Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2007, 06:55   #1
BANNED

Why the cars are not having any Reserve ?

We are having fuel reserve even in bikes with fuel gauge. The reserve light in Matiz is very useful if we want to check the FE quickly without having to do a tankful.

So why the majority of the cars are not provided with such a provision eventhough it's not a costly affair ?

So, why our cars are not having any Reserve ?
Old 30th June 2007, 09:03   #2
BANNED

Hmm... nice question. Looks more like custom or practise. Bikes have reserve, even when have fuel guages, coz. it has been normal for manufacturers to make provision for reserve fuel on bikes, while contrary is the norm on four wheelers.
Old 30th June 2007, 09:52   #3
BHPian

Ummm! The cars do have a reserve but no light for notification. Like, in my Ford Ikon, when the fuel gauge is at the E line, 10 litres is there remaining in the tank. Or does reserve have another meaning??

A
Old 30th June 2007, 11:27   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Almost all new cars have this provision. A little light for the fuel.
Even older cars like the M800 have a fuel gauge with a red marker, indicating that you are on fuel reserve.

I think that's all we need, unless you want to get out of the car and change over a lever or something

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 30th June 2007 at 11:28.
Old 30th June 2007, 12:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

the less costly cars in the market and the old models have a reserve marking on the fuel gauge and as for more expensive cars they have a light to indicate low fuel

here is the pic of my fuel gauge with the red line showing reserve

Last edited by manikjeet : 30th June 2007 at 13:00.
Old 30th June 2007, 13:45   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Mithun,

If by "not having reserve" you mean lack of a distinct control to activate the reserve fuel, its prb due to its inconvenience in a car, over a bike. Come to think of it, there's no real USP having the mechanism in a bike as well.
Old 30th June 2007, 13:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

When the needle hits the E mark, it is time to fuel up. Guess you can call that the reserve in cars. The esteem holds 10 litres from then. I guess other cars must have the same system.
Old 30th June 2007, 13:50   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Some cars have it, some dont. Keep an eye on the gauge and thats all you need.

OT but related : I can understand the needle going low on drives where there isnt a fuel pump in sight. But I what I cant understand is why so many cars roam around in Mumbai with the needle on E. I mean, how careless can you get! Most of my friends cars always have the needle on the E mark. What would they do in an emergency midnight run? Or fuel pumps suddenly going on strike? How difficult is it to top up well in advance? I never let any of my cars tanks go below the halfway mark. And it doesnt mean I go to the petrol pump anymore often than the "E" guys.
Old 30th June 2007, 13:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What would they do in an emergency midnight run? Or fuel pumps suddenly going on strike? How difficult is it to top up well in advance? I never let any of my cars tanks go below the halfway mark. And it doesnt mean I go to the petrol pump anymore often than the "E" guys.
It is mostly out of habit. Actually, we will be spending the same amount only on fuel, whether the tank level is maintained at E, H or Full. I was told that it is better to maintain a 3/4 to full tank all the time.
Old 30th June 2007, 14:29   #10
BHPian

The old bikes did not have fuel guages. Hence the reserve. I guess the trend has continued to have reserve on bikes.
Old 30th June 2007, 15:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Some cars have it, some dont. Keep an eye on the gauge and thats all you need.

OT but related : I can understand the needle going low on drives where there isnt a fuel pump in sight. But I what I cant understand is why so many cars roam around in Mumbai with the needle on E. I mean, how careless can you get! Most of my friends cars always have the needle on the E mark. What would they do in an emergency midnight run? Or fuel pumps suddenly going on strike? How difficult is it to top up well in advance? I never let any of my cars tanks go below the halfway mark. And it doesnt mean I go to the petrol pump anymore often than the "E" guys.

i hear you.. i see everyother person here have the needles slightly above E as well .. most of the times i fill up at half or at quarter tank if i dont have access to a bunk at the time.. nowdays situation of dont have access to a bunk arises since i only put shell and there are so few of those in the city hehe
Old 30th June 2007, 15:36   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
So why the majority of the cars are not provided with such a provision eventhough it's not a costly affair ?

So, why our cars are not having any Reserve ?
Well, tilting the car sideways is easier said than done. They are many times heavier than good old Bajaj Chetaks.

If the car has fuel guage with a warning light/beep when it hits 5L mark should be good enough.
Old 30th June 2007, 15:43   #13
BHPian

Many adventures have reported not running after the 'E' mark. It always want 7-8 ltrs of fuel as reserve and that fuel cant be used even in case of an emergency.
Old 30th June 2007, 18:26   #14
BHPian

the new gen cars have an electronic display mentioning how many kms available after the fuel indicator has touched the low mark.

and not having the Reserve Switch should be due to engine fuel pressure that is required.

if there was a Reserve Switch and the car would be running a sudden stop in fuel cuts out the engine and with it all controls, and this can be very dangerous to road safety and to the Engine itself.
Old 30th June 2007, 20:13   #15
Team-BHP Support

when the meter hits the e mark in my innova a little light coms on. im guessing that shows that the car is running on the reserve.

Most Viewed