Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2023, 19:32   #1
BHPian

Low oil level after a service visit & oil change

I have driven 7KM to my home after the 75K service of my Skoda Rapid 1.5Tdi.
The oil level is at half way mark
The service center states that they have filled 4.3 liters as billed. I stated that it has been so for all past services but the oil was close to top level on the dipstick (not midway as noted this time)
Am I over responding? Requesting guidanceLow oil level after a service visit & oil change-20230320_175852.jpg
KANNURAN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 23:01   #2
BHPian

re: Low oil level after a service visit & oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANNURAN View Post
The service center states that they have filled 4.3 liters as billed. I stated that it has been so for all past services but the oil was close to top level on the dipstick (not midway as noted this time)
Am I over responding? Requesting guidanceAttachment 2431276
First ensure that you are measuring the volume as mentioned in the owner's manual. On a cold engine, it may be equal to top level. I don't know how it is measured for you car.

Secondly, it is ok to have the oil anywhere in between the low and max level. Observe for a month or two, if the level goes down further, top up to max level.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 23:09   #3

re: Low oil level after a service visit & oil change

Quote:
Hi, I have been in the same boat many a times,I have observed the same thing after every service , basically if they let the old oil drain out completely and refill, then 4.3 litres of oil filled will show uptill the half mark on the dip stick. Recently, I had a oil change and I had to topup about 300ml over 4.3 litres to bring the level on the max mark on the dipstick. So there is nothing to worry about. If you find the level touch the low mark you can top up about 500ml at that point. Relax and enjoy the drive.
kugo_93 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 07:55   #4
BHPian

Re: Low oil level after a service visit & oil change

Quote:
Hey i think you are confused. So the oil level measuring stick present in all cars will have the markings for minimum oil level that must be there in the oil reservoir and max oil level that should not be exceeded. Like how it is seen in this picture, oil level anywhere in between these 2 marks is totally fine. An oil level that's midway between the min and max marks doesn't say the oil is filled only half of the oil tank. You don't have anything to worry about.

An oil level below the min mark means you are risking engine/gear ox damage due to poor lubrication, and an oil level higher than max mark means you are risking blowing all the oil seals, leading to oil leaks into unwanted places for eg. Into a dry clutch system. So always have the oil level between max and min marks.
apramey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 10:38   #5
BHPian

Could you confirm that you pulled the dipstick first thing in the morning, on a cold engine and one wipe down?
Regardless, it's not low. It's alright for driving and could be double confirmed with the absence of any check engine/oil lamps on the instrument binnacle.
Old 22nd April 2023, 11:07   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Could you confirm that you pulled the dipstick first thing in the morning, on a cold engine and one wipe down?
Regardless, it's not low. It's alright for driving and could be double confirmed with the absence of any check engine/oil lamps on the instrument binnacle.
Neither the CEL or the oil lamp on your dashboard are an indication of the oil being a little low. The oil lamp is actuated by a pressure sensor. So it is technically not an oil low level indication but a low oil pressure indication. On most cars it won’t come on, until your oil level is dangerously low. Usually way below the low mark on the dipstick, often enough the oil level is so low it won’t show on the dipstick at all!

The CEL has nothing to do with the oil level at all. Although I could imagine if you would ignore a low oil pressure for long enough it might show up too. Just before the engine seizes!

I only know of a few cars that have an actual oil level indication, rather than an oil pressure. On some cars with an oil pressure gauge the gauge registers the oil level prior to engine start with the ignition switched on. As soon as you start it reads oil pressure. Had one like that decades ago on a Renault 25 I recall.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2023, 11:16   #7
BHPian

Thank you Sir.

Given that Skoda service centers use a precise 4.3 liters for refilling the Rapid 1.5tdi after a oil and filter change (stating it to be a stipulation from Skoda) and the resulting level only comes to less than half way up the dipstick, what is the SAFE LEVEL to maintain?
Should I top up for the level be closer to the top notch on the dipstick, or leave as is till the level dips further and then top up to the midway mark?

Thank you.
Old 23rd April 2023, 11:26   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Given that Skoda service centers use a precise 4.3 liters for refilling the Rapid 1.5tdi after a oil and filter change (stating it to be a stipulation from Skoda) and the resulting level only comes to less than half way up the dipstick, what is the SAFE LEVEL to maintain?
Should I top up for the level be closer to the top notch on the dipstick, or leave as is till the level dips further and then top up to the midway mark?
It really doesn’t matter. Anywhere between the max and minimum mark on your dipstick is fine and ensures proper lubrication and protection for the engine.

Personally, I never add oil until the level gets close to the min level.
As all my cars are at least twenty years old I tend to keep the oil level usually below half and not near the max. Older engines tend to use some oil and the higher the oil level the more oil they tend to use.

So, do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Just make sure you follow the oil level check procedure as stated in the owners manual. Which usually means checking the oil level with the engine cold and the car sitting level.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks