Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2022, 21:24   #1

Used ZF transmission oil in my VW DSG | Is it okay?

Hello everyone on Team BHP. I own a Volkswagen Vento Diesel with a 7-speed DSG transmission (DQ200).
Few days ago i had my car's dual mass fly wheel replaced by a local mechanic in our town.

I went with a local mechanic because the service centre asked around 75000 rupees for this job however, this job was done by a local mechanic for only 25000 rupees. Because I purchased the flywheel online for 16500 rupees and the mechanic's labour was 8000 rupees.

What's the issue, the mechanic drained the vehicle's transmission oil while changing the flywheel I'm not sure if this was required or not, but the mechanic said that it was. I asked my mechanic will original VW transmission oil be available in this small town? the mechanic confirmed that original VW transmission oil is available at Arora Motor Parts, after that mechanic replaced the flywheel and properly assembled the gearbox. He asked me to go to Arora motor parts and buy the 2 litre automatic transmission oil but when i went to Arora motor parts they told me that Volkswagen's original transmission oil is out of stock now, so they suggested ZF transmission oil for my car but i asked for genuine Volkswagen transmission oil they said it is unavailable at the time.

In search of genuine transmission oil, i went to every spare parts store in town, but no one had genuine Volkswagen transmission oil. I returned to my mechanic in the garage, and he told me, that the ZF oil which is available at Arora motor parts is the original one, and you can use it as an alternative to VW transmission oil, he told me that ZF company provides transmission oils to the Volkswagen group. I was helpless at the time because the service center was 170 kilometers away from my city, i also called the service center and requested the required oil, but they told me that they could not sell any parts outside the workshop.

Because there was no other alternative, I asked the mechanic to fill the ZF oil. I drove my car 400 kilometers after adding that oil. but i haven't had any issues with that oil or with gear shifting , gear shift is smooth and accurate. I politely ask all members to advice me whether this oil is suitable for my gearbox or should i change it asap. According to the mechanic i can use this oil for at least 35000 kms. This is the first time i am getting my car's transmission oil changed. Members' opinions are welcome

Below are photos of the Transmission oil used in the car
Attached Thumbnails
Used ZF transmission oil in my VW DSG | Is it okay?-20221027_104411.jpg  

Used ZF transmission oil in my VW DSG | Is it okay?-20221027_104350.jpg  

Used ZF transmission oil in my VW DSG | Is it okay?-20221027_104557.jpg  

Used ZF transmission oil in my VW DSG | Is it okay?-20221027_104240.jpg  

Used ZF transmission oil in my VW DSG | Is it okay?-20221027_104526.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st October 2022 at 16:51. Reason: Para space added for better reading
TDI_Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 00:18   #2
BHPian

re: Used ZF transmission oil in my VW DSG | Is it okay?

VW DSG transmission fluid is different from the oil you have used.
Digital Vampire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 10:59   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Used ZF transmission oil in my VW DSG | Is it okay?

With a gearbox as complex as the DSG and one with a high failure rate, it would be risky to deviate from VW's recommendations. In fact, VW had in the middle changed the recommended oil to another grade too. I would strongly recommend you source your DSG fluid from a VW dealer or a reliable independent shop which will give you the OEM stuff.

Related Thread (DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox)
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 11:22   #4
BHPian

Please contact your VW sevice center and ask for the part number for the required oil. A quick google search suggests that the number is G052512A2 and seems to be available online at gomechanic.com. https://gomechanic.in/spares/PBS4U330P6-transm-oil. Then again, contact the dealership and make sure that this is the same oil VW uses for DQ200 in India currently.
corvus corax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 13:08   #5
ike
BHPian

You have not mentioned what grade the ZF oil is and what grade is recommended by OEM. If this is the same I'd sleep a little better but with a DSG you can never be too careful.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 14:35   #6
BHPian

This ZF fluid is a low viscosity ATF.

Not sure what's the factory oil specs, but my guess is it should be fine.
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 14:58   #7
Team-BHP Support

The ZF oil used is for Mercedes 722.9 torque converter applications. You need a dual clutch gear oil, be it an original VW oil or even aftermarket such as liqui moly, motul or rowe. Change it asap!
Akshay1234 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 16:01   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Everything to me feels confusing/wrong. The DSG DQ200 has separate oils for the mechatronic unit as well as the gearbox. They don't mix with each other and are completely different fluids. While the gearbox oil is a viscous oil, the mechatronic oil is hydraulic fluid which is not viscous. And the ZF ATF fluid you purchased is similar to neither.

This is again different from the wet clutch DSGs that is used which circulate the same transmission oil in the mechatronic also for which you use dual clutch oils.

So, if the mechanic has drained the gearbox oil, then refill it with VW G052512A2 https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-tran...n_oil-5204053/

If the mechanic has drained the mechatronic oil(unlikely) then fill it up with VW central hydraulic/power steering fluid. https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-hydraulic_oil-5201228/

Last edited by audioholic : 9th January 2023 at 16:27.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 16:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
With a gearbox as complex as the DSG and one with a high failure rate, it would be risky to deviate from VW's recommendations.
Exactly in line with what my ex-SA, who is now with Skoda, said yesterday when I asked him about the reliability of the DSG gearbox. Skoda cars last long when correctly serviced - this will mean servicing on time and at the A.S.S. Not sure why he also mentioned about the battery to be from Skoda.

Considering that VW/Skoda pretty much use the same parts, his points would be applicable to VW's too.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 09:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

It might have the same number of gears but ZF oil is meant for torque converter automatics afaik. Not sure why any mechanic who knows how to repair a dual clutch automatic would recommend it for a DCT.

I would always recommend sourcing hard to find parts either online or from creating a fuss at the dealership until they give in and agree to sell it to you.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 11:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Since the gearbox is fixed and if you are worried I would suggest to just go and change the oil from VM. OE is always better especially for German's.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 10th January 2023 at 11:38.
Old 10th January 2023, 12:22   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Exactly in line with what my ex-SA, who is now with Skoda, said yesterday when I asked him about the reliability of the DSG gearbox. Skoda cars last long when correctly serviced - this will mean servicing on time and at the A.S.S. Not sure why he also mentioned about the battery to be from Skoda.

Considering that VW/Skoda pretty much use the same parts, his points would be applicable to VW's too.
If only the gearbox lasts till the next scheduled service

The DSG failures are well documented in our forum, ask that fellow to spare some time to read through them. Skoda as usual will blame the customer, quality of fuel, quality of road, quality of electricity from the same battery made by Amaron etc.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 13:06   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The DSG failures are well documented in our forum, ask that fellow to spare some time to read through them..
Everyone goes with the info he has. This person has been with the Skoda dealership for many years now, and would have seen the cars at the service centres, including the problems. My relationship with him has been such that I used to hand over my car, and come away without even a job-card being created. Over the years that he took care of my car at that dealership, never have I had to complain. On the other hand, I have actually written to the MD of the dealership complimenting his work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks