start throwing errors.

Another example is when you have a Low battery and the ESS throws an error. Since the battery is low it triggers not a low battery warning but also disabled the start stop function. What you actually see in the dashboard is a warning for ESS.

Similar to the above ESS gets disabled even when you have a DPF blocking issue. You get both the DPF warning and the ESS not available warning in that case.

Today these systems are highly dependent on each other and therefore we see a string of errors if any one component has a failure. Usually the culprit is only one of these components.

A good way to figure out is to invest in a small OBD diagnosis tool and use any of the myriad ODB diagnostic apps on Android or IPhone to figure out what went wrong.

Ultimately you may have to take the vehicle to the workshop to get the component changed, however you can accurately determine what’s wrong so that nobody takes you for a ride.
Traveler is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 15:05   #13

Today morning, I happened to experience the same thing while commuting to work. Initially began with the ABS indicator glowing and followed by a series of messages on the dashboard -
Dynamic Steering Torque Service Required
Service Electronic Parking Brake
Service Hill holder
Service ESC system
Service ABS

I spoke with the SA and told him about the messages and the ABS indicator. I said am able to drive is there something that I need to be concerned about. He stated it's most likely the ABS sensor not working, kindly get it to the SC so that we can verify the ABS sensor and get it replaced.

The odometer reading is 33K and is regularly serviced.

Last edited by vevck : 13th September 2022 at 15:11.
Old 18th September 2022, 01:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vevck View Post
Today morning, I happened to experience the same thing while commuting to work. Initially began with the ABS indicator glowing and followed by a series of messages on the dashboard -
Dynamic Steering Torque Service Required
Service Electronic Parking Brake
Service Hill holder
Service ESC system
Service ABS
Is it manual or auto? If auto, were you able to go above the 1st / 2nd gear?
Old 19th September 2022, 12:25   #15

I have a manual version and was able to drive around.

The right rear wheel ABS sensor was faulty, got it replaced on 16th Sep.

Quote:
Is it manual or auto? If auto, were you able to go above the 1st / 2nd gear?
vevck is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks