Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2007, 10:56   #1
BHPian

Oil consumption in a Baleno

Calling all Baleno owners Vp13, mclaren and the rest. I normally service my car every 5000 kms and find that the oil level is close to the lower indicator at the end of 5000 kms (it is midway after the service). Is this normal? And what is the viscosity grade specified by Maruti for a place like Mumbai?
Old 13th July 2007, 11:01   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

I think the grade of oil is 20W40. Also, I don't think the engine consumes that much oil specially in the 5k km mark. I could be wrong though.
Old 13th July 2007, 12:00   #3
Team-BHP Support

i dont think 5000 km will cause oil drop, unless its having small leak (check around oil filter) or engine is consuming oil.
Old 13th July 2007, 18:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

buddy your engine is consuming oil for sure . please check if it is a leak or if its oil burning. get the spark plugs checked. are any gaskets leaking? did you change the type of oil? mineral to semi synthetic to synthetic? was any work done on engine and its accessories in past? how does the engine sound these days?
check if the oil filter is installed properly and the oil drain plug is tight enough. lift the car at any local car wash shop and do under car inspection before washing. wet marks around should show up. while under the car check at the small hole on gearbox at its lower side for mud accumulation near the small vent. this can tell if the engine rear bearing seal is leaking. i had this trouble last week.
Old 13th July 2007, 19:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
Calling all Baleno owners Vp13, mclaren and the rest. I normally service my car every 5000 kms and find that the oil level is close to the lower indicator at the end of 5000 kms (it is midway after the service). Is this normal? And what is the viscosity grade specified by Maruti for a place like Mumbai?

No matter which car - NO CAR is supposed to consume oil in the normal course of running. 5k is normal service interval mileage (could also be longer). There is something more to it. It merits an inspection by your MASS at the earliest.
Old 13th July 2007, 20:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

OT:
Mcl, U use 20W40 in ur redliner baleno??
Old 14th July 2007, 00:14   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Not sure Nitrous baba. Oil gets filled in the garage. Its not synthetic though. Will be changing over real soon.
Old 14th July 2007, 07:35   #8
BHPian

What's method that you use to check the oil level ? I mean do you check it when the engine is cold OR when the engine has been brought up to normal running temp.?
What does the service manual say ?

Thanks,
rb2399
Old 14th July 2007, 10:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
NO CAR is supposed to consume oil in the normal course of running. 5k is normal service interval mileage (could also be longer). There is something more to it. It merits an inspection by your MASS at the earliest.
All engines consume oil. The quantum depends on engine size and running conditions. I haven't noticed any oil leak as such and the engine sounds fine. The exhaust at start-up too is fine. As some of you said, it may be that there may be a barely noticeable leak. I shall ask the dealer to check at the next service. Thanks to all of you for your replies. And yes the grade is 20W40.
Old 14th July 2007, 12:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
What's method that you use to check the oil level ? I mean do you check it when the engine is cold OR when the engine has been brought up to normal running temp.?
What does the service manual say ?

Thanks,
rb2399
U need to check when the engine is cold.. basically when the oil has settled down.

Also, when we switch to synthetic, Do we need to flush out the existing engine oil ? I don't think we can top up .. right?
Old 14th July 2007, 14:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
5k is just too little for so much oil to be consumed

and also 5k is too little for an oil change unless ur time duration is over 4 months for this mileage.
Old 15th July 2007, 16:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All engines consume oil. The quantum depends on engine size and running conditions. I haven't noticed any oil leak as such and the engine sounds fine. The exhaust at start-up too is fine. As some of you said, it may be that there may be a barely noticeable leak. I shall ask the dealer to check at the next service. Thanks to all of you for your replies. And yes the grade is 20W40.

Well in which case my cars are "different" - coz they do not consume oil. I still think you should get it checked. Your call sire !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks