Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2022, 15:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW 3GT (F34) Brake noise

Hey guys,

Anyone experienced a whining noise while braking on the F34?
Particularly when braking on slow speeds like as in approaching a speed bump or while negotiating a curve.?
I was facing this issue. SA said may be cos of brake pads.
Subsequently the front pads were changed.
Calipers greased
Oil bled.
Things were ok for a couple of thousand kms and now that sound is back.
Kms run - 25k

Thanks in advance!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 15:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 3GT (F34) Brake noise

This sounds like brake squeal. A dab of anti squeal paste on the rear backing plate of the brake pads and contact area of pad with caliper should fix it.
DRIV3R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 15:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
This sounds like brake squeal. A dab of anti squeal paste on the rear backing plate of the brake pads and contact area of pad with caliper should fix it.
Sir, as mentioned earlier, pads are new, so all greasing is taken care of. this was present even before the brake pad change. after the change, all was quiet on that front until the last weekend when the noise returned when on my trip to Kundapura & back.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th June 2023 at 16:17. Reason: break —> brake
Old 21st December 2022, 17:20   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

No matter what you do, it will start again if you do a Mysore to Ooty through Masinagudi

This video is the official explanation about that sort of noise.

Kosfactor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 18:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
No matter what you do, it will start again if you do a Mysore to Ooty through Masinagudi

That's a very good explanation. I am curious to know if there are others who are facing a similar issue?

and on a lighter note -- why me!!
Old 21st December 2022, 18:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Sir, as mentioned earlier, pads are new, so all greasing is taken care of. this was present even before the break pad change. after the change, all was quiet on that front until the last weekend when the noise returned when on my trip to Kundapura & back.
Greasing is different. It's done to the caliper sliding pins. Anti squeal paste application is different. It is used specifically to arrest this squealing noise. Greasing has nothing to do with squeal.

FYI, some brake pads do come with deadening material on the backing plate. That is also to arrest squealing. Here is a picture of one such set of pads.

Name:  IMG20221221WA0005.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  28.7 KB
DRIV3R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 11:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Greasing is different. It's done to the caliper sliding pins. Anti squeal paste application is different. It is used specifically to arrest this squealing noise. Greasing has nothing to do with squeal.

FYI, some brake pads do come with deadening material on the backing plate. That is also to arrest squealing. Here is a picture of one such set of pads.
A friend of mine who was with Bosch suggested something similar. some Silent or Quiet brake pads. But the issue is - it won't be OEM - and vehicle still under BSI/BRI - so can't try anything.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 11:33   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A friend of mine who was with Bosch suggested something similar. some Silent or Quiet brake pads. But the issue is - it won't be OEM - and vehicle still under BSI/BRI - so can't try anything.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-lubr...licon-7262887/

Apply the above paste as a film on the back of brake pads. If the pads come with anti noise shims, remove the shim and apply the paste and put the shims back on. This should eliminate any noise caused due to pad vibration during braking.

refer this video for how to

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 22nd December 2022 at 11:36.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 12:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-lubr...licon-7262887/

Apply the above paste as a film on the back of brake pads. If the pads come with anti noise shims, remove the shim and apply the paste and put the shims back on. This should eliminate any noise caused due to pad vibration during braking.
Thank you Sagar.

Problem is - they will not move a thing unless
1) there's a warning on the iDrive
2) unless there's a breakdown.

Secondly -- i was wondering if anyone else has faced a similar issue.
Old 25th December 2022, 11:51   #10
BANNED

Quote:
I am curious to know if there are others who are facing a similar issue?
I faced this issue. I fixed it. By not thinking about it. Now I don’t even hear it.

By the way, I followed the exact protocol prescribed by the head SA at Honda - “Sir…aap bhool jao isko. Life better ho jaayega. (Sir…. Forget this issue; your life will become better.)”

Dude was 100% on point.
mohansrides is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 13:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

]
It’s only a partial explanation. Of course, this explanation is true and it interesting to see how Porsche tries to minimise the squeal.

It doesn’t explain how this squeal sometimes disappears and reappears. Vibration is a function of mass, so lots of dirt build up might chance the resonance frequency a bit. Over time discs wear down and loose a considerable amount of their mass and thus resonate at different frequency.

Part of the Squeal can be coming from the piston on the back of the piston, and or the sides of the pad. So applying some copperslip or ceramic paste might get rid of it.

On my Jaguar I get these squeals very very occasionally. I have found that certain pads make it worse, or better. My current pads rarely give me any problems. And it can be fixed by taking the pads off, cleaning evererything and remounting themwith copperslip on the appropriate touchpoints.

What also might help is to very lightly file down the spots on the calliper where the side of the pads touch. The idea being the smoother the surface the less friction and the less likely something will make anodise when resonating.

What is important and relevant is of course, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your brakes when this happens. It is just annoying, and you can to a good extend minimise it. Most brakes don’t squeal, so there is hope!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 10:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Part of the Squeal can be coming from the piston on the back of the piston, and or the sides of the pad. So applying some copperslip or ceramic paste might get rid of it.

On my Jaguar I get these squeals very very occasionally. I have found that certain pads make it worse, or better. My current pads rarely give me any problems. And it can be fixed by taking the pads off, cleaning evererything and remounting themwith copperslip on the appropriate touchpoints.

What also might help is to very lightly file down the spots on the calliper where the side of the pads touch. The idea being the smoother the surface the less friction and the less likely something will make anodise when resonating.
The copperslip thing was tried and it works for sometime and then the squeal is back again. But as you rightly said - there is no impact on the brakes, brakes work just about fine. It's just that whine that annoys and it stays on the mind, given the quietness inside the cabin.

My Honda city that's run almost 78k doesn't whine.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th June 2023 at 16:19. Reason: Please use caps where necessary.
Old 27th December 2022, 23:02   #13
BHPian

Quote:

my Honda city that's run almost 78k doesn't whine.
My 107k run Honda City doesn't whine either. But my Octavia did when it was new, more so when it rained. It was an irritating noise. It went away after a few thousand kms.

Take your car to an expert FNG. They'll figure it out quickly.
evil_grin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 10:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
My 107k run Honda City doesn't whine either. But my Octavia did when it was new, more so when it rained. It was an irritating noise. It went away after a few thousand kms.

Take your car to an expert FNG. They'll figure it out quickly.
The vehicle is under BSI/BRI - and if the FNG guys put up an extra scratch anywhere -- will only give a reason to the dealer to deny any service/warranty claims

So on my approx 800 plus round trip - this was ringing in my ears on the onward journey, mostly forgotten on the return journey.

I still wonder - same set (almost) on most cars - why only some whine - be it a Honda or a BMW -- and WHY MINE!!
Old 30th December 2022, 11:13   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
and WHY MINE!!
Better to stop worrying about it. This is a very common issue with cars having big brakes. I too face this issue (brake noise when coming to a slow stop - like approaching a toll gate) and learned to live with it after few futile attempts to get it fixed.

Based on what I read, you can't have all these in a brake pad: dust-free, high-performance, quiet, long-life. My hypothesis is that OEMs prioritise performance and long-life over other two.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks