Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which would you choose if you had to pick one?
Auto-wipers 215 53.35%
Auto-headlamps 188 46.65%
Voters: 403. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2022, 22:15   #76
BHPian

Re: Auto-wipers or Auto-headlamps | If you had to pick one

My car doesn’t have either of them and I’m ok with it, I can live without them, in fact the higher version of my XL6 has auto headlamps and still I didn’t go for that variant because I like to control the headlamps myself.
For example waiting at the red light at night don’t need headlamps to be on, I hate it when the others keep them on at stand still.
But given a choice I would rather prefer auto wipers (I voted for that), it can be a God sent with there are sudden unexpected showers.
However for others I would prefer auto headlamps because there are a lot of idiots on road who don’t know when it’s time to switch them on.
In my apartment basement I got the board installed to keep the lights on, but there are still a lot of educated morons who thinks otherwise.
B-Taurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 23:07   #77
BHPian

I care for neither. My car doesn't have any of these and I have never really felt the need of them. I don't even use the automatic climate control that my car has. All it does it controls the fan speed and I prefer to keep the fan speed at 3 bars when hot and later at one bar (slowest speed). Wipers also I like to set my own speed. Headlights have to be turned on only once. Two things that I would prefer being automatic - seat adjustment with memory and auto closing tail gate. It's a pain to get back to my preferred position after I give the car to a valet. Be able to close the tailgate without getting out of the car would be nice.
Old 21st October 2022, 00:12   #78
BHPian

It's a debate entirely based on personal choice because both functions can be easily configured manually. So it boils down to user preference.

As an owner of a car having both these functions, felt the Auto Wiper is more error prone than Auto headlamp. Many a time, the Wiper goes either too fast or too slow. On the other hand, there were 0 bugs in the headlamp turning on/off. The light sensor perfectly detected the light and multiple functions depend on this like Auto headlamp, Auto IRVM, Android Auto maps day/night theme etc.

If I may suggest, what we need direly in Indian roads is the Auto high beam. I think many will agree to this.
darthvader001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 01:14   #79
BHPian

Voted for Auto wipers as that was a boon for my moonsoon drives, it really worked wonderfully.

Plus, that satisfying click I get when I turn on the light with this VW switch dial. Yes, I do feel the lack of auto switch when going in through a tunnel or something.

But between these two, Auto wipers is my preference.
Old 21st October 2022, 06:45   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved out from the Assembly Line & voted for auto-wipers. Thanks for sharing! With the way prices are climbing today, OEMs should just offer both & close the matter .
I agree with GTO. After intensive usage of both I find Auto-Wipers more convenient than Auto-Headlamps.

Anyways, my Nexon top model has got both so...
FireBlade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 09:30   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

I have got them both in my car but seldom use them at all. IMO both are useless.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 09:37   #82
BHPian

Voted for Auto Headlamps - many educated folks do not turn on their parking lights/headlights on between dusk & dawn or in tunnels, or when its raining, etc. An auto feature will definitely help other motorists. Whereas auto wipers will only help the driver of that car
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 12:57   #83
Senior - BHPian

While auto wipers are great, if given a choice between the two I'll choose the headlamp if I can't have both.

I've had both in some of my cars, and Auto Headlamps win hands down on being useful. When you're entering a dark cellar parking or a underpass/ tunnel with insufficient lighting, the instant illumination from auto headlamps is a boon. You do not have to adjust to the darkness (and readjust to the brightness in case of a tunnel or underpass), or anticipate to flip on your headlamp whenever you go into your cellar to park or come out of the parking.
Old 21st October 2022, 15:16   #84
BHPian

Auto-headlamps would make more sense personally. Auto-wipers in every situation would not be helpful.

For example, on certain highways, there were threats of people throwing eggs on the windscreen and looting people. Now, wipers aren't supposed to be used at that time, but the auto-wipe feature will anyways do it.

The split decision in hypothetical situations like this tilts me to auto-headlamps. But truth be told, I believe auto-low beams and high-beam are more required than headlamps. Most of the drivers don't even know low beam exists.
chinmaypillay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 16:00   #85
BHPian

Have both and my experience is a mixed bag with wipers.

Auto-Headlamp is pretty useful for European weather and I don't touch the settings at all, it's 99% accurate and I might have changed it once or twice manually in last 18 months.

Coming to the auto wipers - it kinda doesnt work for my liking. They end up being too slow or too fast for me depending on the situation. Needs some fiddling around till I find the correct setting and I just leave it then. Only good thing is the plethora of configurations Mazda has provided to set it up.
Old 21st October 2022, 17:06   #86
BHPian

I voted for Auto wipers.

I used to always think auto wipers were gimicky. But I have to admit I find it quite convenient not to have to adjust the wiper speed during rain. I don’t like it when it gets too fast like hi setting though, at that time I switch to manual Low. Otherwise in moderate rain I find it quite useful not having to adjust the wiper settings. It’s also convenient that when left in auto mode the rear wiper comes on when engaging reverse gear, would have been nice to have the rear wiper also sensor based.

As for Auto headlamps - like many others I feel we would anyway turn on the lights during low light conditions

But nevertheless my Taigun topline has both of these equipped and they are both left on auto mode which I find convenient. Also keeping the auto mode on headlight helps when parking in dark spots when locking and unlocking the car as well.

But VW should have provided a telltale sign for the fog lamp ON - many a times I forget this leading to me driving with the headlights on in the morning, I realise this only when dark mode appears on google maps navigation or when I see the headlight reflection on the vehicle ahead.
Old 21st October 2022, 18:35   #87

Can't vote yet but would anyday prefer automatic wipers over automatic headlights mainly because you need to keep changing the speed of the wipers depending on the rain whereas the headlights are either on or off and don't need constant change or fiddling
Old 22nd October 2022, 18:12   #88
BHPian

Voted for auto-vipers.

If i have to choose, the convenience of auto vipers is slightly more than the head lamps as fiddling with the viper control and speed when driving while raining is more irritating to me than switching on and off the head lamps when needed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks