Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2022, 23:30   #1

Water pump failure | Skoda Octavia

So, after a lovely 4.5 years of absolutely trouble-free ownership, I have come across my 1st issue with the EA888 Gen3 engine, in the shape of coolant leak.

A quick background:
I drove to Hassan on work a few days back, taking the lovely Hassan highway out of Bengaluru. (Apart from a few under-construction sections close to Hassan, the road is a dream - a superb mix of straights & twisties & nicely laid out asphalt). Before embarking on my return journey, I popped open the hood & was surprised to see the low levels of coolant (pic attached).

I spoke to a knowledgeable person, topped up the reservoir with distilled water & returned to Bangalore. When I checked after a couple of more days, the coolant level had again dropped a bit.

I got the issue checked by Mithun from Forza Automotives (a reliable & knowledgeable SKODA FNG, if you want to look up one in South Bangalore) & the issue has provisionally been diagnosed as a possible water pump/thermostat failure.
Water pump failure | Skoda Octavia-img0487.jpg

Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 3001
Size:  38.0 KB

And to top it all, such was my seamless ownership till now, that I did not bother investing in extended warranties So many questions swirling around in my head now:
[list][*]Does it really require a replacement or is there a fix around it?[*]Can I somehow cajole SKODA to offer a good-will replacement?[*] What is the likelihood of it recurring again?[*] Any possible preventive measures?

Will be grateful to tap into the reservoir of knowledge available with the group.
amitmanjul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 01:55   #2
BANNED

re: Water pump failure | Skoda Octavia

You should Replace it urgently with the updated design. Water pump-thermostat is a common point of failure in these , if replaced with the updated one you should be good to go for a long time.
agambhandari is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 05:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
You should Replace it urgently with the updated design. Water pump-thermostat is a common point of failure in these , if replaced with the updated one you should be good to go for a long time.
Spot-on. Have it inspected & replaced urgently. Inspect the timing belt too. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4346420 (Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen))

Skoda may offer some goodwill warranty. Ask for it formally & politely but firmly.
itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 08:16   #4
BHPian

I don't know about Skoda, but in my car water pump was replaced at around 60 k kms. It was also leaking coolant little bit, no significant drop in levels.
I got the timing belt replaced too.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 08:58   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmanjul View Post
[list][*]Does it really require a replacement or is there a fix around it?[*]Can I somehow cajole SKODA to offer a good-will replacement?[*] What is the likelihood of it recurring again?[*] Any possible preventive measures?

Will be grateful to tap into the reservoir of knowledge available with the group.
Water pump leak is a known issue in the Octavia / Jetta twins. Have it replaced immediately. It is not repairable.
The pump leak can lead to coolant drip on the timing belt and damage it. Remember to have the timing belt inspected and replace that too if there are signs of damage.
There is no specific preventive measure. Checking coolant level frequently for early detection of a leak and saving the timing belt is the only thing one can do.
cogWheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 17:01   #6

Re: Water pump failure | Skoda Octavia

Thanks for the inputs gentlemen. Basis your advice, I have booked an appointment at Tafe’s for Wednesday.

It will be great to have the coordinates of the right person to reach out for “Goodwill Guarantee “
Old 25th November 2022, 17:09   #7

Re: Water pump failure | Skoda Octavia

Skoda may offer some goodwill warranty. Ask for it formally & politely but firmly.[/quote]

Hi, I am pleased to share that after I put in a request through my SA, the TAFE service centre offered a 70% goodwill discount on materials. I didn’t negotiate further as I quickly needed my car back.

They completed the job in 24 hours, and I am collecting my car tomorrow.

My total expense is coming out to Rs.16035/- This includes Rs.9507 as materials cost and Rs.6527/- as labour charge.(redacted invoice attached for reference).

Hoping for many happy years of driving ahead!!
Attached Thumbnails
Water pump failure | Skoda Octavia-f1276f8e804e47199d9899472ad7b0df.jpeg  

amitmanjul is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks