Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2007, 20:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pics: How a baleno clutch got changed

story in brife:
During the last Shirdi trip noticed she was struggling to climd the ghats towards the end. now she cant climb the slope near my house in peak traffic.
Since i had decided to replace entire clutch setup due engine high reving and clutch comparatively hard in comparision to my friend's baleno i though will share the procedure with fellow baleno owners. so i went off with my camera and was shooting down the sequence of events. As usual mid way the camera battery gave way and had to rely on phone camera. i hope this thread will be useful.
Went to Prakash motors at Milan subway and bought a ceekay clutch set Rs1850 and flywheel Rs750. didnt buy clutch release bearing and cable since both are a year old.last week i removed and fed lot of lubricant to the cable and it got real smooth when operated outside.clutch is a year old but has failed prematurely (20000kms).
That night going through the service manual i realized the clutch plate type specified in book was one containg 4 springs for 1.6 engine and the diagram showed the fingers on clutch housing were shorter. So morning rushed back to Prakash motors and got it replace to a valeo one which came cheaper Rs1650. Rahul was kind enough to replace although eh said the ceekay one is also fine. i wanted to follow the book
took all the spares and went to a known mechanic who has good workshop setup and started....
Old 6th July 2007, 20:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

the pictures

Old 6th July 2007, 20:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

difference between ceekay and valeo clutch. both may be interchangeable but i went for valeo

Last edited by gigy : 6th July 2007 at 20:48.
Old 6th July 2007, 21:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

having bit of trouble with imageshak.... moderators please delete repeat pictures.

this is the ceekay clutch plate with 6 springs

picture of new flywheel
Old 6th July 2007, 22:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

wheel removed

gear box out . found dirty black.

old clutch

after flywheel was removed found oil leak from rear oil seal, why it leaked? did change of oil from semi synthetic to synthetic caused this?
did this cause premature wear.

the old seal

had to rush for new seal, manged to buy from a dealer mgp item Rs130.

new flywheel in place

new clutch in place

gear box cleaned before installation

finally after closeup the drive was as good as ever thanks to propoer installation ans clutch setting by me mechanic.
so for baleno owners you can change the rear seal along with clutch change to prevent damages due oil leak or due to change of oil.
Old 6th July 2007, 22:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

wonderful a picture is worth a 1000 or 10k words .Thanks for putting the pics , other should follow the same when reporting a error.
Old 6th July 2007, 22:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good picture tutorial,man.
Btw,Why did u need to change the flywheel??
Old 6th July 2007, 22:46   #8
BHPian

Great info there gigy..

I too need a clutch change soon.. this pictorial has really helped..

Just need a few clarifications..
Is the Valeo clutch you have the same as the "Valeo Performance Clutch"??

Why did you need to change the flywheel, as nitrous has already posted..

I believe there's a graphite ring which is an integral part of the clutch assembly, was that changed too?

thanks in advance..

cheers!
Shrivz...
Old 6th July 2007, 23:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

With earlier clutch setup had a sort of rubbing vibration when in 3 to 5k band which was felt on gear stick. This was there before and after clutch replacement last year. I had a feeling that since one side of clutch plate is very smooth (because its new) and other side the fly wheel has crossed 45k life could cause dynamic unbalance sort of thing. Due to this reason and when it cost only Rs750, i decided to get the flywheel also changed. now both side of plate is new and ultra smooth.
could have done disk cutting on the flywheel and got a performance mod called lightened flywheel but decided aganist it. since there is a basic problem of kr..kr...kr at high rev still not diagnosed. after replacement of full setup the smoothness is worth it.
i will recommend buying the engine rear end seal as its cheap(Rs130) and for older cars there could be leak.
if you have to replace this seal seperately it calls for removal of entire clutch and gear box. if its replacement is not required it can be returned.
shrivz,
are you refering to the clutch plate which has those graphite kind of black surface on both side? its part of the clutch package along with clutch cover.
this is not the valeo performance one, as the car is mostly city driven and bumper to bumper i prefer a soft clutch.
Old 7th July 2007, 10:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

forgot to mention labour charges Rs650.
here is the manual reference. which tells about number of springs in clutch plate-

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...yk/clutch2.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...yk/clutch1.jpg
Old 7th July 2007, 12:05   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Gigy, I was just checking through a few spare parts lying at home. And yes the baleno clutches are indeed with 4 springs.
Old 7th July 2007, 12:49   #12
BHPian

nice info there gigy
hope u have used grease to lubricate the cable and Not oil.
Old 8th July 2007, 17:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

tried inserting grease into the clutch cable but it didn't go inside due to very less gap. cant remove the cable out of housing since one end is crimped . didnt want to cut it off and recrimp as i don't think it will be as strong as factor one. so filled the housing with liquid lubricant and in both ends pushed in grease. dont know if it will work but so far its very soft.
Old 8th July 2007, 23:14   #14
BHPian

Good post gigy. Did you feel any jerking/vibrations (which we feel on clutch pedal) while shifting before this change of clutch ?
Old 9th July 2007, 00:03   #15
BHPian

I'm referring to a graphite ring which sits over the clutch's fingers on one side (i think the outer side) when the clutch is engaged.. please correct me if i'm wrong here.. not sure about this technical detail...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks