Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2007, 23:16   #16
BHPian

jaggu - my office is on mg road, whats the best easily accessible battery showroom to goto, please don't tell me some shop which is difficult to trace in some oneway lane as I havent figured out the one ways of bangalore completely

OT - great way to handle the stupid cabbies at forum
Old 11th July 2007, 09:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

I was going to start a thread on this, as i have exactly the same problem lately. My car too has Sony HU and speakers (but no sub and amp). The Maruti guys told me that its related to the central locking, but i didnt take there word, since the car does start after some repeated attempts. Someone informed me to switch off everything before and after starting the car (ie AC and HU). So far it does seem like switching off HU and AC before and after starting the car did have some positive effect.
Old 11th July 2007, 09:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

when it starts, how much time does the starter take? less than .5 seconds?

if more, it cud be a worn out starter motor. problem is more persistent when the engine compartment is hot. once cooled down, it starts again. i had the same problem.

you may be wrongly associating it to the ICE, think temperature too.
Old 11th July 2007, 09:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
So far it does seem like switching off HU and AC before and after starting the car did have some positive effect.

Starting your car with AC on is definitely not on.
Old 11th July 2007, 09:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

This problem is quite common in scooters with 4-stroke engines. If the piston is at max. compression (just before TDC; Bullet owners will relate to it - decompression lever?), the starter is not able to freely rotate, and the solenoid gives a limp 'click'. That is the over-current protection acting.

Actually the starter IS kicking the drive shaft a bit with each try, so after a couple of tries it overcomes the TDC resistance and turns the shaft.

All components in a car are cost-optimized. So, it maybe your luck that you get the wrong end of manufacturing tolerances in some components.
Old 11th July 2007, 14:00   #21
BHPian

ok guys so in my case it could happen anytime - on a cold start in the morning (after a weekend of blaring music while driving around the city) or in the middle of a signal, when I try to start my car 10 seconds before it goes green. All i hear is a click - the starter doesn't even kick in. Then I take out the HU completely, switch off blower if on (like on signal) and release brakes (to avoid brake lights drawing power) and then 1-2 clicks later it starts.

I don't face this problem when I go a week or two without listening to music, but when I start actively listening to music, I start facing this problem

Also when it starts after this click click problem, it takes like grater than 0.5 seconds not an instant start. But normally the start is perfect, only when i face this problem the starter sound is weird
Old 11th July 2007, 14:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

does the problem occur when you play the music softly? hip - hop, RAP and Rock use a lot of bass notes and drum bass, this might (as you pointed out) be drawing power faster than the battery can be re-charged.

Quote:
o far it does seem like switching off HU and AC before and after starting the car did have some positive effect.
not the best thing to do- keeping the AC on while starting the car!
Old 30th September 2007, 18:08   #23
BHPian

i think it is the ice

Ok guys i think it is the ice the sub woofer et al drawing too much.
Heres why i feel - I went to hometown for a month to get an ankle operation done (torn ligament) and left car lights on by mistake.

As a result the battery was completely discharged. I took the battery to maruti service station on kagdaspura road (they have a battery shop).
After 24 hrs of charging the guy called me n said is the battery under warranty, I said its the original which came with the car and is not even 2 yrs old.
The guy tells me sir the battery is fully charged but is not showing enough "LOAD". It will not last for too many days, "LOAD is showing very LOW"

What does this mean. Does it mean that my music system n subwoofer ar drawing too much current (load) and hence the battery is gone weak.
After charging the battery seemed ok for one week, besides before starting car, I shut off any electrical things if on (headlamps, emergency lights, blower, music system)

But this weekend again I drove around for 1 hr with lotsa music and had the car start problem again. This time after a halt at ulsoor gurudwara, the car didnt start just click - I had to completely take out music system (as its clock was drawing power), release brakes (brake lights draw power) and shut blower (fan on low, no AC on) and then car started after 2 clicks

If this is battery screwed, then whats a good battery to upgrade to for a musically inclined santro (lotsa rock n hip hop bass) OR should i just goto advaith-hyundai/exide and screw them as I have been telling them that I have starting probs for a year n they say alls fine
Old 30th September 2007, 19:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi
If this is battery screwed, then whats a good battery to upgrade to for a musically inclined santro (lotsa rock n hip hop bass) OR should i just goto advaith-hyundai/exide and screw them as I have been telling them that I have starting probs for a year n they say alls fine
In exchange of the exide battery, they might give U a decent rebate on a new battery if U push them for warranty. If this doesn't happen, get an Amaron.
Old 30th September 2007, 21:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Please get your self starter solenoid and motor checked. Somehow I don't think this is battery related.

Last edited by anupmathur : 30th September 2007 at 21:49.
Old 30th September 2007, 22:39   #26
BHPian

hey Anup - i will get the starter solenoid n motor checked in next scheduled service - but last 3 services i have been telling hyundai about starting probs and they say all fine

btw anyone know what does it mean when battery wallah says battery is charged but load is very low, please get battery changed, it wont last too long. do they mean current cannot be supplied as per load
Old 30th September 2007, 22:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
hey Anup - i will get the starter solenoid n motor checked in next scheduled service - but last 3 services i have been telling hyundai about starting probs and they say all fine
That is always the problem - to get them to once believe that the customer might be right!

Quote:
btw anyone know what does it mean when battery wallah says battery is charged but load is very low, please get battery changed, it wont last too long. do they mean current cannot be supplied as per load
Yes, basically you've got the idea. But as you well know, you do not need to rush into a battery renewal. As long as you're not really going out of town to a desolate place, you can defer it till the damn thing really gives up the ghost. It'll take you a phonecall, some inconvenient waiting and there'll be a guy with a brand new battery and it takes only minutes to replace.
Old 30th September 2007, 23:03   #28
BHPian

yeah i understand its easy if the car get stuck at home, but i am only worried that the car may one day not start on a signal (i shut it down at the world's only 300 second signals found in our bangy) and a bunch of ppl shouting honking in peak traffic with me trying to push a 1000kilo thing to nowhere

btw whats the prices on those really long lasting amaron pro battaraziz and if i do get stuck someday n plan to call for a battery replacement, should it be an oem replacement or is there some kind of a souped up upsize possible with batteries too

next service - I just have to get advaith guys to have a dekho at my car'sself starter solenoid and motor checked. Sometimes i just think they wipe the car n give it back n don't check nothing!!
Old 1st October 2007, 02:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yeah i understand its easy if the car get stuck at home, but i am only worried that the car may one day not start on a signal (i shut it down at the world's only 300 second signals found in our bangy) and a bunch of ppl shouting honking in peak traffic with me trying to push a 1000kilo thing to nowhere
since you said at times it takes longer for the starter to start the car, see if you can completely resolve the problem using a fresh test battery at some shop. if yes, then it's definitely the battery.

buy and keep a spare in ur trunk and replace it when really needed. (learn to replace it yorself, including grounding.)
Old 1st October 2007, 06:58   #30
BHPian

Amaron pro 38B20R ,that's the one with 35 AH rating, should cost you approx. Rs.3,650 all inclusive. And if you do plan to change your battery make sure you go for the Pro series. They have enough juice to power everything in your car.And come with a 4 year warranty to moot

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks