Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2006, 01:59   #1
BHPian

Sluggish Swift, Edit: And other swift speed related queries

Hi,

My new Swift (~1700 km), feels somewhat sluggish, and there is a definite lack of acceleration, especially in the lower rev range (1000-2000 rpm), so that I sometimes have to change gears when it should not normally be necessary. Acceleration in 4th and 5th is practically non-existent from the above rev range, such as when I try to pass a slower car in the city.

The car is always driven with AC on (1-3, rarely 4 on speed dial). Mostly city driving, with some longer distances (especially in the days just after I bought the car). I never ride the clutch, never try to take off in 2nd, and usually do not hesitate to downshift as and when necessary

If I try to keep the rpm in the higher 2K's consistently by modifying my driving style, I sometimes smell a very slight odor like paper burning when the car comes to a standstill and I get out.

Is this normal so early in the game - i. e. will the car get swifter (no pun intended) as it gets a little older - or do I have an issue I need to look into?

Please advise.

By the way, Petrol used is always Premium (HP/IOL).

NPP

Last edited by pillainp : 16th June 2006 at 02:02.
Old 16th June 2006, 02:12   #2
BHPian

Well I have a Swift Vxi , well one thing the car lacks acceleration after the 2nd gear. I believe thats how the swift is, you won't get as much acceleration from the 3rd or higher gears comparatively to what you'll get in the 2nd gear. But it'll fly in 2nd gear.

If you have been driven the first 1700 kms and then realize the difference, then definetly get it checked.

Maybe its the petrol, have u realized this sudden sluggishness after pumping petrol from a different petrol station?

My car goes smooth in 5th gear when i'm driving as slow as 45km/hr, probably because of the high torque.

Where did u purchase ur car from, i bought mine from AVG Thiruvalla, very disappointed with there service.
Old 16th June 2006, 08:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

1: This is a very heavy car

2: Let the engine free up, after 4000 km, I am seeing more power emerging

3: You need to really gun the engine - not advisable until the car is run in
Old 16th June 2006, 08:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

That odour which you are getting...are you sure thats not your handbrake?

Drifter
Old 16th June 2006, 10:16   #5
BHPian

Hey drifter, that's a good thought... actually many people do that mistake...
Old 16th June 2006, 10:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
That odour which you are getting...are you sure thats not your handbrake?

Drifter
Most definitely not.

I have a habit that has resulted in some arguments with my dad, particularly relating to the old Fiat 137D.
I always engage the handbrake whenever I park any car, and the first thing I check off the list after starting the car is disengaging the handbrake.

I actually had a cousin drive my old jeep (CJ500), all the way from Attingal to Trivandrum with the handbrake engaged, a distance of almost 45 km, and he never even noticed the smell or the drag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micraft
If you have been driven the first 1700 kms and then realize the difference, then definetly get it checked.

Maybe its the petrol, have u realized this sudden sluggishness after pumping petrol from a different petrol station?
Where did u purchase ur car from, i bought mine from AVG Thiruvalla, very disappointed with there service.
No, this problem has been there throughout. And as Ajmat says, the engine really needs to be gunned quite a bit.

Petrol only ever from one of two stations: the one near my home and the other at Bakery Jn., Trivandrum.

The car was purchased from Indus Motors, the one on the M. G. Road, Pattom-KDPuram stretch, TVM.
NPP

Last edited by pillainp : 16th June 2006 at 10:45.
Old 16th June 2006, 12:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Drive another Swift and see. If possible a new one.
Old 16th June 2006, 12:15   #8
k36
BHPian

My Swift VXi, 1600km old is definitely sluggish below 2000RPM. Difficult to keep up with stop and go city traffic.
However the sluggishness reduces temporarily after being driven at higher RPMs for some time.. such as on hills or on highway. But it comes back.
I guess driving at higher RPMs even within city once in a while should keep the sluggishness away.. what say?
Old 16th June 2006, 12:29   #9
BHPian

pillainp...from what u say i get, its the smell is from your CLUTCH.Get your clutch checked from any authorised service centre..

The lack of acceleration can be caused from the clutch...

Last edited by streetlife : 16th June 2006 at 12:32.
Old 16th June 2006, 16:07   #10
BHPian

Hi,

My Swift has also done close to 1.5k and I have exactly the same problems as what pillainp has mentioned. The main problem of concern is the slight odour (paper burning) that comes after parking the car.
Also, I have noticed a jerkiness when I am in the 2nd gear (With AC on) and the RPM falls below the 2k mark. (specially after you go over a hump or take a sharp turn). This problem is not that significant when the AC is not switched on. Is this normal?
Old 16th June 2006, 18:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k36
My Swift VXi, 1600km old is definitely sluggish below 2000RPM. Difficult to keep up with stop and go city traffic.
However the sluggishness reduces temporarily after being driven at higher RPMs for some time.. such as on hills or on highway. But it comes back.
I guess driving at higher RPMs even within city once in a while should keep the sluggishness away.. what say?
You're so right. This car feels like a slug at lower rpm (below 2k). Get above that it becomes a real pleasure to drive. My problem with that is 3-figure speeds in fifth, which makes my family decidedly unhappy.

My bro-in-law and I made trip to his home-town (Anchal), and we were zipping along the new M. C. Road at 120-140, all we could hear was the music.

2nd and 3rd are the real meat of the car.

The car feels really stable, but the skinny stock tyres on the VXi are a real pain. It really hurts to see a great corner and not be able to take it well because the tyres wouldn't let you . I am eagerly looking forward to a tyre upsize.

There has been mention of a lifeless steering, but I find I can place the car just where I want it on the curve, no problem at all.

By the way, has anyone noticed a slight dead feeling around 3k rpm when accelerating through, especially in 3rd? Is that just the ECU doing its job?

NPP

Last edited by pillainp : 16th June 2006 at 18:53.
Old 17th June 2006, 01:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psynaps3
Hi,

My Swift has also done close to 1.5k and I have exactly the same problems as what pillainp has mentioned. The main problem of concern is the slight odour (paper burning) that comes after parking the car.
Also, I have noticed a jerkiness when I am in the 2nd gear (With AC on) and the RPM falls below the 2k mark. (specially after you go over a hump or take a sharp turn). This problem is not that significant when the AC is not switched on. Is this normal?
yep....exactly the same problem....
its miserable jes below the 2k mark....have to shift down to 1st, rev upto maybe 3k and shift up again....though now i'm beginning to see a lot of improvement in the acceleration....i've 3000 kms...and now ive begun to see the change....the smell is barely there now.....actually not there at all...so im guessin jes wait for a bit...
FE is MISERABLE!!!! gotta go back n run over the guy who said id get min 13kmpl in city with ac....i get like 9-10...maybe koz of the down shifting all the time???

waitin for my second service...the guy promised better FE after that....
also....does anyone with abs get this really weird scraping sound when u brake suddenly....off late ive noticed that sound when i brake a lil hard...and not even at very high speeds....like my tyres are scrapin against the brakes or something....
Old 17th June 2006, 03:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom
also....does anyone with abs get this really weird scraping sound when u brake suddenly....off late ive noticed that sound when i brake a lil hard...and not even at very high speeds....like my tyres are scrapin against the brakes or something....
I get that sound all the time, what with all the friendly people, autorickshaws and bicyclists, all of whom apparently want to occupy the same point in space that I am currnetly occupying.
The number of jumpers and jaywalkers here, I'm surprised my hair isn't all white yet.

That scraping sound is probably the ABS kicking in under emergency braking. It should be far too soon for your brake pads to wear out on you.

FE-wise, calculations (extremely quick and dirty) once gave me 18+ on a highway trip. Don't know for sure, it's way too early to calculate mileages yet.

NPP

Last edited by pillainp : 17th June 2006 at 03:20.
Old 17th June 2006, 03:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

OK Swift can be slugish and it can be fast, depends on how you drive. I generally take the car to 60 in 2nd and 80 on 3rd and than shift to 4th and 5th depending if I have to accelerate or just cruise.
If you take the car to 4th or 5th at 60, the car will be as slugish as a hand cart.
Old 17th June 2006, 04:07   #15
BHPian

But that's where the problem lies. You can hardly ever reach those speeds in-city.

I'm lucky if I can even touch 40 on a good day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks