Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2023, 16:21   #16
BANNED

Re: Dilemma: Install auto clutch, or buy a new car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
He got it done from AutoMate Pune

Unless you specifically need the high seating of the tall stance of the Punch
I am looking at the high seating, Punch works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Repair the car clutch or get a new car. Retro fitment is too risky as you never know how the car will behave in traffic.
The clutch has been changed, the vehicle still remains the same. Thanks for the advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
There have been discussions earlier regarding the autoclutch, and my suggestion - avoid. Just get another even if used - either a TC or a CVT transmission.
Will look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I evaluated this in 2019. It works.
But installation involves some drilling and wiring etc. Which I didn't want to do at the time.
But they are nice people and obliging too. The idea is good but the ‘finesse’ of the product could be better.
Thanks for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor View Post
I exactly wanted to say the same thing that the problem is with your pressure plate.
Now commercial part
30000 KMs in 15 years says that car is not being used regularly. If you can afford, go for a new or used automatic and it would be a good decision because you anyways keep car for long time.
If you decide to keep SX4, you will anyways sell it after 5-6 years.
Pressure plate has been changed twice, the clutch still is very hard. Also the new scrapping policy won't allow me to re register after 5 years, I guess you are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I would recommend against it. You can get the clutch plates changed especially the slave and master cylinder. I got mine changed at 60k kms because clutch was hard. After that the clutch became pretty light. One option is to sell this car and get an automatic SX4. Anyway resale value wasnt good so the amount you were planning to pay for the auto clutch conversion can be used to get an AT SX4 itself.

On the other hand, if you list your SX4 for sale, please keep me posted.
The complete clutch set, that is the Fly wheel, clutch plate, pressure plate slave and master cylinders were changed around 4 years ago, the clutch remains hard. Yes I will keep you posted about the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptonMonkey View Post
I would say go for option 2.
Apart from some of the VFM cars suggested by other members such as the Baleno and Ignis, I recommend one of the CVT vehicles such as the Nissan Magnite, Renault Kiger, or Honda Amaze. CVTs drive smoother than AMTs usually, and on a long-term basis. As always, do take a test drive of all candidate vehicles and decide for yourself.
Thanks for the suggestions, I will test drive the cars mentioned once I am free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post
May be I can take cues from you on extending RC, will send DM.
Sure, I got it done without any hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
From how I see it, there are two problems
- Clutch is hard which MASS is saying is normal for an Sx4.
- Even if the clutch is light, you are not supposed to be driving a manual transmission vehicle due to your back problem.
The way I see it is that the auto-clutch is a good tool for you. It does look like a college project but reviews say it is very reliable and works very well.
The other advantage I see is that, you can remove it from Sx4 whenever you sell it and put it in any other car that you buy. And since you have an auto clutch, you need not buy an automatic car which costs around 1.5 lacs more and is also heavier and lesser fuel efficient (TC gearboxes). You will be able to buy the latest car with manual transmission and use the auto clutch straight on that.
Thanks for the suggestions, even if we install autoclutch, my dad will insist on getting an automatic, also installing it in a brand new car might create some issues, will stay away from it.
Piyush Kanthak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 18:19   #17
BHPian

Since the car is already 15 years old which proves that you prefer to keep it for a long period of time and you have requirement of an automatic car hence you should go for a new one. Amaze CVT would fall in your budget but as you mentioned you need high seating so check Punch and Ignis amt also do test out i10 Nios amt.
Old 2nd November 2023, 23:01   #18

Can I modify my Ciaz MT to semi-automatic or automatic transmission?

I own a Ciaz (2020 made) manual transmission car. There is absolutely nothing to complain for this beauty (except for some more power). But, fate had other plans and I was diagnosed with a disc bulge, resulting in pain in my left leg when the clutch is depressed.

The itch to move to an automatic due to the pain has been on since 2022. But, Ciaz is just 3 years old and ran a mere 17K Km.

Moving to an automatic seems a best option. But, selling a young car is not facing acceptance from my heart. I have been browsing the net and found options to convert manual to a automatic (not completely though).

What are the complications and implications if I opt for this modifications? Or should I sell the car and go for an automatic. Please suggest.
Old 3rd November 2023, 13:34   #19
BHPian

Re: Can I modify my Ciaz MT to semi-automatic or automatic transmission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KushKaun View Post
I own a Ciaz (2020 made) manual transmission car. There is absolutely nothing to complain for this beauty (except for some more power). But, fate had other plans and I was diagnosed with a disc bulge, resulting in pain in my left leg when the clutch is depressed.

The itch to move to an automatic due to the pain has been on since 2022. But, Ciaz is just 3 years old and ran a mere 17K Km.

Moving to an automatic seems a best option. But, selling a young car is not facing acceptance from my heart. I have been browsing the net and found options to convert manual to a automatic (not completely though).

What are the complications and implications if I opt for this modifications? Or should I sell the car and go for an automatic. Please suggest.
Sell the car and go for automatic.
The headache of convertion is not worth it nor is it reliable.
You will have more headache then peace.
Factory automatic is factory automatic.
scorpian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 14:19   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Can I modify my Ciaz MT to semi-automatic or automatic transmission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KushKaun View Post
I

I had written elsewhere on the Forum about this Auto Clutch thing. I had evaluated it in 2019 when I had a broken foot and could not drive my beloved Manual Yeti. I also hated the idea of selling it thought it was 8 years old at the time.
But while this Auto Clutch is a nice concept and actially quite effective in the field, on their demo vehicle, the execution is a bit crude. If the unit and its accoutrements could have been more slick and had greater fit and finish and finesse, I would have been very tempted. But I didn’t have the heart to disrupt even the carpeting of my Yeti in order to fix it so I gave it a pass.
Here are some pictures of the Auto Clutch installed in the Demo Honda WRV and the Brochure.
Attached Thumbnails
Dilemma: Install auto clutch, or buy a new car?-img_5006.jpeg  

Dilemma: Install auto clutch, or buy a new car?-img_5002.jpeg  

Dilemma: Install auto clutch, or buy a new car?-img_5003.jpeg  

Dilemma: Install auto clutch, or buy a new car?-img_5007.jpeg  

Dilemma: Install auto clutch, or buy a new car?-img_5008.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 14:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak View Post
I am looking at the high seating, Punch works for me.
If you are looking for Punch AMT, test drive only Punch AMT, not Tiago AMT and Punch manual. Punch is a nice little car, but its AMT might or might not be to your liking/driving style. It is quite different from Tiago/Tigor AMT. I have Punch AMT, and I am fine with it (still I prefer my Hexa XTA for its smoothness). My wife doesn't like driving Punch AMT as AMT is too eager and causes some scary situation in stop-go-stop traffic. So test drive it extensively in heavy traffic.

My friend bought Honda Amaze CVT, and he is repenting his decision as he did not test drive Amaze CVT, and he went along with what is written online about Honda Amaze CVT. So test drive the exact car which you want to buy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks