Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2023, 08:51   #16
BHPian

Re: Performance Mods for Tata Revotron engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Are code6 and wolfmoto their handles on tbhp? How do I find them?
I reached out to them from their Instagram handles. Besides, they also have their contact information on their websites I presume

87144 87066 - Wolf Tech Team

Here's the contact I was provided by their Instagram team, not really sure about code6

Cheers
CannedShroud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 09:02   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
My gripe with the AMT is that it's been tuned to shift from 1st to 2nd at 2500rpm. This is way too high. 2nd to 3rd is also at around 2000rpm. Fuel efficiency takes a beating and the jerks are prominent.
Is it possible that the torque below 2500 rpm is not sufficient for all gradients ?

One way to check this is to drive a manual, and try to shift from 1st to 2nd at say 1500 / 2000 rpm on inclines.
Old 11th February 2023, 22:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Theoretically a lot can be done, practically let's just say, you are better off doing just the regular tyre upsize, free flow, after market filters etc.

Anything other than the regular means a lot of research,trial and error on your end. I mean a Tata engine is basically like any engine fundamentally. So that means you should be able to remap, turbo charge an NA engine and boost up one of their turbo engines. However this means that you will need to explore and find the tolerances,limits etc engineered into them a build better solutions or use better components. And the lack of any public information whatsoever is not going to help.

The fact is that for German and Japs their home markets have a very strong aftermarket scene that the manufacturers themselves exploit for better market penetration. That and legally too they are bound to share a lot of service information. Both these aspects are lacking in the Indian scenario. And manufacturers themselves do not want to be seen to encourage something illegal.

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 11th February 2023 at 22:45.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 07:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Theoretically a lot can be done, practically let's just say, you are better off doing just the regular tyre upsize, free flow, after market filters etc.

Anything other than the regular means a lot of research,trial and error on your end. I mean a Tata engine is basically like any engine fundamentally. So that means you should be able to remap, turbo charge an NA engine and boost up one of their turbo engines. However this means that you will need to explore and find the tolerances,limits etc engineered into them a build better solutions or use better components. And the lack of any public information whatsoever is not going to help.

The fact is that for German and Japs their home markets have a very strong aftermarket scene that the manufacturers themselves exploit for better market penetration. That and legally too they are bound to share a lot of service information. Both these aspects are lacking in the Indian scenario. And manufacturers themselves do not want to be seen to encourage something illegal.

Drive on,
Shibu
Yes! That is exactly what I was trying to say. Wherever I go, people tend to say "the components are cheap", "they are unreliable" etc without any strong explanation or experience to back it up.

Unfortunately there seems to be some stigma around the topic of runing these Indian cars, and you summed it up pretty well!

My goal is to try to slowly have this go away. The new offerings from Tata like the Altroz, deserve the love and power. The chassis, the steering, suspension are really very well done. I personally am trying to make incremental changes to the car.. a step at a time. I'm not expecting wonders, as in crazy swaps and what not. But atleast one consolidated thread where we can refer to for experiences, do and don'ts etc.

Even simple stage 1 remaps, maybe a decat. Even that info is very helpful as compared to not have anything AT ALL.

Thanks a lot for your inputs!
Cheers
Old 16th February 2023, 11:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannedShroud View Post
Yes! That is exactly what I was trying to say. Wherever I go, people tend to say "the components are cheap", "they are unreliable" etc without any strong explanation or experience to back it up.
Well there may be an element of truth in these general opinions. While the quality of the components may be fine for the standard use of the car, Indian manufacturers may not build in too much tolerance to handle the extra loading that comes with performance modifications be it handling or engine modifications. This is also a reason why they are able to competitively price their products. And given the lack of information the onus will be on you to figure out and practically experience what these tolerances are. The practical experience may be anything from a shot ball joint to a broken connecting rod - at opposite ends of the pain spectrum

Global manufacturers have both volume and research investment already done and amortised to potentially offer higher quality components at the same prices. Hence being better suited to modifications. Plus since their products need to run globally in a much broader set of situations they tend to have much higher limits.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 11:23   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Well there may be an element of truth in these general opinions.
======
Plus since their products need to run globally in a much broader set of situations they tend to have much higher limits.

Drive on,
Shibu
Very true, totally with you on this one. And as much as it's true, it's also true that till someone actually plays with these engines. We won't know what they are actually capable of.
Imo to a certain aspect it's a chicken and egg scenario
Old 18th February 2023, 20:35   #22
BHPian

Hey guys, need a little bit of help here. I am planning on upgrading my sparks on my Altroz iTurbo.

It is running YR5ME0 - Bosch plugs from factory. I am looking to upgrade to iridium ones due to some misfires I have faced lately. I understand that I can just go with fresh Tata ones but if I am to spend anyway, it would be sweet to get an upgrade.

My reasons to invest in better plugs:
1) Misfires I have faced lately
2) Turbo petrol engines are very sensitive to spark
3) Iridium last an eternity (so probably a fit it and forget it upgrade)
4) NA petrol has seen a lot of improvements with better plugs (yes i know it runs cheaper ones from factory)
5) Why not

The gap that Tata has specified for this specific engine is: 0.7 to 0.8mm.

But I have not been able to find a replacement for these. Seemingly these are specially made but Bosch for Tata? Not really sure.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks and Cheers!
Old 15th September 2023, 19:05   #23
BHPian

Could anyone help me out with iridium plugs - where to actually buy them from?
I have the bs6 Tiago petrol and God I'd do anything for a smoother drive!
Old 27th September 2023, 09:41   #24

Cheaper Turbo
The turbo in the newer BS6 engines is cheaper than the one originally designed by JA Motosport. Does not mean it is worse any way. But it is cheaper, which means certain dynamics that apply there will not apply to the newer engines. But all in all, the nexon shares the same turbo so this does not seem to be much of an issue.
They have used Wastegate Turbocharger based on FGT. This turbocharger is a very basic one which pumps out very little power compared to a proper FGT.

Strict sensor readings and BS6
Ever had an random MIL in a Tata car that was just memorised and you can’t debug or heck even recreate it? That is because of the extremely strict sensor reading guideline setup by Tata. This just means that the range of the readings is preset, which means let's say the intake manifold reading goes up a tad bit from the stock limits. Viola! Limp Me Home Mode! It is clear a lot of power is left on the table for the BS6 norms. As the cylinder head design is the same as the JTPs, as is the power but there is a huge loss in efficiency (fuel and power).
The ECM is detuned as such the turbo charger is not allowed to work in full potential, therefore the extra boost is kicked out as a Waste..

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th September 2023 at 09:54.
the_wanderer1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 00:03   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer1 View Post
Cheaper Turbo
The turbo in the newer BS6 engines is cheaper than the one originally designed by JA Motosport. Does not mean it is worse any way. But it is cheaper, which means certain dynamics that apply there will not apply to the newer engines. But all in all, the nexon shares the same turbo so this does not seem to be much of an issue.
They have used Wastegate Turbocharger based on FGT. This turbocharger is a very basic one which pumps out very little power compared to a proper FGT.
So between the Nexon and the detuned Altroz is there any hardware changes? Some say the Nexon gets a VGT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer1 View Post
Strict sensor readings and BS6

The ECM is detuned as such the turbo charger is not allowed to work in full potential, therefore the extra boost is kicked out as a Waste..
So is there any way around this?
Old 6th November 2023, 16:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuel View Post
Honestly, I don't see any 'performance' in 3 pot Revotron engines, except for those which come with a turbo. The only thing I like about this engine is the low-end torque, which is somewhat similar to diesel engines and it feels like one . After all, it's a 1.2L engine pulling 1000 - 1200 kg plus the weight of passengers and luggage

I had given it a thought though but could not have more time to implement it. The mods which I can propose:
1. NGK iridium spark plugs - already purchased, I'll change them during the next service.
2. I use Amsoil Signature series oil.
3. The air filter box of Tiago/Tigor JTP can be used.

PS - Please replace the gear oil after 10/15K. You will be amazed by the metal particles found in the oil.

Hi All, I've a Tata Tiago XT variant - bs6 petrol model from 2021.
As per manual, on the service that's deu, i should get the Spark Plugs replaced.

How's the feedback on the NGK Iridium - LKR7BIX-P - is this right part number?

How about recommendations on Oil - should i stick to 0w20 or move to 5w30?

Anyone replaced gearbox oil, air filters?

I intend to do this outside of TASC , as my experience has been not that good.
Old 8th November 2023, 18:13   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhgupta710 View Post

Yes, I am using LKR7BIX-P. Now, please don't ask me the changes I have observed

I think the OEM recommendation is 5W30 only. I have been using Amsoil with great satisfaction. Mobil 1 is also a good option.

I have replaced the gear oil last year and I would recommend to change this too. You'll be surprised to see the metal particles in the drained oil. I also change the air filter every year.
Attached Thumbnails
Performance Mods for Tata Revotron engines-img20230418155855.jpg  

Performance Mods for Tata Revotron engines-img20230418155945.jpg  

soulfuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 19:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuel View Post
Yes, I am using LKR7BIX-P. Now, please don't ask me the changes I have observed

I think the OEM recommendation is 5W30 only. I have been using Amsoil with great satisfaction. Mobil 1 is also a good option.

I have replaced the gear oil last year and I would recommend to change this too. You'll be surprised to see the metal particles in the drained oil. I also change the air filter every year.
Hey Buddy, thank you for prompt response.
BS6 2021 model - Manual says 0w20 as recommended oil grade.
1) Would opting for 0w30 or 40 make a diff?
2) Any clue if Shell Helix HX8 - Ow20 or Shell Helix Ultra 0w30 - is better than Mobil1?
saurabhgupta710 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 21:47   #29

Quote:
Hey Buddy, thank you for prompt response.
BS6 2021 model - Manual says 0w20 as recommended oil grade.
1) Would opting for 0w30 or 40 make a diff?
2) Any clue if Shell Helix HX8 - Ow20 or Shell Helix Ultra 0w30 - is better than Mobil1?
Bro, it is wise to stick with the recommended grade of engine oil. However, experts say that ...W20 or ..W30 does not make big difference in real world, except small drop in fuel economy and acceleration. I am using 5W40(Mobil 1) happily. But, I'll go back to 5W30 in my next oil change for sure.

But my take is, going for full synthetic is good when one use his/her car at least 10K/year. That justifies the amount spent.
soulfuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 09:23   #30

Quote:

I've installed the NGK Iridiums on my BS 6.1 Nexon and trust me, the engine has become very refined, the throttle response is smoother, the efficiency has also increased marginally.

Also I'm using Mobil 3000 Fully Synthetic 0w20, Shell Gear oil. I'm loving it.
It is recommended to use 0w20 for BS 6, since w30 is thicker but works well only when the temperature outside is too hot.
the_wanderer1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks