Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2007, 10:33   #1
BHPian

Swift slower than Esteem...??

Hi Guys!

I own a swift VXi which has done 34k km in 2 years. I am pretty much satisfied wth the performance . But i recently happen to drive my relative's Esteem (90k km old) for about 200kms. To my surprise, it was a a lot quicker then my swift. The pickup of Esteem is just too good...!!compared to Swift . I was amazed as both cars share the same engine. My swift is much newer also compared to that esteem. But still....

The punch you feel in the Esteem when you depress the accelator quickly is certinly missing in the Swift. Its too slow..

Amy comments why is it so??
Old 29th June 2007, 10:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

power to weight ratio, low seating position (illusion of being faster), the torque and bhp curve all contribute. although i really dont have recent experience with esteem to comment on this.

can someone post up some figures for comparison?
Old 29th June 2007, 10:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well ya esteem is a tad bit faster and feels faster too coz of its light weight. And power to weight ratio of esteem is better than SWIFT.
Old 29th June 2007, 21:43   #4
BHPian

Here it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
power to weight ratio, low seating position (illusion of being faster), the torque and bhp curve all contribute. although i really dont have recent experience with esteem to comment on this.

can someone post up some figures for comparison?
here are some from indiacar.com, 11.49 0-100 for Esteem and 12.29 for swift. There is not a whole lot of difference, but for reasons quoted by others it may be more of a feel than actual briskness.

COMPARISON TEST: INDIGO vs IKON 1.3NXT vs SIENA 1.2 vs CORSA 1.4 vs ESTEEM
MARUTI SWIFT v HYUNDAI GETZ
Old 29th June 2007, 21:47   #5
Team-BHP Support

More to do with the gearing i guess. the swift has shorter ratios whereas the Esteems are longer. Because of that you might have felt that.
Old 29th June 2007, 21:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

The old carb esteem like mine call pull upto or more than 120 in 2nd gear in real quick time, i doubt if the swift can do that. I never ever thought of the present swift as a fast car, did you ? it is a sensible modern car, that's it.
Old 29th June 2007, 22:15   #7
BHPian

hey buddy as uve been told already the power to weight ratio both these cars use the same engine,one has distributorless ignition with dual coils and one has an ignition distributor with a single coil,the torque curve is different and also the gear ratio's make the car move very differently,the swift zxi is 1,010 kg and comparitively the esteem is way lighter,the swift has 14" standard rims while the esteem comes with 13" standard these are the various reason's for the difference in power that you see,hope this would help,cheers happy revvin..!
Old 29th June 2007, 22:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
The punch you feel in the Esteem when you depress the accelator quickly is certinly missing in the Swift. Its too slow..
It could be a case of a worn-out clutch on your Swift. They're known to have that issue.

Vid: AFAIK, they have similar, if not identical gearing. Both hit 100 or so in 2nd. Though I could be wrong.
Old 30th June 2007, 00:03   #9
BANNED

Power to weight Ratio is what comes to my mind. Ain't it?
Old 30th June 2007, 00:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

If your Swift is fine, you shouldn't feel much of a difference (although Swift will be slower), but the Swift being structurally more rigid migh provide a feeling of concealing speed especially on a tad rough surface. Infact contrary to popular belief, Swift is more of a car for driving fast. (fast driving is not just about the having the fastest accelerating car)

But it could be a variety of things like the clutch or could be that you normally drive with a light foot and the car needs to "learn" to go fast, and if your relatives esteem is carb'd it may already "know".
Old 30th June 2007, 02:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
But it could be a variety of things like the clutch or could be that you normally drive with a light foot and the car needs to "learn" to go fast, and if your relatives esteem is carb'd it may already "know".
Carb'd cars can't 'know'. Only MPFI cars can adjust injection parameters to some extent. Unless your relative has a carb'd car and he's upjetted it or something.
Old 30th June 2007, 02:22   #12

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

like pointed out by other members,its more to do with the power to weight ratio as the esteem is lighter than the swift.

wouldnt the gear ratios be different if the cars are running on 13" versus a car running on 14".
Old 30th June 2007, 10:13   #13
BHPian

I agree wth you guys in saying that the power to weight ratio is the main cause. I may be talking in layman terms, but figure this out...

Swift is 87 bhp as compares to 85 bhp for esteem. Swift is 1000 kg while esteem is 870 kg. Since both are almost same in power and going by the 'power to weight ratio' logic, what happens if i seat just two adults (other then driver), the weight of esteem will become more then the unladen swift. Logically, it should be outperformed by the Swift now...!

But still Esteem is faster I suppose.. As far as the wheel dia is concerned, a larger Dia wheel will only increase the vehicle speed...
Old 30th June 2007, 12:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yes its because of power to weight ratio which make us feel Swift is slow, I had discussion with MUL tech guy who is directly from MUL regional office, he gave me same answer when I quesioned him in congested city traffic it was pain to drive Swift compared with Esteem/Santro/WagonR.
However on highway Swift is awasome car.

He told me we need to downshift more in Swift compared to old cars like Esteem/WagonR/Santro.

I can see Even my Petrol Innova pulls in 2nd gear almost everytime tested while Petrol Swift won't.

Its because of power to wieght , gear ratios in Swift, give extra acceleration in Swift compared to other cars you won't feel Swift is slow than Esteem. According to me Swift is rally based car lovers not for family.

This reminds me one old man who owns Red Swift P after driving his relative's WagonR Duo saying "wow this is faster than my Swift and easy to drive in city although its small box (WagonR)" but he is happy with Swift because it has more space than WagonR and more comfort acocrding to him.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 30th June 2007, 12:43   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Well, there is also another side to this. And it has to do with the nature of swift's build. Esteem (similarly baleno & OHC too) is a tin box as we all know. Hence we feel the speed, also the suspension plays a vital role in this too. However, due to the pronounce weight of the swift not only is it partially slow but the manner in which it is built in itself along with the stiff suspension gives you a feeling that you are not doing high speeds even if you are.

Same holds true with the Hyundai Elantra, you think you are doing about 100-120 by sheer gut feeling. One look at the odo and you will be shocked to see it read 150+ or thereabouts. Same logic applies here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat
He told me we need to downshift more in Swift compared to old cars like Esteem/WagonR/Santro.
That would purely depend on the torque curve.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 30th June 2007 at 12:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks