Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2007, 20:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

having a reserve switch makes you realise that u are about to empty even if you ignore/miss the empty light. I myself have done that a couple of times. (realised a little later that it was going to empty).

As samurai suggested, in a car I would rather go with a beep than having to flip a switch. (switch can be located inside though).
Old 30th June 2007, 21:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

I agree with GTO and Esteem_Lover. I have the same habit too. In fact, to me its either 100 kms in India on my esteem and 100 miles in the US on my Civic for me to show up at the gas station. It is also a healthy habit to maintain more that half the tank all the time rather than allow the fuel level to drop to E and face the threat of minute dust particles/sediments going into the engine along with the residual fuel.
Old 30th June 2007, 23:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

My car has a low fuel warning lamp once the fuel gauge hits E. However most of the times I fill up when there's around a quarter of the tank remaining. The only time I actually saw that light was on the day i bought the car.
Old 30th June 2007, 23:22   #19
BHPian

Does it not mean more trips if we have to fill up every couple of hundred KMs. I have been refilling every 350 to 400 KMs over the last few months. On the long trips I generally refill when the mark shows about 1/3 full.
Old 30th June 2007, 23:55   #20
BHPian

There sud have been an audible alert for low fuel.. What u guys say?
Old 1st July 2007, 00:29   #21

Friends, I personally design the level sensor for cars. Cars do have reserves. Vehicles we design for the USA, and other countries do have options like Empty low, empty high warning ! Its not in view of a switch, valve like motor cycles. The level sensor gives a resistance signal based on the float (buoyancy) level. This resistance is been displayed in the dash board with respect to angle ! height Vs resistance is been converted in Angle Vs resistance by a level sensor, sent to fuel gauge which has a graduation in angle Vs volume ! (E, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full). We were supposed to fill fuel when the light starts glowing, then next step is blinking with a alarm (I would call this as reserve). Indian cars doesnot have this because of the level sensing equipment is only 20% approximation. I think I am going too much details. Should try to restrict crisp!
Old 1st July 2007, 01:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Does it not mean more trips if we have to fill up every couple of hundred KMs. I have been refilling every 350 to 400 KMs over the last few months. On the long trips I generally refill when the mark shows about 1/3 full.
yup, i stopped to refuel only twice while driving ohio-florida. would hate to do more than that.
Old 1st July 2007, 01:30   #23
BHPian

moreover as in case of bikes can anyone tell me the significance of having the on/off/reserve dial or lever?
Old 1st July 2007, 01:34   #24
Team-BHP Support

Actually reserve is a state to remind you that you need to tank up sooner than later. Now that exists even in cars. The comparatively large fuel gauge (when compared to bikes) and clear read marking is a big indicator. Many (most?) cars also have an amber light that comes up when the gauge hits the red marking. These alongwith the trip meter act as a very nice reserve indication.

Only thing missing is probably that your car does not stall when it hits the reserve (a la two wheelers). And that will be the most inconvenient thing to happen if it were to be implemented.
Old 1st July 2007, 02:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
When the needle hits the E mark, it is time to fuel up. Guess you can call that the reserve in cars. The esteem holds 10 litres from then. I guess other cars must have the same system.
if my memory serves right, the esteem has 30L tank. if 10L of it is indicated after the E sign, then my friend's car is giving an extraordinary mileage!
Old 1st July 2007, 02:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma View Post
if my memory serves right, the esteem has 30L tank. if 10L of it is indicated after the E sign, then my friend's car is giving an extraordinary mileage!
the fuel tank of a esteem has a capacity of 40 l and not 30 l

even the altos tank can hold more than 30 l
its tank can hold 35l

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks