Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2022, 22:59   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Virtus: Stubborn left pull from the steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidusSnake View Post
The service guys admitted that they have no software for performing Virtus alignment and it is impossible to do it correctly without specific Virtus software in their alignment machine. They simply did hit and trial method the whole day and at end of the day they were clueless.

Is the subframe shifting they performed in my car is advisable in a new car, any cons of it in long run?
Just a thought

Since the VW Virtus and the Škoda Slavia are essentially the same car, couldn’t the Škoda guys (if they have the software for the slavia) do your alignment for you?

My sympathies are with you, it hurts to have a new car develop problems (especially for no fault of yours).

Last edited by AnAvgJoe : 18th October 2022 at 23:02. Reason: Added new text
AnAvgJoe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 06:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Also @GTO, mods or any member can share contact details of senior VW people, kindly share, as I think only VW technicians may be able to identify and correct the issue, as asc people are clueless
I feel the issue brother!

Which service centre did you go? I have contacts with VW Capital and VW Noida. You can try any of the two as I found the staff of both the service centres quite helpful.

DM me if you need any help with contacts from these two. However, I can not be 100% sure that they would be able to fix it or not. Hence it would be a hit and try.
SuperSuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 11:39   #18
BHPian

I suggest getting the wheel alignment checked at a different service center or a dedicated wheel alignment center. Sometimes, a miscalibrated wheel alignment machine can excarberare a alignment issue.
Old 19th October 2022, 13:35   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The service guys admitted that they have no software for performing Virtus alignment and it is impossible to do it correctly without specific Virtus software in their alignment machine. They simply did hit and trial method the whole day and at end of the day they were clueless.

Is the subframe shifting they performed in my car is advisable in a new car, any cons of it in long run?
Well, they should only have done the subframe shifting after they have concluded the allignement is off! If the allignement was ok, but the car still pulled to the right there is something else wrong and they should have left the subframe.

There is no such thing as trial and error when it comes to allignement. It is a highly precise sort of procedure!

My feeling is that it is likely more to do with your electrical steering mechanism. Either a sensor has gone wonky, or it just needs a calibration. If it turns out to be a problem with the electrical steering I strongly advise to get the allignement done properly first and reverse the subframe shift first.

There are other possibilities too, such as play in one of the steering components, wheel bearings and such. But that is even more unlikely on a new car.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 20:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Then they did alignment, but the issue persisted when they again took the road test, so alignment was done again and again for 4 times, but issue persisted.
Mind sharing the most current front and rear alignment results?
Old 20th October 2022, 21:36   #21

Quote:
Also @GTO, mods or any member can share contact details of senior VW people, kindly share, as I think only VW technicians may be able to identify and correct the issue, as asc people are clueless
My vento had this issue after several wheel alignments from different shops, finally they pinpointed it and said the tie rods had an impact after going through a pothole, once they adjusted that the steering became normal.So check your tie rods as well
Elvis5.0 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 13:36   #22
BHPian

Any update on this ? Facing same or a similar issue in my 1 month old Virtus, but I think It has been there since I took the delivery. The service centre people advised against doing anything to rectify this.
RaiAnish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 12:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Dont know if empathy helps, but I'm having the same problem in my Safari.
Are you on any of the safari groups? There are so many others facing this issue and have exhausted options, ultimately accepting to live with it. If you are pursuing this further, others may well benefit from a solution if it does turn out to be a software tweak that fixes the issue permanently.
ankur_fox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 10:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhayanaV View Post
There seems to be some other issue, Goodyear Assurance are known for running very high mileage, upto 90K+ KM on some ecosports.
Strange, I had to change my Vento stock tyres at 20k (front) and 25k (rear). Went for Bridgestone - a little bit of road noise but otherwise fine.
Auto_guy_101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 10:03   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto_guy_101 View Post
Strange, I had to change my Vento stock tyres at 20k (front) and 25k (rear). Went for Bridgestone - a little bit of road noise but otherwise fine.
Depends on driving conditions. Also possible different OEM's are getting different quality tyres of same brand, depending on segment of car.

Last edited by BhayanaV : 8th December 2022 at 10:04. Reason: Spell check
Old 9th December 2022, 20:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I have a month old Virtus Topline AT. The car was amazing to drive during first 1200 kms. But then it suddenly developed a left pull and to keep the car straight, i had to pull steering to the right, the whole driving pleasure was gone. I took the car to service center, they checked the air pressure, it was correct. They took a road test and acknowledged the issue. They raised the car and there was no damage whatsoever. Then they did alignment, but the issue persisted when they again took the road test, so alignment was done again and again for 4 times, but issue persisted. I asked for the reason behind the issue and they admitted that they have no clue. Then they raised the car on lift and performed subframe shift. After that issue again persisted, then they again performed subframe shift and told me that issue is resolved. However when I drove the car, the issue is lessened but not gone completely and moreover the entire steering feel is gone, the steering feels heavy when turning left and light when turning right. However after spending 4-5 hours, they said no sir, steering is like this only, but I am sure this has to do with subframe shift they have done. I have no clue what to do now. The whole new car experience has turned into a horror story. @GTO and mods, if you can make it a new thread, kindly do it. Also @GTO, mods or any member can share contact details of senior VW people, kindly share, as I think only VW technicians may be able to identify and correct the issue, as asc people are clueless
I can completely empathise with your situation. I know how frustrating this can be on a brand new car.

Few pointers if they may help you in any way :

1)Firstly, the Subframe has to be put back to its original factory fitted position. The Subframe correction does not apply to this situation where a Wheel Alignment (WA) was messed up most probably because, the " WA Specified Ranges" for VW Taigun & VW Virtus haven't been updated with many dealerships yet.

Most of them still use the values of VW Vento/Polo to perform the WA which is absolutely incorrect given the completely different Platforms of Vento/Polo vs Taigun/Virtus. For some reason, dealerships are still very careless about Wheel Alignments/Balancing which plays the most important role in ride and handling of the vehicle. The technicians aren't bothered about sitting in the vehicle, locking the Steering Wheel (SW) at the right position before making the toe adjustments nor bother to look if correct values required for Wheel Alignment for that particular vehicle are used for alignment. Most of them are absolutely careless and over confident.

2)Secondly, Do not allow the dealership to touch your steering wheel, i.e; removing the SW and allowing them to adjust the position of SW on the splined shaft of the Steering Column. This is the easiest way chosen by the inexperienced, lethargic, inefficient technicians at the dealerships. As long as the SW turns equal number of turns on both sides from center, your SW is absolutely fine and do not encourage anybody to touch the SW .

3)Finally, please go to a good Wheel Alignment shop and make sure they have values of VW Virtus and not that of VW Vento. For Example, Wheel Alignment on a Hunter equipment along with Hunter Road Force Wheel Balancing is the first step in solving your issue.

And the most important next step is getting your 'Steering Angle Sensor" calibrated after a WA at a VW dealership which is absolutely necessary on cars equipped with ESC (Electronic Stability Control). This is to match the steering angle to the vehicle's new thrust line. Unfortunately VW dealerships in India do not have enough knowledge about this and they don't consider this to be a necessity. Be adamant and get this crucial step done. It's done with a VCDS. Otherwise, your Steering Wheel will never give the intended feel and feedback with respect to the tyres. All the above steps will hopefully help in reducing the pull to a great extent on your vehicle. Check this link if it could be of any help. https://www.hunter.com/media-center/...-sensor-reset/

Unfortunately, The Vehicles coming out of VW Factory, Pune are missing out on attention to detail and precision off-late. This shows the lacklustre side of the technicians and management in the factory. 7 out of 10 cars coming out of this factory have seen increase in issues related to Wheel Alignment, Balancing, Calibration and other serious quality issues on the vehicles. Most of the Vehicles are not Aligned properly and Steering Wheels not calibrated before being rolled out of factory. Gone are the days that you don't bother about Wheel Alignment on your brand new car that has just rolled out of factory.

Hope something helps out for you ! Good Luck
teja030 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 12:51   #27
BHPian

So the VW dealership got the machine updated with Virtus values. Below are the alignment results. My query Right caster value is below min. And secondary SAI is totally out of specifications. I don’t have much knowledge about these values, can anybody shed light on these. As per VW manager, for Virtus they only adjust camber and toe.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Virtus: Stubborn left pull from the steering-8b95028cbea74eb59a089a3b2ad8ab59.jpeg  

SolidusSnake is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 14:02   #28
BHPian

Quote:

Subframe shifting is usually done for camber/caster adjustment. It is recommended to not touch camber/caster as it can adversely affect driving dynamics and high speed stability. The only thing they should be adjusting is toe in and toe out.

The camber/caster is considered 'fixed' from factory. Only if you have a major accident it needs to be adjusted. When I took my Polo for wheel alignment at 7k kms, the alignment guys were rambling about how the camber is wrong. I told them to leave it alone, just do the toe adjustments. Haven't faced any issues so far.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidusSnake
So the VW dealership got the machine updated with Virtus values. Below are the alignment results. My query Right caster value is below min. And secondary SAI is totally out of specifications. I don’t have much knowledge about these values, can anybody shed light on these. As per VW manager, for Virtus they only adjust camber and toe.
Just saw your wheel alignment report above. The steering inclination angle (SAI angle) seems to be out of alignment. This is also a 'fixed' angle from factory. This is the angle between the wheel vertical axis and the line that goes through the two ball joints.

Do ask them to double check this after properly calibrating the measuring device. This is serious - it usually means something wrong with the steering column. As usual, this can't be adjusted. If these values are final, ask them to take a look at the steering linkage and make sure everything is perfect. I'm suspecting a bent steering tie rod. The slightly off caster value for front right wheel could be linked to this.

As your car subframe has already been adjusted, that could also have caused the steering axis inclination to be out of spec. Do request the workshop to reset the subframe to it's original position and retake the measurements.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th December 2022 at 17:05. Reason: As requested
vedirah is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 19:10   #29
BHPian

Quote:
How is your car's performance now? Has this Wheel Alignment resolved your pulling issue, straight line drivability and steering position?
Old 10th December 2022, 20:50   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSuri View Post
I feel the issue brother!

Which service centre did you go? I have contacts with VW Capital and VW Noida. You can try any of the two as I found the staff of both the service centres quite helpful.

DM me if you need any help with contacts from these two. However, I can not be 100% sure that they would be able to fix it or not. Hence it would be a hit and try.
Can you share your contact of VW Noida?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks