Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which would you choose if you had to pick one?
Auto-wipers 215 53.35%
Auto-headlamps 188 46.65%
Voters: 403. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2022, 17:33   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto-wipers or Auto-headlamps | If you had to pick one

To be honest, I care for neither features. I have one car with both of these features, and another car with neither of these two features. While I appreciate both these features when driving my first car, it is not that I really miss those when driving the second car. It is a very trivial matter of switching on and off the headlights or wipers myself when needed or not needed, and I do that with muscle memory without even realizing it or finding any need of automation there.

However, if I have to choose one as per the topic of this thread, I would choose automatic wipers over automatic headlamps. The primary reason is the same one mentioned by Aditya, that one has to adjust wiper speeds multiple times during a typical spell of rain, and the auto-wipers take care of that to some extent (but not completely eliminate that - there are times when even with auto-wipers I do not like the speeds they are running at and I end up manually fiddling with the speeds of my auto-wipers).

Last edited by Dr.AD : 18th October 2022 at 17:37.
Dr.AD is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 18:04   #17
BHPian

Voted for Auto wiper as a choice between the two as it is somewhat useful in rainy days. Not that I would miss either of the two much.

But I think "Smart Headlamp" with auto high beam (auto dipper) would be a better option than only a Auto Headlamp. This feature is currently a part of ADAS mostly. Such a shame that a very useful feature is being made a premium one. Headlamp we switch on only once in the evening, unless of course using basement or tunnels frequently. And how many times do we alternate between high and low beam at night time ?. With Led lamps in more use blinding drivers momentarily from opposite direction, nowadays this has become a absolute necessity for convenience and safety in all vehicles.

Last edited by d-g-p : 18th October 2022 at 18:09.
d-g-p is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 18:04   #18
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I would say neither, Better offer more safety features over these, or other features over these. The incremental comfort doesn't seem worth the cost involved in automating the wipers and headlamps, anleast according to me. What every manufacturer should instead provide is rear wiper and washer in SUVs and hatchbacks, which sadly are still restricted to only higher end variants in most cars. For example, the Sonet gets this only in the top-most trim.
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 18:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Voted for "Auto-Headlamps". Reason being Rain sensor has a peculiar issue w.r.t. well sensing the actual Rain or water droplet (dropping onto it from roof either after a shower spell or from remnants of washer fluid). Even if we change the sensitivity of same the issue does persists which can scratch/swirl windshield surface (dry wipe).

Personal experience, have both these features on my car (Yaris)
samsag12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 18:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

If I was hard pressed to care, Auto-Wipers. Headlamps have just 2 clicks, whereas wipers have different numerous speed settings.

In XUV7OO, during light drizzle, instead of regular intermittent speed, I simply keep the wiper switch at "Mist", this setting increases/decreases the intermittence based on car speed.

So, IMO a wiper sensor is better as a driving aid, than a headlamp switch. Factory fitted rain sensors would ANYDAY be preferred over aftermarket ones.

Auto headlamp requires a very simple light sensor to switch on the headlamps, and fitment/removal can be easily (& cheaply) done after-market.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 22:26   #21
BHPian

Voted for auto wipers.

Pune rains are typically, a drizzle at best.
It becomes a pain to continuously keep fiddling with the wipers.
Not having a clear windshield is a serious safety hazard.

Compared to this, headlamps are a one time operation, so I can live without the auto feature.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 00:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

NONE! Are we getting so lazy that we cannot flip/turn a couple of knobs/buttons when we need them

Anyways these things turn on as per what the manufacturer thinks, outside light conditions or intensity of rain, not what you may want for that situation. I want control of these important driver aids as per my liking.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 00:30   #23
BHPian

I voted for auto headlamps only because in my car the auto wipers seems to have a mind of its own. Either wipes too fast when there is barely a drizzle or takes a long time to come back on even when it has started to pour.

Auto headlamps on the other hand are fairly quick to react to darkness. They ecome up the moment I enter an underpass and switch off as soon as there is light. The cornering lights are also quite sensitive.
Old 19th October 2022, 08:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Auto wipers since I have no issues running with my lights on all the time. Just need to remember to switch them off when I switch off the car
Old 19th October 2022, 14:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have both on my Ecosport and will choose auto wipers over auto headlamps anyday.

The calibration of the auto wipers is spot on and there is even a sensitivity setting which can be adjusted (e.g need higher sensitivity at night).

I find the auto headlamps turning on way too early and hence keep it in manual mode most of the time. I wish there was a sensitivity setting for this too.
Old 19th October 2022, 14:35   #26
BHPian

None, I like to have some control.
attinder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 17:16   #27
BHPian

I drove with right hand on the steering wheel and left hand on the gear lever, all the way till I reach top gear post which I place both hands on the steering wheel only (top gear is very rare inside the city). So for the cars I drive, the headlights stalk is on the right, so I use my forefinger to switch it on.
Switching on wipers needs me to move my left hand from its very comfortable position on the armrest and gear lever. So i voted for auto-wipers, so that I can continue to be a lazy bum while driving cars.
PS: I've never owned a car when the stalk placement were reversed (like in VAG cars).

Last edited by Small Bot : 19th October 2022 at 17:20.
Small Bot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 18:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

Voted for auto headlamps since auto wipers do smear the windscreen while following the tyre spray of the vehicle in front (it does not spray the windscreen washer automatically in such circumstances)

Auto headlamps on the other hand come on (and go off) perfectly well requiring no intervention
Old 19th October 2022, 18:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

The question: Would you prefer the manufacturer to skimp on rain sensor* or the light sensor?
My answer: I don't care.

* I would care if the car had a sunroof and if the manufacturer can autoclose the the sunroof if it rains.
Old 19th October 2022, 20:36   #30
BHPian

Doesn't matter whether the car has these options or not. But it would be great if the car makers can provide an 'Intermittent' option for the rear wiper. Unless you are in bumper to bumper traffic in heavy rains, the rear wiper doesn't require continuous operation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks