Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2022, 15:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 3GT (F34) Brake noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Better to stop worrying about it. This is a very common issue with cars having big brakes. I too face this issue (brake noise when coming to a slow stop - like approaching a toll gate) and learned to live with it after few futile attempts to get it fixed.

Based on what I read, you can't have all these in a brake pad: dust-free, high-performance, quiet, long-life. My hypothesis is that OEMs prioritise performance and long-life over other two.
Looks like I will have to live with it, hoping a disc change (along with pads change) should solve my issue.
Old 17th June 2023, 10:12   #17
BHPian

Has the squealing stopped in your brakes?

I am living with it for the last 4 months in my 1.5 years old XUV700. Did change my brake pads, once the squealing started.

Service advisors claim that it is common in Automatic cars. They did try to clean the brakes once but absolutely no remedy. The squealing started during the drive back home.

It is very frustrating as well as embarrassing especially in basement parking where the squealing is very loud.
Old 19th June 2023, 16:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus_700 View Post
Has the squealing stopped in your brakes?

I am living with it for the last 4 months in my 1.5 years old XUV700. Did change my brake pads, once the squealing started.

Service advisors claim that it is common in Automatic cars. They did try to clean the brakes once but absolutely no remedy. The squealing started during the drive back home.

It is very frustrating as well as embarrassing especially in basement parking where the squealing is very loud.
Oh yeah - it finally stopped!

How? Got them to change the discs & pads!

Before this - the discs were skimmed as well -- No respite.

It's about 500 kms since the disc+pad change. Hopefully I've rid myself of the brake-squeal demon!

If not - I will consider this as my speciality and live with it

Last edited by Shubz : 19th June 2023 at 16:20. Reason: Caps.
Old 21st June 2023, 17:08   #19
BHPian

If not - I will consider this as my speciality and live with it [/quote]

Thanks for the reply Shubz. Let me see if I am going to get stuck with this or getting a long term fix. Pushing hard with the Service Center Manager to provide a stable fix here.

Last edited by zeus_700 : 21st June 2023 at 17:10.
Old 4th January 2024, 11:06   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Oh yeah - it finally stopped!

How? Got them to change the discs & pads!

Before this - the discs were skimmed as well -- No respite.

It's about 500 kms since the disc+pad change. Hopefully I've rid myself of the brake-squeal demon!

If not - I will consider this as my speciality and live with it
Hi Shubz,

I am going through the same problem. Did it resolve for you eventually? and what solution worked for you?

Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 12:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toruk View Post
Hi Shubz,

I am going through the same problem. Did it resolve for you eventually? and what solution worked for you?

Thanks
Hey buddy,

Tell me details of your issue? is it exactly the same as mine? What vehicle?

Nothing worked for me yet - they changed the discs & pads under warranty.

It worked for a bit but the noise is back again. This time I have gotten the high-temp grease on the non-friction part of pads. Will run it for sometime and see if that resolves. Else I have asked for a complete overhaul of the caliper assembly next time.

Last option - change the caliper housing entirely.
Old 4th January 2024, 13:02   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Hey buddy,

Tell me details of your issue? is it exactly the same as mine? What vehicle?

Nothing worked for me yet - they changed the discs & pads under warranty.

It worked for a bit but the noise is back again. This time I have gotten the high-temp grease on the non-friction part of pads. Will run it for sometime and see if that resolves. Else I have asked for a complete overhaul of the caliper assembly next time.

Last option - change the caliper housing entirely.
The sound I observe is exactly the same as yours. I just drove the vehicle from Mumbai to Bangalore couple of days ago and observed this sound in the second half of the journey.

Regarding the vehicle - It's a pre-loved 3 series GT 2016 and the warranty is already over for this. I'm happy to pay for a solution to this as long as I can be sure it works. However, based on your reply, I think I'll learn to live with it.

I am also facing an issue where the breaking power is not as good as I would expect to be for a machine of this calibre ( I literally get goosebumps when the foot hits the accelerator ). I'm planning to pay a visit to the service center and get the braking checked.

On a separate note, would love to remain in touch with a fellow GT owner. Do DM me your contact details if you'd be ok with it ( I don't think I'm allowed to DM since I have just recently joined the forum despite following it for years now )
Old 4th January 2024, 14:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toruk View Post
The sound I observe is exactly the same as yours. I just drove the vehicle from Mumbai to Bangalore couple of days ago and observed this sound in the second half of the journey.

Regarding the vehicle - It's a pre-loved 3 series GT 2016 and the warranty is already over for this. I'm happy to pay for a solution to this as long as I can be sure it works. However, based on your reply, I think I'll learn to live with it.

I am also facing an issue where the breaking power is not as good as I would expect to be for a machine of this calibre ( I literally get goosebumps when the foot hits the accelerator ). I'm planning to pay a visit to the service center and get the braking checked.

On a separate note, would love to remain in touch with a fellow GT owner. Do DM me your contact details if you'd be ok with it ( I don't think I'm allowed to DM since I have just recently joined the forum despite following it for years now )
Neither am I allowed to DM you. it says -- Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails. If you still wish to send an email to this user, please contact the administrator and they may be able to help.

You may write to me on n.shubz28@gmail.com

Yeah take it to the service centre and show it to them. If you are going to KUN Exclusive Hosur Road - everyone will know me by name / this issue

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks