Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2007, 18:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Aftermarket AC in VW Beetle

I am in the process of aquiring a VW Beetel which is in mint condition & FIRST OWNER since the late 60's early 70's. My only apprehension is that this being an aircooled engine (done 75k on the odometer) - can an airconditioner be fitted in this car ??

There are divergent views I have heard - some say it is impossible & others claim it is totally possible. So basically i am It would be nice if somebody who has any first hand experiance on a similar matter - can advice or share views on the subject.

Any help will be sincerely appreciated

Cheers
Old 8th July 2007, 18:31   #2
BHPian

Wow a VW Beetle.. Yeah putting an aftermarket a/c wouldnt be a problem, but to direct the airflow the car's a/c vents would be a problem if the car already has a/c vents..

If it doesn't have a/c vents, putting the entire a/c shouldn't be a problem I feel. The VW Beetle should be able to handle the extras of fitting an a/c.

Just my thoughts!

A
Old 8th July 2007, 20:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would say "keep it stock".
Old 8th July 2007, 20:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
and keep it as stock as it will good in the original state
Old 8th July 2007, 20:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ask GTO. He fitted an aftermarket aircon onto his Classic. I don't know if the car has the power to support an aircon though.

Here's a thought: why don't you put a better engine in it?
Old 8th July 2007, 21:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree, even if the engine can handle an aftermarket Aircon,, why ruin the original look ?
Old 8th July 2007, 21:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Beetles did come with factory fitted ACs, but those were later models. What model is yours exactly? What engine does it have? An original AC wouldnt be as problematic, but an aftermarket one is a strict no no according to me. It'll be plenty of trial and error, it will never give you the performance you need, and youll mess the car in the bargain. And from your descriptions its hard to find clean original cars. Id love to see it...pics please!
Old 8th July 2007, 21:26   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Here's a thought: why don't you put a better engine in it?
whats your idea of a better engine in a beetle?
Old 8th July 2007, 21:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well I know someone with a DOHC Honda in one. Very nice, that.
Old 8th July 2007, 21:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

if i am not wrong this car would not be your daily commuter, i think it would be your sunday car. in that case you better keep it in stock.
Old 8th July 2007, 22:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
my nanaji also owns a blue beetle all original
he was once given a choice of putting a gypsy engine in it he refused the offer

putting an a/c would ruin the car and it would be a very difficult task
Old 9th July 2007, 10:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Beetles did come with factory fitted ACs, but those were later models. What model is yours exactly? What engine does it have? An original AC wouldnt be as problematic, but an aftermarket one is a strict no no according to me. It'll be plenty of trial and error, it will never give you the performance you need, and youll mess the car in the bargain. And from your descriptions its hard to find clean original cars. Id love to see it...pics please!

This is a '69 model. The only issue is in our weather it is next to impossible to drive it without the A/C...the heat is one part the other part is the dust in Delhi. If one can source the newer model OE a/c maybe that will work out.

Even I dont want to ruin the classic by doing anything drastic to it.

Engine swap is a no no - the stock engine is in good shape. I just need to paint it - if at all...

The pics will follow soon

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 9th July 2007 at 10:37.
Old 9th July 2007, 10:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally posted by Manikjeet
putting an a/c would ruin the car and it would be a very difficult task

The (old) VW Beetle is a masterpiece of engineering designed by Ferdinand Porsche.
It would be sacrilege to modify/alter it in any way if it is in original condition.

Having said that, a lot of the Beetles running around in India (well, some of the ones I have seen) have had a lot of alterations/patches/non-original work done to them and the mechanicals have been so changed that these cars can hardly be called Beetles any more!

I'm no engineer but I think (I used to own a 1961 Beetle), the flat-four air cooled engine in the Beetle is so precisely designed and fitted in the car that any modification will be very difficult. Several years ago when the voltage regulator on my 6 volt car conked out we could not even fit another make of regulator in the original position on top of the dynamo. Fitting another pulley and compressor, evaporator, fan, Etc will be very difficult.
Old 9th July 2007, 12:17   #14
Team-BHP Support

it will be a difficult task since its a rear engine air cooled car. the ac grill will be a pain to fix as well as the car will land up over heating.

one idea is try to see what Reva is using for AC
Old 9th July 2007, 12:29   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
and may we know whether he managed to fit that engine in the rear of the Beetle? Is this in India?

The Beetle engine bay hardly has any space for engine swaps and not many would love to put a liquid / oil cooled engine in that small little bay. Where did he mount the radiator? How did he manage to get the transmission? While all this is possible I wouldn't say its wise to do so!

You know due to design constraints, the fuel pipe in the Beetle runs very close to the distributor of the car which often leads to engine fires (learnt it very recently) . Ricky please be very careful of whatever you do as a mod to Hitlers revenge and I am sure you know Hitlers ideas, dont you?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks